F355 Market | Page 281 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Did you check out their blue manual spider as well? If so, how was the condition of that one?

2. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    It doesn’t look like a 40k mile car to me especially inside. Visually well kept IMO.

I like that blue manual spider. (Hydraulics removed). I didn’t spend a lot of time looking at it but more wear on the interior as usual with spiders. It may have limited service records.

ShineKen likes this.
  3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I've got all the parts compiled for mine, just haven't had the time to do it yet. Really not complicated.

FWIW, in the course of my parts scavenging I scored two sets of manual shifter and linkage parts from Norway, so I will have a couple of conversion "kits" to offer as soon as I finish mine. But yes, parts are basically unobtanium at this point.

OCKlasse and ShineKen like this.
  4. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You’ve got the parts. Consider just hiring BlackHorse to finish it off? It’s always difficult to find time to work on our own cars. If their rate is fair and since they already have the experience, not to mention local, I’d give em a ring and call it a day.

Targatime likes this.
  5. Ahchard

Ahchard Karting

Feb 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard Lau
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ShineKen likes this.
  7. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    That’s the car I was referencing above. Very nice.

Wsmatau likes this.
  8. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    I was a little surprised to see Merlin using BaT on a new car. They seem to have no problem moving inventory. That car looks to check all the boxes and is certainly beautiful and well kept. I'm curious to see where it ends up pricewise. Needing a major (leaks) and the #5 cylinder significantly down on compression is concerning.

tres55 likes this.
  9. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    ...but how many MORE people will they reach, especially for something that's HOT right now.

sjd

ShineKen likes this.
  10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Yeah that car would have no trouble selling but at the same time the exposure on BaT will probably net them a lot more.

ShineKen likes this.
  11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Very attractive car but needs $15k straight away, minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Lots more buyers willing to spend the 15k with the values being 150k plus. When they were 65k it was a tough pill to swallow and those people who cld afford 65k cldnt afford the 15k. Much better place for 355s where we are today

Wsmatau and tres55 like this.
  13. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    At the opposite end of the market....I know of a '97 yellow/black gated GTB with salvage title history (currently clean title, but it was obviously washed). Miles in the mid 30s, been sitting for 4 years. Headers and guides have not been done and it is unknown if they are needed. Obviously needs a major. Owner wants "mid 50s". Shoot me a PM if interested and I can connect you.

Wsmatau, steved033 and ShineKen like this.
  14. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Agree with that. Personally, I’d rather pay to have it done myself and know that corners weren’t cut by a seller looking to check that “engine out service” box. Thing is, once you’re in there, you never know what will be found so the car has to be bought right relative to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttforcefed likes this.
  15. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    It’s a no brainer to me that they will approach the winning bidder with the “opportunity” for them to do all the necessary service, stickies, etc for the buyer prior to transporting the car. Good strategy IMO.

16. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Well the cold start video isn't doing any favors.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is it me or is someone holding the accelerator down to keep it from sputtering? Engine sounds a bit noisy too?

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Zamboniman308 likes this.
  18. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Why not do the major and get everything fixed up in house at cost. Then sell a perfect runner.

Seems backward.

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I though about that too, this it dawned on me. The sound of that motor and cold start is probably why. Hope for an uneducated buyer. Plenty of them.

20. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Know when to hold and when to fold.

21. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    At 40k mi, if headers are original, they’re probably shot or close. A major better entail putting Tubi headers in. Personally, I’d rather have the major done under my own watch and work warrantied by the shop local to me. This way, I can choose what goes into the car. I can even choose if I want to do the guides at the same time if I want. As long as it passes a leakdown, then I prefer the car sold without the major.

Wsmatau likes this.
  22. Zamboniman308

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    #7022 Zamboniman308, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    I think the early comments state headers needed. Hard to diagnose a vehicle by poor video/audio over the internet. However, a healthy patient it isn't. There's more than a routine major in the future. Regardless will be interesting to see where it ends up. Depending on what it really needs and final price, could be a great opportunity for the right person with love to give. That said this one would require seeing in person and getting the help of a wrench that knows the game.

Just to be clear my comments were around the Spider not the GTS

ShineKen likes this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    98+ car, if guide symptoms not showing, might be safe to leave it alone. Really up to buyer. Personally, I’d tried to find out if they are sintered steel or not. If they are, I’d leave it alone. If not, I’d probably do them during the major. It’s just cheaper to get headers and guides sorted while the engine is out if you plan on keeping the car for the long term.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @Oz-ATL did they start up the car for you?

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    In other parts of the world…

Currently, Japan is paying top dollar for 355 manual coupes. $175-250k USD. Market availability is non existent. The one or 2 available is $250k+.

Now they’re looking elsewhere for deals. Probably just like we are. Europe is the only source. They don’t realize what they have. That’s on them. I can assure you guys, if the Japanese are buying up what they can from Europe, Euro selection will start looking like ours in a year.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login