Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 56 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Let's not start on the subject as it boils my urine.

Love Hamilton has a racer but he infuriates me at times.

Talking about how hard he had it growing up, you seen the house he grew up in for most of his life?

I can assure you my parents couldn't afford to take me karting, football and athletics was as good as it got.

I don't have to remind folk at work how hard done by I was, i just get on with life like a man.

Hey I'm all for helping kids in life but playing the victim is not a trait anyone should admire.

People have risen from the bottom to be a roaring success, that's the attitude we need.

sammysaber, stavura, Picchu88 and 4 others like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Of course he wasn’t poor or that poor. It’s a sports that is way too expensive. He likes to sell a good story and wants to pretend he is someone he isn’t really.
    My parents were not poor but would never have been able to afford go karting so that says a lot about his dad’s love and drive for him but also about the kind of funds the dad had access to. Kudos to him for believing in his son.

That being said, he certainly was a lot less financially wealthy than some other drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wass85 likes this.
  3. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Of course he wasn't as rich as a Rosberg or a Verstappen but it's all relative isn't it.

He must really live in his own bubble with his constant virtue signalling, he thinks he's speaking for the masses when in reality he's pandering to the celebrity life style.

Bas, sammysaber, stavura and 4 others like this.
  4. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Let’s remember he’s the same guy that fired his father because he thought he could do better himself.
    Typical teenager antics but in the end someone is molding that vision he sees about being super woke, but most likely he’s just reading Twitter

Bas, Flavio_C and Wass85 like this.
  5. Wass85

Wass85 Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Damon Smith
    Oh I don't think for one minute he's the brains behind it all but the onus is still on him IMO.

Bas likes this.
  6. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    The posts on this page should all be removed for obvious P&R content.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Whilst I’m no fan of how the thread has originated I don’t see politics and religion in commenting about his upbringing and financial situation ?

Bas likes this.
  8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    P&R posts (discussing racism & diversity in F1) removed.

30-day thread ban for gh0st0 for initiating and continuing the discussion.

7-day thread bans for Bas, Wass85 and FordGTDriver for replying to the discussion.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  9. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    I was referring to the posts.and opinion about the Hamilton commission which have seemingly now been removed.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Ah okay i missed those.
    Right now I’m excited about the race this weekend and see what rhe sprint format brings!! I’m wondering if reliability will be a factor!

11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    And now for something completely different.

I just finished reading Life at the Limit, Graham Hill's autobiography which concludes rather abruptly with his hospital convalescence following the accident at Watkins Glen. I really found it striking how unreliable and poorly prepared the cars were, and how few World Championship events were held each season. Safety and medical units were virtually nonexistent. The racers were a fraternity--genuine friends--and good sportsmanship was expected. It's amazing how they accepted the risks and the loss of their comrades. It just affirms the futility of comparing drivers of different eras: 8 GPs per season vs. 22 now; often 4 or 5 finishers, now nearly all complete the race.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

12. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Interestingly an instance where not having safety belts fastened may have actually worked in his favor (I don't remember if he talks about this specifically in his book.)

Meanwhile in 2021 were obsessed with corner rights and "real, hard racing"

Having these discussions in ~1969 were not really a thing:

"I was marginally ahead on corner entry so I was well within my rights to run him off on exit. I may have been launched into the trees and died in the process, but I was technically in the right!"

Beau365 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Exactly.
    Graham was running 5th when he spun on someone's oil and stalled the engine. He undid his belts, pushed the car to a slight downhill section whereupon he jumped back in and jump started the engine. The rear tires were off and he noticed balding on those of other cars. As he passed the pits he pointed at the rears so that his crew would expect him the next time around. He never made it. Going down the straight the right rear tire collapsed and the car went out of control.
    "It veered off the track, hit a bank, shot me out and rolled over. I carried on rolling along the ground. The car ended up upside down.
    --so of course my seatbelts were not done up when the car crashed. I shall never know whether this was a good or bad thing . . . "

Jeronimo GTO and fer312t like this.
  14. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
  15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

In a Top Gear interview Hamilton claimed "I'm a risk taker".

Bottas must've been a 5 year risk then.

Very Funny :D

17. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Thanks for this post.

Before going back to the regularly scheduled program, I’ d like to mention the amazing book «The Limit » by Michael Cannell about the life and racing career of Phil Hill. A book that I can only recommend.

The racing fraternity, good sportmanship, but especially the acceptance of fatality (without being fatalist or despondent), combined with a « joie de vivre » that is no longer found today, are amazingly well described. The chapter(s) about Von Trip’s fatal accident at Monza and the consequences on the personal/inner life of Phil Hill make for an amazing read about times that are gone forever. (Not to mention the fact that those times would not be today’s spoiled primadonnas* cup of tea...)

Agreed that comparing drivers, cars and even races of different areas is a completely futile exercise.

(*well, most of them...)

jpalmito, ricksb and 375+ like this.
  18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Great minds think alike;)--I started The Limit after I finished Life at the Limit!

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #1395 Jack-the-lad, Jul 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    The book was a big disappointment to many of those who looked forward to it. There were a lot of liberties taken in that book, which was allegedly written with the intention of selling it to Hollywood. In fact, the movie rights were sold before the book was published. Thankfully the motion picture was never made.

21. Natkingcolebasket69

Hamilton’s sprint qualification were impressive!

william and ktu like this.
  22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What's the problem?

Bas likes this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Hello ylshih, I'm back :cool:

stavura, gh0st0, Picchu88 and 4 others like this.
  24. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

For Hamilton's home GP Bottas is still proving useful ;)

25. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I guess Bottas needed to give ham a little push at the start today.