F355 Market | Page 282 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Jeesh, that sounds bad, that rattling at the start. Plus having to give it gas to keep it running.
    Side point is that a cold start should demonstrate some proof that it really is a cold start. Hand on header pipe, or interior shot gauge of engine temp at zero. Not a good job by the seller.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    For the BAT GTS, I am going to assume the winning bidder will fly down to Atlanta to inspect the car before paying for it. This would be the smart thing to do.

If it does not check out, not in running condition, misrepresented etc., don’t hand over the check and make your case known with BAT for returned fees.

If Merlin is putting this car on BAT to build a reputation or recognition, they would be shooting themselves in the foot to put out a car with serious engine issues to make a quick buck. I see a few 355s in the background they still need to move.

3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Just to be clear, you guys are talking about a different car (spider), not the GTS on BAT correct?

4. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#7029 Natkingcolebasket69, Jul 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    How much is one looking cost wise to import one of those and how much less in % would the car be compared to a similar US spec, thoughts?
    (From Europe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    @tres55 would be the man to answer that.

6. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Correct. I am talking about the Red/Tan Spider on BaT.

ShineKen likes this.
  7. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    This is an early '98 (9/97 build) and the assembly number is about 150 cars before the reported changeover to steel valve guides. So they are an open question. As for headers, takes two mins to put a stethoscope on them with the car running to hear if they're leaking. If I was selling this car I would do the major and any other needed work, document everything meticulously, and be able to present the car as 100% ready to go with no mysteries. Almost certain they'd net more money that way.

8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    More money… sure. How much more though?

Let’s say headers were not leaky, would you replace during the major knowing they have 40k mi on them? If so, what headers are you replacing with?

What about guides? You take a look and they’re not sintered steel. Now what? As a seller, are you doing the guides before sale? If so, are you doing manganese guides or steel guides? Are you changing all the valves to new or measuring what’s there and using the ones that are in within spec?

I’m asking these questions because as a seller, whatever you decide have significant cost differences. And it’s not that easy to make the right decision if you’re trying to sell a car for a profit. The best person to make these decisions is the person buying the car to keep. That’s just my perspective.

If I’m a buyer and I know you just recently did a major without changing out the 40k mi OE headers, I’m thinkin you half assed the job. If you bought headers and paid $6k for OE headers, you wasted your money and now you’re passing that on to me. If you were smart enough to put in $4k Tubi headers, we’re good. I’d feel that much better because you seem to know what you’re doing. Past that cost to me no problem.

[email protected] and Targatime like this.
  9. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Sounds a like she's running a few horses short with no idle to speak of other than a healthy 355 doesn't have that sound signature. That could be a whole bank down? Hard to say based on what's provided.

The air injection pump running is a pretty clear cold start. That typically only runs if it's stone cold.

10. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    I didn’t have them start it for me as it was tucked away when I was there but they uploaded a video of it running on BAT and it sounds pretty smooth to me. I may go back over there and take a few pics of the RB GTS’s side by side tomorrow. I believe the car to be accurately represented, they’ve already mentioned a few things that need to be taken care of that most sellers wouldn’t proactively.

ShineKen likes this.
  11. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  12. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have talked with the crew at Pcar Market Extensively. No better than the BaT consigliere. I would not use one of those services and prefer an eBay ad or multiple postings on other markets. Just my .02 worth. I have several Porsches for sale and they keep calling me. Would rather keep them, than give them any business. That is just me.

ShineKen likes this.
  13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    You should ask them what happened :).

I'm gonna speculate just for kicks. Owner saw recent 993 Turbo on BAT w/ 27k mi go for $250k w/ 30k views. He sees another on Pcar w/ 29k mi go for $230k w. 15k views. Owner has an 18k mi white 993 Turbo and his auction listing has only 8k views w/ a few hours to go and the highest bit is $180k so far. I can imagine he told Pcar something along the lines of, "I've got a white 18k mi 993 Turbo... yes a 993 Turbo and the best you can do is get me 8k views on your "Porsche" Car site?? You best believe we're doing this again."

I didn't even see the car advertised on Instagram, but they might have pulled it.

carnutdallas likes this.
  14. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My car is for sale currently. Nowhere is my contact info listed. You need to PM me. The first person who did asked if there was a number he could reach me. I responded quickly. Never heard from him.

A few days later I get calls and texts from a guy at PCarmarket. After speaking with him, I asked how he got my information and he divulged that a colleague of his contacted me. "Ah" I thought. My view is these practices are shady.

Combine that with the flakes out there and it is a wonder any cars get sold at all.

carnutdallas likes this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I remember Doug Demuro saying nothing about Ferrari ownership was as bad as the process of trying to sell it private sale.

That's where BaT etc make it less painful one would imagine.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Challenge likes this.
  16. Wsmatau

Wsmatau Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2016
    Possibly, but why not list all their 355s on BaT then. At a minimum, I'd expect to see their older inventory listed first. There have been perfectly legitimate arguments written above. I just ask myself "Why this car?" It could be because of the hot GTS market right now.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  18. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    The rest of their inventory is Spiders and they'd rather hold for a high price than run with it on BAT.

19. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Grey market cars take a hit if they're a common spec that can regularly be found this side of the pond. I have no reason to believe rare spec cars are worth any less in any other part of the world. Simple supply and demand....there is almost no supply right now, and demand is through the roof.

I posted 1 single photo of my 355 on a fresh new IG account and I've received 5 offers to buy it...so far. :p

Cost wise, I'm not sure about the US...but here in Canada there's 6% duty and then shipping can vary greatly depending on where in Europe the car is located. The closer it is to a major port city, the cheaper. I've paid less to transport a car from Europe to Canada than I have from Florida to Vancouver.

Any car under 25 years old for those of you in the US will require federalization. 25+ years is kosher.

Air freight right now is exorbitantly expensive due to the lack of flights. People still do it if its around 2-3% the value of the car though.

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Is air freight the norm to bring a car in? What about ocean freight container? Sea freight for cars might have gone up 2-3x the norm as of late.

Regarding 6% duty, how much of that can be faked by invoice value? Lots of “proof” required?

21. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I have shipped cars overseas by sea freight and the outcome was not good. Cars all damaged - looked like sea water damage from what I saw in pics. I did not realize air freight was an option for the buyer.

22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Was it by RoRo or container?

23. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    With roro there's rarely any damage

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

24. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No idea. European buyers set it up. We just get to Houston Port. I was under the impression it was by container?

25. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    They get tossed around inside containers & beat up pretty good from what I’ve heard. A bit counterintuitive, but RoRo is the way to go and my GTS came unscathed back in 2000, FWIW

Wsmatau likes this.