430 - PPF $$ | FerrariChat

430 PPF $$

Discussion in '360/430' started by Felix Yuen, Jun 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    hi, just want to get a rough estimate on how much everyone pays for their PPF (paint protection film)
    i my self am looking to get the front end of my 430 wrapped to protect against rock chips.
    i know prices have gotten better over the years and material have also improved in technologies

please tell me where you are located, price you paid, what you got done and what material was used.

2. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I paid about $2200 for mine which covered bumper, hood/bonnet, fenders, mirrors, wheel edges, bottom intake and rear bumper side corners. This was in NJ and combined with paint/correction, ceramic coating, ceramic window tint all around and a bunch of other services which may have lowered the cost since the total bill was over 5k.

DiabloTerr likes this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Several thousand to put it on, then several thousand to take it off when it uglies out. Then quite a few thousand to repaint the car if paint is damaged when you remove it. And then, the car paint doesn't look quite right with it on, because it's coated in plastic.

You're better off leaving your car alone. You can always respray affected areas if they get damaged, but given how few miles most of these cars are driven, and how much time they are in the garage, Ferraris are probably among the last vehicles on the planet that need protection from the elements.

I know that's an answer to a question that you didn't ask, but felt obligated to respond after my own PPF removal journey. :eek:

That being said, if you must install PPF, you might think about some PPF to protect your PPF. :D

4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Not to mention, once past it's life expectancy (and it still may look fine) it should be removed and replaced every 4 to 5 years before it becomes a nightmare to remove. As Husker knows all too well ;)

timjen88 likes this.
  5. Daryl Zernick

Daryl Zernick Karting

Jul 7, 2020
    South Bend, IN
    Full Name:
    Daryl A. Zernick
    DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE ROCKER PANELS!

Reading the above, I would agree, if you don't drive it, don't worry about it. For me, I love driving my 430 Spider on every sunny day. I have a lot of rock chips that have been touched up, but at the end of this year, I plan to have the hood, front fenders, bumper, and rockers (lots of chips near the rear vents) resprayed. I will let it set/cure over the winter then get it paint corrected, PPF'd, and ceramic coated in the spring. Cost for the spring job will be about $5k.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  6. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    Don't do it. It destroys the paint and will look dull after 2 years.
    Just respray front every 5 years. Cheaper and looks much better.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I paid a little over $1500 for the ClearBra brand PPF on the Hood, front bumper, fenders, mirrors and rocker panels. It took them 3 tires to do it correctly, because the 60" wide goods aren't wide enough to get all the way across the front end on the fenders in a single piece without some creative stretching.
    I agree with some that the paint doesn't look exactly correct in some lighting, but the trade-off is worth it to me since I drive the car.
    I don;t know how haasnoot figures a respray every 5 years is cheaper: I had the front bumper resprayed so that the PPF would lay correctly; the rock-chips were too severe and it wouldn't lay right. I paid over $3500 for a top-quality respray of the front bumper ONLY, even with me removing the bumper and taking it to them. I asked them to give me an idea what it would cost to do the whole front end, and they told me to count on more than $12k. Yes, this is top-tier work; why would you do otherwise on a Ferrari?

KC360 FL, DeTomasoGTS74 and JSP like this.
  8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    some hither, others yon.

9. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Full PPF on my 458 for about $6k and at a friend house after getting ceramic coating. I don’t see how it’s going to look dull. Also have a 10 year warranty on the PPF film.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

colorfull and Qavion like this.
  10. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Modern PPF is much clearer than the older stuff and last much longer. I plan on replacement when 7 to 10 years old with the new PPF. I do agree old PPF sucks and I did have some clear pull so I had to have my bumper repainted, but that was a good thing so I started with a clean slate and fixed underside of the bumper.

If you get the whole front covered by someone with skills, you won't even notice the PPF. Even more so if you have a ceramic coating on the PPF and the rest of the car.

11. DeTomasoGTS74

DeTomasoGTS74 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric

This. And this doesn’t even factor in a diminished value on the car once it’s been resprayed. I spent a very long time looking for my Scud and could have moved on a couple cars that had front end resprays or missing service, but passed. There is absolutely a value hit when a well preserved, well-maintained example has been repainted.

I had all of my Scud covered including rear cf diffuser and interior carbon doors for $9k. The most important thing is finding the best installer and a shop thats willing to take their time pulling the ppf. The shop that did mine pulled everything off after 12 years without lifting anything, but they treated it as if it was their own. Ask the shop to do a light ceramic coating under the ppf before application. It’s a trick that will help prevent lift years down the road.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

TommyTheV, gzachary and jag-oo-r like this.
  12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I spent 8k CAD for full body protection, couldn't be happier. Paint correction, self-healing stek dyno and then ceramic coating on top.

Keeps car in perfect showroom condition all the time and with edges wrapped you can't even tell it's there. 10+ year warranty. Bug splats come off super easy. It's super important to find a trustworthy installer that specializes in exotics. You get what you pay for.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  13. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    this brings up a good point of discussion: Assuming there is no body damage, does a quality respray diminish the value of a Ferrari? I have owned 4, and all have had various paintwork at some point. Hoods, fenders, bumpers. I even had a yellow 348 that had entirely new paint with clear. I never contemplated that any of my cars were worth less, but I do hear this sometimes. What are the thoughts on this?

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    For my entire 430 in Xpel (pre-cut kit) the cost was $6,000 including Clearplex on the windshield. This is in Southern California (Huntington Beach).

Ray

15. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The only Ferrari I have owned (so far) is a Scud. I spent a long time looking for mine and my experience was that anything beyond a front bumper respray absolutely takes a hit. I cannot speak for the other models.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Yes. I was just curious as to what the opinions were on this. I neither bought my Ferraris for a discount, nor sold them for a discount, because they had paint work somewhere along the way. Maybe me and subsequent buyers were too dumb to know the difference. I would hazard that most Ferraris older than 10-15 years are going to have some paint work along the way, unless it is some museum piece sitting in a bubble.

17. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    If you have triple layer paint on your car, resprays are costly to say the least. For some colors, sending the car back to Zanasi would be best to do for resale. If you spend $15K to $30K on triple layer paint and drive the car frequently, driving without PPF is basically a pre-pay on a $30K respray job. And it might not even look right as frequently tlp just on one panel won’t match the other panels.

I also know of other buyers who have passed because of resprary. I just passed on a car with a respray. The potential hit in future value is too great for this car.

With my cars with quality PPF, almost indistinguishable compared to the paint now. You have to tell someone it’s there. Cars have won Cavallino Classic awards with PPF on them at shows. It’s a different technology than it was 10-15 years ago and getting better continuously.

Flea7 likes this.
  18. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    I forgot to add that if a potential buyer knows that a panel was resprayed, they will probably be nervous. The question will be why. Sometimes it’s more than “ rock chips.” Most people who buy Ferraris don’t want to be buying one with an undisclosed incident thst required a respray.

19. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    This is why if you respray the bumper or any part due to pulling clear from removing old PPF or rock chips, take pictures of the “damage” and the repair mid-paint so you can show there wasn’t any physical damage.

I had one of those plastic bumper “nodules” they put on the back of US spec 996 Carrera’s repainted because someone lightly scratched it with their car. I took good pics and had the documentation for the repaint so when I sold it to get my GT3 I was able to defend the minor car fax incident and not take too much of a beating on a car that was only a few years old at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gzachary likes this.
  20. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    1) repaint will de-value the car, paint will never match 100% and will always be a shade off even if you follow the correct paint code...new paint vs old paint.
    2) repaint and it's on carfax .... more de-valuation....i will not touch a f car that had any carfax history
    3) new generation ppf will not rip off ur original paint if you remove it correction.
    4) new generation ppf will not yellow and has self healing property
    5) new generation ppf is thin .... if you pay to wrap around all the edges...its not noticeable

thats why new generation ppf is the way to go .
    i went with XPEL products and am loving it..... use the car without worry about scratches, rock chips and it will always look new !

thank you for everyone input !

21. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    well said... i picked one with no carfax history ..and no respray as far as i can tell with a paint depth meter.

22. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    full car re-spray ?? damn ... if i were a potential buyer, i would stay away ,,, i would wonder why it was repainted....may be previous owner didn't treat it well that why it needed a full respray ?
    sure you can tell me a story .... i dont have to believe it tho.
    thats why it is much harder to sell a car with a full respray

23. Felix Yuen

Felix Yuen Karting

Sep 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Felix Yuen
    lol do you paint your ferrari at maaco ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #24 Husker, Jul 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    I think some of this comes down to what sort of car one is talking about. A 1-year old Lexus that has had a full repaint, yes, I can see considerable diminished value. A newer Ferrari, same. But a classic/vintage Ferrari - anything 20 years old or older - I have to expect has had some bright work along the way. And if it hasn't, I am worried that it hasn't been driven enough to keep the mechanicals in shape.

I own a 2010 Land Cruiser in Amazon Green that is in mint condition @ 145,000 miles. But it's in mint condition because I keep it that way. If there's a scratch, it's in the body shop for correct repair. I think every panel on the car, save the roof, has been repainted at least once. I've also replaced several interior panels, windshield, etc.

They Toyota dealership here offered me $35,000 for it last week. Never said a word about any paintwork.

I would have a hard time begrudging someone for keeping their car tip-top, be it mechanical or cosmetic. Sounds like I am in the minority.

KC360 FL likes this.
  25. DeTomasoGTS74

Dec 13, 2016
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You asked if a quality respray would devalue the car. Keep in mind in your question that is the only variable. If two of any type of car were identicle, but one had been re-sprayed and the other one has not, and they both are in the same condition, which would you buy?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app