car design thread | Page 496 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree.

Without the Aston Martin "mouth", it's difficult to recognize it as an Aston Martin. From the rear 3/4 view, I'd have no clue.

It's a very nice-looking car though. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

anunakki and jm2 like this.
  2. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sketchmonkey's take on the Aston Martin DBS seem pretty impractical. He "fixed" the design by giving it an undrivable front overhang.

All the best,
    Andrew.

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Earlier than Edsel, even. Evangeline, Henry Fords' fabulous Hacker-designed runabout; 1650 cu in. Ford-built Capitol Liberty V-12. (recently restored to 100 pt Best of Show quality).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

colombo2cam and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    New Bentley Continental R re-design: can we turn it into a modern car? | Niels van Roij Design

Improvement? You decide.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I'm guessing these were done after the fact, but the rendering skills are amazing.

Attached Files:

anunakki and rmnunez like this.
  6. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2007
    Milano - Italia
    Full Name:
    Cardinal
    Schultz, colombo2cam, 330 4HL and 2 others like this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Special cars, ha. That bronze one is the coolest. Car. Ever!

330 4HL and Boomhauer like this.
  8. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    He didn't really change the design at all. He just added side vents that were completely out of place.

There were options on the Bentley Continental R that included a more tasteful vent than the one he added, and included mesh below the front grill. Here's one that was auctioned by Sotheby's:

If you want a modernized Bentley Continental R Coupé, the manufacturer already did that - it's called the Bentley Brooklands Coupé:

Bigger wheels, rounded front corners, larger intake areas under the grill, and side vents (albeit lower and more tasteful).

All the best,
    Andrew.

330 4HL, tritone and jm2 like this.
  9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I prefer the green one thanks......

Boomhauer and NeuroBeaker like this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Back in my spfx movie days, we called the least talented fx artists 'shop monkeys'. So it was a derogatory term. Im not sure if Sketchmonkey is being self deprecating or if he just has a perfect name...

ingegnere, jm2 and 330 4HL like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    We used to refer to designers that were proficient at doing beautifully rendered sketches but maybe the designs weren't so great as 'sketch monkeys'.
    Some of the design schools are referred to producing 'sketch monkeys' that don't know how to think.

tritone, 330 4HL and anunakki like this.
  12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I remember a story how when Syd Mead graduated Art Center he went to Ford but got frustrated quickly. Unbeknownst to him they had hired him to be the great studio presentation person for other peoples' designs. His own designs were not where Design interests were.

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    A plug for one of my pals.
    Hagerty Magazine
    GM designer Dick Ruzzin sketched the future with imagination and drama
    Joe DeMatio
    08 April 2019
    After his stint as Cadillac design chief ended in 1991, Dick Ruzzin was asked to become director of design for GM Europe. Preparing for the move from Detroit to Germany, he inventoried his drawings from his long career at GM Design.

[This article originally ran in Hagerty magazine, the exclusive publication of the Hagerty Drivers Club. For the full, in-the-flesh experience of our world-class magazine—as well other great benefits like roadside assistance and automotive discounts—join HDC today.]

“I had a really bad feeling about leaving my stuff,” Ruzzin recalls about packing up his things. “So my boss, Dave Holls, wrote me a pass, and I took 200 pieces home, about a third of my collection.” Five years later, Ruzzin returned from Europe to become director of design for Chevy. He soon learned the rest of his drawings had been sent to a warehouse in Pontiac, Michigan, that GM had closed while he was in Europe. The other two-thirds of his collection had been thrown away.

To hear this story today is to be dismayed by his loss yet grateful that Ruzzin had a hunch to save a good chunk of his work. We present some of it here, with commentary in Ruzzin’s own words. The drawings are a peek into one man’s work at GM Design in the 1960s and 1970s, when it was the undisputed global design leader.

"In 1972, I was asked by Henry Haga, chief designer of the Corvette/Camaro Studio, to make a sketch of an “Italian version of a future midengine Corvette.” Chevrolet VP John De Lorean asked to have the De Tomaso Mangusta present for comparison when Henry’s future mid-engine Corvette proposal was evaluated. De Lorean liked Italian cars and had purchased a Maserati Ghibli while he was running the Pontiac division." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin
    As you can see, conceptual renderings of future cars are not just product-design drawings; they are themselves pieces of art. Ruzzin’s work is colorful, imaginative, fanciful, and dramatic: “I like Calder and Miró,” Ruzzin says. “I like to do high contrast and bright colors.” His drawings are precise, professional, and full of movement. In them we see ideas and forms that made it to showrooms.

After graduating from Michigan State University in 1959 with a degree in industrial design, Ruzzin joined Fisher Body, the longtime body assembly company for GM, where he worked in the Trim and Hardware Styling Department. From there, he made the big leap to GM as a junior designer in the Oldsmobile Exterior Studio. It was the beginning of a four-decade career in which he worked at all the domestic GM brands except GMC and also at overseas brands including Opel, Vauxhall, Holden, GM do Brasil, and Bitter.

It was the Bill Mitchell era at GM, when the legendary vice president of the Styling Section presided powerfully over a variety of studios and held sway over major product decisions. The Preliminary Design Studio, where Ruzzin worked for years, created concepts for the various GM divisions to consider, and ambitious designers competed with one another in the hope of creating something that would catch the attention of Mitchell—or a division chief—and perhaps see their ideas turned into sheetmetal.

"I did this sketch in the International Design Studio in 1969 for an Impala when the grille bar as a design theme for Chevy was just getting started. Chevrolet Design institutionalized the bar in its Design Brand Statement in 1998 under my direction." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin
    “I liked to have fun with sketches,” Ruzzin says. “I often put glasses on the drivers of the cars in my sketches, because in the 1930s, guys wore divided goggles. The only guy in the building who knew that was Bill Mitchell.”

In 1988, Chuck Jordan, vice president of GM Design, gave Ruzzin the most important assignment of his career: Take over the Cadillac studio and deliver two sensational cars. “If these cars don’t succeed, I was told, the corporation is going to shut Cadillac down,” Ruzzin recalls. The resulting 10th-generation Eldorado and fourth-generation Seville sedan for 1992 were a striking duo that reaped awards and recognition while saving GM’s luxury division and setting it on a path to success that continues today.

"This January 1972 sketch shows the arcades on Via Roma in Turin, Italy, with a proposed Olds Cutlass coupe. I was the chief of Advanced Oldsmobile Design, working with Tom Semple, Tom Matano, and Charlie Graefe. We sent a lot of inspiring work to the production Olds Studio." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin

"I created this sport coupe in the International Design Studio in June 1974 as a proposal to expand the use of the frontwheel- drive X-car drivetrain. It was drawn, rendered, then cut out and glued over a watercolor-painted background. There is a strong contrast between the two fashionable young women in a largerthan- life scale and the low coupe." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin

"I returned to Detroit in late 1971 after spending six months with Opel in Germany. This sketch is a demonstration of my aesthetic and design philosophy at that time. The low, yellow, midengine car in side view and the very black and tall train engine present an image that is hard to justify visually. That was my point: the extreme contrasts of color and shape; the blocky and antique train engine as a backdrop to the new, low, sleek, and dramatic shape of a modern mid-engine, high-performance supercar." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin —Dick Ruzzin

"I created this future Oldsmobile Toronado at the International Design Studio in December 1970. I presented it with a 1930s Mercedes- Benz Grand Prix race car to contrast the open-wheel design with the smooth shape of the proposed future Toronado." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin

"This Buick coupe from June 1968 is also from the Preliminary Design Studio. The two break lines in the rear glass tie in with the high-level brake light. We developed a wonderful 1/3-scale clay model from this sketch." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin

"It was March 1965 in the Preliminary Design Studio. Carl Renner, who is now credited with doing the first Corvette, suggested I do a really wild car, one that would “scare all of us.” So I made this drawing, an illogical and bizarre shape, driving at full speed with two people obviously having a blast. Carl was very pleased." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin

"In January 1972 I created this rear-engine sedan and badged it an Opel. My boss saw it and suggested I do another as a conventional two-door coupe. The result was a proposal for a future tworotor, rear-engine Camaro-Firebird called the TASC4GT. Over the next six months, engineer Nate Hall and sculptor Ray Hildebrandt and I built a clay model that was then cast in fiberglass." —Dick Ruzzin courtesy of Dick Ruzzin

of2worlds, 330 4HL, Tenney and 5 others like this.
  14. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Cool stuff! That red coupe is so ahead of it's time and dead on for the look and detailing of future models.

tritone and jm2 like this.
  15. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Schultz, jm2 and anunakki like this.
  16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Tenney and anunakki like this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    anunakki, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  19. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    anunakki likes this.
  21. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    More of the former than the latter. :rolleyes:

anunakki likes this.
  23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    https://fb.watch/6_B8NZVUF-/
    former VP Design GM, discusses the design of the 1953 250 Vignale Ferrari and the current Ferrari Monza SP1 at the Concours of America.

Qvb and F1tommy like this.
  24. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Was Wellburn ever a Ferrari guy?