Mang's Garage | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Mang's Garage

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Mang, May 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Still focusing on the hillside to the west of my home. I’ve added more plants, lost a few ground cover variants to the mystery critter (rabbit I believe) but two others being ignored so far...experiment still on. I scavenged four wine barrel straps and erected this orb by connecting them. Artsy ****. There is a dead manzanita stump that acts as a base, kind of a nice perfect fit. I upgraded the solar lights, much brighter, flickering type.

Attached Files:

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Other small detail stuff, but serious tedious work, I replaced the ‘shim’ between house and shed with a more aesthetic solution. To achieve this, more engineering fun, I used a floor jack on its side, resting on a step ladder and a leverage board and jacked the shed away from the house, removed the old setup seen in the photo, and wedged the new shim in, important as this keeps the buildings ‘plum’ which in turn handles the weight of cars, etc. and doors still close flush. I also extended the grab handles further up the steep stairs. The extra bit makes a big difference. It also secures the log planter.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Very creative work!

Jasonberkeley and Mang like this.
  4. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #229 Mang, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Moved over to the east side of my property. Beefed up the stone stairs at the bottom of the grade. These raw land projects involve a lot of clearing pine needles, dead mulch/debris, removing dead manzanita, unearthing large stones, laying out stairs, nice get dirty landscaping work. The same landing I just finished building stairs to on the west side is the goal here. You can see up top it’s a fairly level area, has lake view off to the west, Squaw Valley is visible. I’m just building ideas as I clean up and clear the hillside about how it will go once stairs are complete to the landing. Early stage…
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    And Mang’s garage is ALWAYS home to cars/projects too. Update on 1978 Alfa Spider; I removed the gnarly USA side markers, adding proper round carello’s, updated to euro bumpers/lighting, new top, went with navy. I’m grinding away on every detail. The steering wheel has been covered for 40 years, took off the nice leather cover and wow. Next I’m adding the plastic horn button surrounds, will look as new. I’ve found a nice balance here between working the land, doing house projects, car projects, and daily swims in the lake. Peaceful…I’m a total loner, just perfect here.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I don’t see any hippie chicks. Gotta have hippie chicks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Mang likes this.
  7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    they’re around, I see ‘em grunging here and there :D

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe you need to head over to Truckee.

Mang likes this.
  9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #234 Mang, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    we refer to it as Suckee :D

and while I’m at it, Kings Beach is ****ings Beach, or Cluster ****ings Beach, and Incline Village is ********* Village. Now you are all in the know.

damn that kiddie profanity filter ruined my funny

10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Looks like you are camped out for the long haul. Not planning a move any longer? I would stay....

Mang likes this.
  11. buenavides1

buenavides1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    I like your choice of wheel color for this car.

Mang likes this.
  12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.

Ya Johnny, most likely gonna stay now. I’m never sure of future though…

…and thanks for noticing the wheels Calvin. Rare ‘campy’ rough cast - magnesium I believe. There was a fellow making the gold center caps years ago and I secured a set for use here now. Had the wheels for 13 years on a shelf. Was waiting for the right car. I’ve got the Alfa serpent logo in gold going on each side rockers just in front of doors.

13. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    You know, my heart's delight would be to own and enjoy a Ferrari 330GTS...but as I look at it from another perspective, it's really just a very expensive version of an Alfa Spider! :)

BTW - we need to know more about that boat that we are seeing just a glimpse of...

14. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    completely agree on the Alfa’s. For the money nothing comes close in my opinion. I’ve always been a big lover of anything Pininfarina really, and these cars are GREAT alternatives if Fcar prices are out of reach. And the boat. I know nothing about boats and live at Lake Tahoe for 30 years now. I acquired the boat 2 years ago in a ‘horse trade’ and the real requirement for me was whether or not it fit in my garage on the trailer then I was interested. The issue with it is the big Evinrude motor is not ‘legal’ in Lake Tahoe as it is a vintage 2 stroke and 4 stroke motors are the requirement here. My real wish is to go electric, so looking out for the right setup. It’s an Aristocraft 14 foot (modern remake in 1996) in outstanding condition…only been on the water a few times. Been dry stored for the past 8 years that I know of.

http://aristocraftboats.com/new-production/torpedo14/

15. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I like it! I would max it out with a modern 4 stroke though. We have a 1957 Larson Thunderhawk Jr. with a modern Suzuki outboard. I stripped the cover and added 1957 Merc cast emblems and decals to make it appear reasonably "period correct" for the boat :).

Small boats are huge fun. Better to drive a slow boat fast, than a fast boat slow!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NYC Fred and Mang like this.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    that thing looks amazing! I love the look and ‘potential ease’ of these little boats. I may just go 4 stroke and get on with it. Please give me an idea of what outboard size is ideal for what you see? I can’t even back up a trailer yet ffs :confused:
    thanks for sharing that pic, looks like fun.

I like the retro look for the motor touch too, nicely played.

17. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    How safe are you from the Caldor fire? I assume the air quality up there is horrible these days.

18. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #243 Mang, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    I spent most of the week out of the area to get away, back yesterday. The smoke is really bad. I’m comfortable I’m safe here on the north shore, but have learned that Mother Nature ultimately makes that determination here in the mountains. They are attempting to make a stand at Echo Summit according to what I’ve heard, so sort of waiting for the battle to come to them.

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hope you guys get a decent amount of moisture this winter! It’s been raining almost everyday for the last couple of weeks. Wish we could trade some of our rain for some of your sun.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    for sure Jim. We so desperately need some rain, fingers crossed for an epic dump of a winter.

Jasonberkeley and Ak Jim like this.
  21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #246 Mang, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Next up projects here…

I’m putting some repair/detail into this old school plank door. It’s around 80-90 years old, 2.5 inch thick, you can see the construction technique. It will replace the sterile (Home Depot) type door present now in the shed. I need to construct a real strong door threshold first as it weighs around 150lbs. Check the old school super strength hinges. The door entry actually still functions, amazing.

I also lugged home this metal bolt ‘thing’ that is resting on the giant boulder. It is 32” long and weighs more than 200 lbs. it is going to brace the second level of gabion cage seen here against the house…should stop any and all sagging of the entire hill. I haven’t figured out the install method yet. The distance between house and gabion cage - 32”. Why I lugged it home.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever and mcimino like this.
  22. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Here is the backside of that door. I’ve removed the hinges as I need to remove 1-2 inches of width on that side, but not until I rebuild the threshold to hold this beast. Then I will know exactly how much to remove for a snug closing. I’m envisioning trying to use more of the cedar siding pieces, still formulating. Also wondering about converting to modern hardware for the ‘door knob’ so I can lock and deadbolt it without too much drama, still not sure. I would keep the original grab handle/entry on there as a grab handle only to retain that vintage look.

crazy Tahoe skies yesterday, we are all hopeful of a big dump winter, we need it BAD here. Drying up. Maybe these skies are telling us good things.

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This morning…

I’m refurbishing this old door. Unfortunately the back has been ‘tagged’ by some loser, so I ran off to my local AceHARDware this morning to get some graffiti/paint remover. Who knew there were about 20 options. I’m standing there with this cute young associate and I forgot my readers so I ask her to read through a few of the options and tell her that I have this old wooden door, so need something for wood specifically. She’s scanning the fine print and looks at me as she searches and says “is your wood hard?”…there was a long silence as I digested her question. After a few seconds, me “well…yes”. I mean it actually is, look at the photo. Then a few more uncomfortable seconds, we both bust out laughing.

anyway, I hope this **** works.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Ok, spent WAY too much time on this door today, but got the result. The spray was useless. It took a combination of sanding block, Dremel with wire wheel. power sander, a fine wire brush and **** tons of sandpaper and elbow grease. That is the hardest wood I have ever experienced. The after…

also when I built the floor in the shed I was limited on material and put the front part together like a puzzle, way too many pieces. I’ve secured a bunch more aged deck boards, I hand scrubbed them both sides and they are drying out for a few days before going into the floor in the shed. It will have a much tidier look, with boards running from back to front horizontal the entire length of the shed. I have to rebuild all around the new door so now is the time to do it all. I have a couple weeks before winter, so the clock is running.

readplays, Ak Jim and Texas Forever like this.