Subwoofer harness connection | FerrariChat

Subwoofer harness connection

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Jul 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Before this gets into a debate on the perfect sound system is behind my head, let me be clear...I am fine with the raspy V8 soundtrack behind my head. It's my wife (i.e. the banker) that would like something else to listen to.

With that being said, in my effort to keep the OEM look, I picked up an OEM sub box, amp and harness. The guts are being replaced with components from Mike over at Scuderia Audio.

My issue is I can't find where the sub harness plugs into the stereo harness. I've looked at AV's site and saw the wiring diagram but I can't find the 42D/43D connection. I've pulled the front carpeted part of the tunnel, battery cover and the cover behind the go fast pedal but no joy. I've tried to do an electronic trace on the wires but I am still unable to find that connector. I'm assuming that this was option on my model year (1999) so the connector should be there. Without tearing the dash out, does anyone have first hand knowledge on where this the 42D/43D connector is?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    My F430 didn't come with the OEM subwoofer, but there is an unused connector behind the passenger seat (right side) that I'm pretty certain is for the subwoofer.

3. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    AFAIK, the amp harness take the output from the radio harness then goes back to the booster then out to the sub. There are two corresponding plugs on the amp harness that plug in-between the two highlighted connectors in the diagram. The connector for the amp is pretty large (approx. 4" x 2") and I know that isn't hanging around under the dash on my car. The 430 uses the same harness so it may be in there already.

4. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Yeah w the HiFi option on the F430 the booster should be supplying the "subs".

I guess this is a 360 question? I imagine Mike would know best.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Ghostdiver likes this.
  6. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Harness is actually the same for both the 360 and 430 and I think it uses the same box as well

7. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #7 Sj_engr, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Mike does have a plug and play adapter so I could do this but it's very cost prohibitive. As far as building my own cable, yes I could do that was well and after I purchase the ISO plugs to do it, plus my time, I'd be well over that I paid for this cable.

9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Look for the booster connection behind the seats. I added subs on to the stock sub for the Spider. Using a PC power cable, I was able to make a splice connector that was completely reversible and there was plenty of power for 6.5 inch JBLs. They need bigger boxes but have sound great in my hack-job small boxes and stacked ring spacers for 5 years.

10. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    That was on the 348 or 360? Reading your post it appears that you had the OEM sub and you added some, correct? My issue is that I don't have the OEM sub between the seats or the cable leading from the dash from the amp/booster.

11. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    It was the 360 and yes it had the stock sub. But from what another posted above, take a look and see if there is another wire/cable fro the booster coming back from the head unit. I installed a cheap Pioneer head unit with an adapter plug and it had additional channels for a sub with switched power, if I recall. I think the stock sub was paired with the door speakers and I just had to test to see if there was enough power to tap stock sub. It worked fine and I am not trying to move any mountains. I could check as well, because I may be looking at the fuse and relay boxes to see if I can add a heat sink to the new 50A relay for my new F1 pump motor, but that may take a week or so to find time, weather, and energy.

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Well, I found the solution and just like everything else on this car, it's not as straight forward as I would have liked.
    Just for reference MY99 Modena, production date 12/1999. Chassis 35586

Here's what I found out. The WSM dated May 1999 (Scanned pdf copy in multi languages, 2 volumes) makes no mention of the optional subwoofer/amp system.
    The later manual, dated 3/2018; (electronic pdf, color pics) does mention adding the system if not originally equipped. However there are conditions.
    The manual states that IF you have the double map pockets, you will have the correct dash harness as validated by assy. 41814 and up. If this is the case, you simply unplug the connector I couldn't find and plug the subwoofer harness in...just like I thought.

So, I guess I'm building a harness....and I'll have a sub harness for sale....

Thanks for all everyone's help.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

John_K_348 likes this.
  13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

would you post a few more pages ,hopefully includes everything about adding the subwoofer and stuff?
    I don't think I have the 2018 version wsm

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    It actually gives the entire process from flipping speed nuts over, and grounding locations.

Send me your email or a PM and I'll send you the file

15. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Just wanted to give a shoutout to Mike @ Scuderia Audio; aka Software Drone

I've worked with him before when I first started out on this quest and not only is he a great asset to the Ferrari community but he has the knowledge to back up what he says. He's not just selling a product, he's selling products that have been vetted and tested. He's a straight shooter when it comes to this and he not only knows what he's talking about but he believes in the products as well.

As a side note, if you are thinking about doing anything with the audio system in your Ferrari, be sure to call him since he usually has unpublished deals. Ask me how I know!

Thanks again Mike!

John_K_348 and Sj_engr like this.