rebody or replica California SWB in Boca Raton | FerrariChat

rebody or replica California SWB in Boca Raton

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by wolfchen75, Jul 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not very pretty for the price.

2. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    I agree, I don't understand the 7 figures being asked for various 250 recreations,the actual metal work is > $100,000, a donor chassis another $100k, add $100k for general work and you have maximum $300,000 in your vehicle , so where do sellers think they are worth more than a million

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Probably due to the cost of a real one being $10-$15m, they think charging 10% is a 'bargain'?

turbo-joe likes this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    3561 GT:
    Another genuine 250 GTE 2+2 that has been butchered and destroyed and the identity used for a crappy replica.
    Some people really should go to jail.

Marcel Massini

5. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    For the benefit of those less discerning; please recount a few of the most obviously incorrect items: overall shape?, details of chrome trim? wrong upholstery? other?
    TIA
    (PS @wolfchen75 )
    Nowhere in North America could you or anyone else create this car (correct or incorrect as it may be...) for the $$$ you have stated. No one, no where. Period.
    If you are certain you can do this, I will sign a contract with you today.
    Change my mind.

ronc52 and TTR like this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Addendum: not aimed only at @wolfchen75 , but at all who throw out unrealistic figures for creating (replicating?) a car. Back up your numbers with invoices or don't bother posting.

7. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    The '56 Continental they also have in stock is much more appealing purchase.

john

8. wolfchen75

wolfchen75 Karting

Aug 7, 2004
    I guess my figures are way out of date, that was the cost in the early 90's when prices and parts were more reasonable, been out of the market too long

still it's an outrageous price IMO

tritone likes this.
  9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may be right for north america

in the phillipines I know a very talented sheet metal guy how once did a replica body from a maserati year 55 or 56. not know what type it was, but the owner ( from GB ) has the original car and wants a replica for fun racing. the costs for the aluminum body has been around 35K US $, without paint

tritone likes this.
  10. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I certainly agree that non-NA prices will in many cases be lower; but you will need to be vigilant that you are getting what you want/expect. Even in NA you may find an individual fabricator, with an eye as good as his skills, but they are few & far between. We have seen a couple of them right here on FChat, usually in the "Other" section, building their own cars. (rarely vintage Ferrari, as the scrutiny would drive them crazy!)
    As well, in my original rant, I was assuming serious $$$ buïlders, on the level of Dennison and Motion, et al, where one expects not only quality of build, but absolute accuracy of line & proportion. I have watched the $ add up, breathtakingly. I will also admit those are for the most part "real" cars; seldom/never with non-matching plates/docs/provenance.

11. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I'm not good at explaining what isn't right but to me, without going into minutia, the overall proportion is wrong. Just does not flow like a real one does. I guess it makes it easier if all you ever saw were real ones before you started seeing reproductions, your brain remembers what it's supposed to look like.