C8 Z06 | Page 9 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep and as we know stock ferraris are pretty poor on track past 3 laps. You dont have to belive me read the forum of thsoe who track them.
    The SF90 is to me as pointelss as tits on a bull, or a new bugatti.

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You wrote a lot here, but you haven’t actually drive the car on the track so until you do you have to admit it’s difficult to make an assessment. It’s never, ever going to be lotus Elise like. It’s just not going to happen nor is it the design intent. It’s probably going to weigh 3500. It’s going to make 600+ hp. It’s going to sound epic. It’s going to look epic (I hope not too boy racy) and it will be daily driveable still. The C8 platform has great potential.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gt3 could be in trouble if this thing is as good as it should be and can hold itself together at 9k rpm for literally half price. wow.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well written and a realistic appraisal, we agree,

Was never looking for lotus elsie in such a powerful car, more like Gt3 except much more awesome, cause me a bigger motor and merica. As you said its not going to weigh less than 3500lbs, so it will be more a supercar, not really track car. Not a judgement just a statement of fact. I wouldnt take a hurrican evo to the track either and I think its an awesome car for what ti is, same probably with the C8 z06.

Possibly the Mc20 will come in a lighter harder version (3000lbs with a voice) that would be more my ideal despite turbos, or the lotus emira, but imo for a car that size and weight 3000lbs the emira is 100-150 ponies short, its 2021.

Lets see what they do, sounds like the z06 is going to be more like the hurricane performante, great motor, great looks clever aero to make a 3500lbs comfy road car run a record round nurbering, thats a market. Im more interested in something closer to a road legal C8R.

Either way it will be a great supercar for 120k.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you’re really looking for a life changing experience, the perfect car to fit your brief, you’re welcome to check out my 765 if you’re ever in the Pittsburgh area. 3000 pounds, 800 hp, hydraulic steering, it’s a marvelous thing.

Thecadster, VAF84 and slm like this.
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sounds a bit like the 355, which ain't a bad thing at all. :)

VAF84, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I don't think this will be that different than new gt3 as far as typical hpde driving goes. Drive to and from event several times season. Weight difference could be equal to having big instructor in gt3. Won't be over 300 lbs (I hope). .bigger issue will be reliability of new dohc motor but remember, gt3 had tons issues in that regard too. Half price!

VAF84 likes this.
  8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not at all! I think that is pretty cool to make the sound an homage to arguably the best sounding V8 road car of all time.
    The only downside is people who don't know anything thinking the F355 sounds like the C8 Z06 :rolleyes:

VAF84, anunakki, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Imagine this thing with a decent set of pipes....

VAF84 and jm2 like this.
  10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I drove the 570 Gt4 and 600lt on track, they were great although very nanny and while massive mid range not the top end surge I was expecting. With all the systems the 570 Gt4 was easy, as long as one knew the line and was winding off lock flatten the pedal let the computer handle the rest. The steering was the best of any car Ive drven, not so much feedback but sublime acuracy, a whole different ballgame. The dawback was while the laps were exepetionaly quick and I could see how it was a fantastic race weapon, those record lap times were not so much me as the computers reiginng in the excess hp to just right for the exact condition . At Lrp coming over the hill I went fully airborne all 4 wheels and had no worries because I just knew the car would not bite and would sort itself out on landing. In a non nanny car it would bite hard. On a small track like LRP the elise was more fun and all me, plus not that much slower, on a bigger track where one can really stretch it out and use all that power, the maca would be epic just because of the sheer speed and stability afforded by the systems.

I know 765 is a different animal again. Love em, so pure of purpose and agressive.

Im still thinking 3000lbs 6-650 Na hp. Drove a carerra Gt and that v10 just kept on coming in the most smooth linear fashion. At those power levels, well sorted unobtrusive traction control is a beautiful thing. Even in the 2300lbs exige, 400hp on slicks multi stage traction is a beautiful thing. It just gives confidence putting down the power off the apex that things wont get too far out of shape and while allowing you to step past the edge also meets out that power with an acuracy a human does not. I drove that car for 2 years before we installed the motec and proper multi stage traction(the street traction was too obtrusive so turned it off) and while it was all controllabe without traction lap times were only slighlyy slower but rear tire wear was maybe 2x cause the cornering limit when you put down the power it really needs to be fluid and gentle, even in a miata, good traction does that..

Saw a porche 917/30 being demoed, Donahue was a hero, cant imagine any driver today being able to tame that beast at full chat.

I even toyed with building a ultima, but those have high hp and lack any traction systems, theyre also not track honed and after my superformance Gt40 experience(2400lbs 575 hp) I want the component reliability you get from a factory machine. Science experiments which s what any non factory car is, never end.

international blue and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's hard to understand just how much unless you've driven it. Imagine an F40 and a 720S had a baby and then put it on steroids.

Thecadster and VAF84 like this.
  12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    i am happy to accept your invitation.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It does sound like a 355. Sounds awesome. Go Corvette

VAF84 and TheMayor like this.
  14. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Trust me- switch to Goodyear supercars. They don’t give up like the PS4 which drop off significantly after 2 laps (I hate those things for track use, and I used to love the Ps2).

The C8 will lap and lap and lap, especially with KNS aluminum hats /rotors and Giro disc pads.

ForzaV12 likes this.
  15. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I hope you're right because I tracked my last C6 ZO6 a lot at 9/10's and EVERYTHING melted.

I blew-out my brake lines, melted the dust boots off my brakes, had to re-build my calipers every-other event, melted my engine mounts to the point that my headers were rubbing into my steering column (had to replace the factory mounts with polyurethane mounts), bent/twisted my drive shaft (replaced it with a carbon shaft), boiled my power steering fluid (I tried additive to raise the BP of my steering fluid and ultimately had to install a smaller power steering pump).

I dropped a valve and needed to rebuild the upper (multiple times) and had to re-sleeve everything, melted all of my suspension mounts (again, had to replace everything with polyurethane), finally gave-up and replaced the OEM calipers with a big brake StopTech kit (which I still had problems with). I learned my lesson with brakes and now I just install AP Racing brakes on EVERY car that I track...without issue.

Other than these issues...my C6 ZO6 was "track-ready" right from the factory...good grief! :eek:

16. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    And c6 is considered best at track readiness. Did you mean c7? Have you had previous cars that Did hold up?

17. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    My car was a C6 ZO6 (2007). I spent ten years and over $100,000 making it "track capable." Never again!

I then purchased a Porsche 991.2 GT3 in 2018. I installed a half cage and put AP Racing brakes on it. Thing was rock solid on track!

My only issue with that car is that the rear steering motor would over heat and then turn off. It was kind of unnerving (at first) to go from 4 wheel steering in one corner and then not having it in the next. Made the car turn in very sharply when the rear steering motor quit.

I then got into gokarts (125cc Compkart) and then hopped back in my GT3. My GT3 felt like a damn school bus...no grip in the corners and tons of lean compared to the gokart. I sold my GT3 and will be looking for a Wolf GB08 in the near future.

The Wolf is basically a miniature LMP3 car (all carbon). Think Radical, but much more capable with tons more downforce, better safety, more reliable, and a fraction of the maintenance. The Wolf GB08 will lap Watkins Glen 10-12 seconds per lap faster than a Porsche Cup Car and costs 1/6 of what the Cup Car requires for routine maintenance.

I do have a 2023 ZO6 allocation and plan to enjoy the car but I have no illusions about the new ZO6 being a "track capable car" or a "race car for the street."

boxerman and VAF84 like this.
  18. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Wow! Just looked up the Wolf GB08 since I didn't know this existed; very nice! If you don't mind me asking, what does one of these typically go for new? I saw an old BaT ad for a 2016 at $57.5k

19. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    You can get a very clean GBO8 for under $100K. The more well-sorted the car is the closer to $100K you get.

I like the GBO8's because the have Honda K20 4 cylinder engines. Very reliable and cheap to maintain. You can get a new engine for $3,000 and these engines don't need rebuilding every 40 hrs like the bike engines do.

Stuffing a motorcycle engine in a vehicle that weighs more than twice what a motorcycle weighs never made sense to me. All these cars (Radicals) with bike engines are very finicky and unreliable at best.

Radicals also have tube chassis...good luck with your legs if you stuff one of these into a wall at speed. I want a carbon fiber monocoque.

VAF84 and BJK like this.
  20. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    3 engines available?. Honda na K20 - 250hp , Peugeot 1.6L turbo - 400hp, Ford Coyote? Voodoo? V8 supercharged? - 650hp

https://wolfracingcars.com/modelli/tornado/?lang=en
    https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com/sm-racing/wolf-race-cars

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Wikdstrate

Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    Yup, lots of engines/models of Wolfs to choose from. Basically how fast do you want to go and how much maintenance do you want to do during & in between your track days?

IMO, the GBO8 is the way to go for track days. Super reliable with very little maintenance and you will still be faster than anything out there (including the V8 SR8 Radicals).

Anything more than the K20 engine and your asking for trouble. The faster Wolf models are true aero/tunnel cars and you better be damn sure you know what you're doing for set-up and maintenance or things will "go-sideways" in a hurry.

The faster models are basically LMP2/3 cars. Not sure I would want to take a car that fast to a track day with Vettes/Porsches/Ferrari's...the closing speeds/delta would be scary.

The faster Wolf's are just too fast to be on track with "tin-tops." Even Cup Cars would simply be "moving chicanes."

international blue, boxerman and BJK like this.
  22. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Buy a Ginetta and go racing!
    https://www.ginettana.com/

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    sainthoo likes this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Hopefully maybe the c8 is better eginired for this type of use, (I wonder if the come with braided stainles brake line now) At the time many folks with C6z06s and for that matter the later c7 grandsport gave up and moved on to porches, which whole not without fault worked and realisticaly cost less to keep going hard ontrack.

As youre elucidating, there is a vast difference between an out the box street car that may click of a few fast laps when new, and one eginered to hold up on track. GM is still a question mark there. We shall soon find out.

Agreed on AP racing being the way to go.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I drove a praga a few years back First exprience with a full aero car. Thats really a whole other universe.
    Wolf seems like a good plan, although an open car ios a different experience again.

For me Im my own pit crew, so its truck trailer and all basic maintanace at home, fluids pads plugs etc, or fund somnhgting thats drive to the track, but then eve Gt3 feels like a truck compared to something more hardcore.

Been toying with the idea of everuythign from the soon to be comming GT4Rs to sticking with truck and trailer and going for Sin, and or keeping the exige v6.
    Problem with the exige v6 is its quicker than street cars at least untill you get to a Gt2 rs on big track, but not as fast as full on track cars, it is however turn key..

Wikdstrate likes this.