Experience with Lithium-Ion jump starters? | FerrariChat

Experience with Lithium-Ion jump starters?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Jun 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Do these things work as advertised? We are considering buying a car in the UK but, the car would sit in an off-site storage garage for approximately 6 months annually. The garage has no electricity available so no opportunity for a batt tender. Being able to walk over to the garage - about a mile - with lightweight "insurance" that the car will start would be mighty handy!

For years I have stored my 328 (and motorcycles) for 3-6 months at a time by disconnecting the battery. I do not like using chargers that are unattended, even if electricity is available. I would do the same with the UK car but want the ability to easily start it IF the battery self-discharged to the point where the starter would not operate.

FWIW, my 328 has, until the last attempt, always started right up after reconnecting the batt. A few months ago it failed to start when I tried to move it out of storage so I had to remove the batt, take it home, charge it, take it back. For the first time, the jump starter would have been useful for the 328! TBF, the battery was 5-6 years old so not all that surprising...though annoying!

SO...anyone have any experience with the Li jump starters? Any particular type/model?

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have one. It works fine for starting as a booster if the battery is weak. Don't know if it would work if the battery is completely dead.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. airdelroy

airdelroy Formula Junior

May 10, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Richardson
    My mother in law bought me a Halo Bolt years ago. I was highly dubious as most of those devices are usually dead when I need to use them. I charged it up, put it back in the case, and threw it on the work bench and expected to never use it again. About a year later I needed a jump on something, as the car battery was completely dead. I tried the Halo and to my surprise it fired the car right up. I have since used it many times and have never had it be dead when I needed it. I even used it for a lengthy start on an outboard where it turned the motor over ~20 times or so. Ive been VERY impressed with this battery.

Aaron

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I used this one in the shop constantly for the past 2 years. Unless the battery is DEAD (say, less than 7-8V) it will start the car.

greg328 likes this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks guys!!! :)

6. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a Top Vision brand jump starter. These new jump starters are great. I can start my old diesel farm tractor in sub freezing weather, something the regular battery has a very hard time doing even when fully charged. Spins it over like it's a 75* day. It can do at least a dozen starts before it needs to be recharged. Lots of test videos on YouTube.

7. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I have an Amazon equivalent of the Tack above. Mine even has the compass - that changes 45 degrees when the box is on. It is impressive what a little box can do. Yes, this will probably jump start the car from dead or nearly dead even if the jumper hasn't been charged in many months.

8. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I have the Imazing charger/jump starter. This holds a charge for a long time (months) and still starts a car. I've used it on my BMW 840Ci which has two batteries and requires a strong jump to start. This works every time. I have also used it to charge my phone and other chargeable equipment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Luis A.

Luis A. Karting

Jul 14, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    This video was helpful. Some are better than others…

10. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    This is the one I have. No issues. And has come in handy when someone is looking for jumper cables.

Tvjake2 likes this.
  11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yesterday we purchased a 2019 Mini Cooper and will be keeping it in the space/method I referred to in post #1. I watched other videos of the specific application (sub 2-litre car engines) and a Noco GP20 started a larger engine than the Mini's 1.5 litre, 3cyl engine with no trouble. I figured a bit more power wasn't a bad thing - so I ordered a Noco GP40. Thanks again for the input/video!!

It's amazing to me how battery technology has progressed recently - the idea that something you can easily hold in one hand could provide sufficient power to start a car engine is mind-blowing. A bit more advancement and they'll have e-cars/motos with sufficient range for me to buy them!! ;)

12. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    BTW - This one comes with a cigarette lighter attachment and I used the battery and the attachment to run my 12v car vacuum. I ran it for about 30 minutes all together and it only dropped down to 77%.

13. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I once had to start my 328 4 or 5 times over maybe a 2 hour period with one of the small battery packs. It was amazing and now resides in my car full time. I put a reminder on my calendar every 3 months to charge the charger. It seldom needs it.

14. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Yep, same accessories. I really like the digital meter versus a good light/bad light situation.

15. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    i just purchased a noco gb-40 to shock my porsche boxster back to life should the occassion arise.

the porsche's present battery is 4-yrs. old and i know it's time is approaching. however, from what
    i read on the ACM-type batteries is that their avg. life expectancy is better than 4-5yrs. therefore
    i've decided to replace the 718 battery this fall during lay-up season.

at any rate, i purchased the noco as a jump-start device and nothing more.

folks i've talked to tell me they are a good insurance policy even for a stone dead battery jump.

16. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    i also have a Noco gb-70, good make, didn't want to buy a cheap Chinese knock off variety , brought USA made. motor trade people over here said they were good.
    (probably find out now battery pack comes from china):(

17. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The Imazing jump starter looks identical to my Top Vision, just a different name on the case. Even the accessories and carrying pouch is identical.

18. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I also have an Imazing. Never had to use it on my own 308GT4 which I store with the battery isolated though I did have to use a much larger conventional external battery to jump start in France a few years ago in a heat wave when the battery decided it had enough though subsequent tests showed it was fine and I am still using it 3 years later.

However I did use my Imazing a few weeks ago at a show to start a 348 with a flat battery and it worked perfectly.

19. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Noco is one of the more solid brands and it's available through amazon