Edwin K. Niles RIP (1924-2021) | FerrariChat

Edwin K. Niles RIP (1924-2021)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Aug 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hawkeye, -CD-, wmuno and 9 others like this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to read
    hey may R.I.P.
    but he got very old. hope he had no pain

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Mr. Niles had an enthusiasm for these cars and this hobby that seemed unparalleled. He was truly generous in the way in which he shared his adventures with the rest of us. RIP

Hawkeye, wmuno, miurasv and 4 others like this.
  4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    A Ferrari life well lived. RIP

Hawkeye, wmuno, Daytonafan and 3 others like this.
  5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    A way to summarize Ed Niles is "Ed Niles."

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hawkeye, NewYorkLego, tritone and 4 others like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    johnei, NürScud, wmuno and 19 others like this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I communicated with him quite a lot about the Nembo Spyder 1777GT and the Breadvan but only met him in person once, in Los Angeles, at Stephen Mitchell's get together on Sunset April 2013. I was very glad he finally decided to do his automotive autobiography as he had been reluctant but I encouraged him to do so. I hope the book which he had said was nearly finished will still come out. What a life, 96 years, a very important, respected and well liked person in the classic Ferrari world: bravo Sir and RIP.

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Ed and Dick Merritt are two of my heroes. Thank you for your fellowship, rest in peace gentlemen.

wmuno, miurasv, Bryanp and 7 others like this.
  9. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    RIP...FERRARI LEGEND!

readplays likes this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Very sad news. Was one of the nicest Ferrari guys.

11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    RIP. The vintage section here is one of the few reasons I stick around and loved reading his comments. Big loss to the Ferrari community.

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Ed,

You will be missed but you did have a great time while with us.

I first got to know Ed while a student at Art Center of Design in Los Angeles and hanging out with the Ferrari Owners Club. There are a lot of stories with Ed here are a few:

That issue of the Ferrari Owners Club magazine was done by Chuck Queener; cover watercolor and as editor. Chuck had been the president of the FOC but a club requirement was that the president had to be a Ferrari owner. At the time Chuck was the assistant art director at Motor Trend so that was not a reality Ed "loaned" him a 275 GTB so it could be claimed he was an owner.

By the time that that issue of the magazine was published, Ed had already sold that SWB.

There was a particular Zagato bodied 250 TdF that went through Ed's hands several times. His then wife (not Phoebe) told him that it could not come back again. He bought it again and there was a divorce. He allegedly told friends "but the car was so pretty".

On the West Coast the fascination with tracing Ferrari serial numbers was mostly non-existent even by the early 1970s. A notable exception was Ed.

13. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Sad to hear. RIP, Mr Niles.

Il Cavalieri, of2worlds and readplays like this.
  14. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Sue and I were honored to call Ed a "friend" for over 50 years. He was one of the "good guys". Ed was lucky enough to be a part of the Ferrari World in a time when it was all so "new". Every event we attended brought us in contact with cars we had never seen or heard of. It was all so exciting. He was the "leader' of the California group and was very active in the FOC. The FCA, based primarily in the Detroit/Chicago area viewed the other club with some "competitiveness". However, Ed was the bridge the kept ALL the enthusiasts together. Very few enthusiasts of the older cars, in that era, had a lot of money, especially the "club" members. Ed's profession allowed him slightly more discretionary funds (not a lot more), so he was able to buy, import and sell lots of great cars which helped populate the States with many great Ferraris. In the Midwest, John Delamater filled the same niche, helping spread the enthusiasm and knowledge buy helping get cars to the people who loved them. Many of the great cars have one or both of these gentleman's names in their owner history. Ed was lucky to retain his mental capability to the end and his contributions to this forum are a treasure.

ggjjr, Pepsi10, tritone and 13 others like this.
  15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Had pleasure and privilege to have met Mr. Niles briefly on few occasions at various events. A cool, true old school gentleman.

tritone and readplays like this.
  16. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    A terrible loss to our community, but certainly a life well-lived. Godspeed Mr Niles

readplays and pilotoCS like this.
  17. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    As a young guy when I first joined F-Chat, I remember being amazed by the cars that passed through his hands and reading about his experiences. I literally felt like I knew some of the California players from back in the day just from his tales. Also, his memory for details and items was incredible, I looked forward to all of his posts.

I occasionally sent him messages and asked questions, he always responded and was a true gentleman. Sad to hear of his passing.

RIP.

Erik

18. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Spoke with Ed a few years back, maybe 2012/13, very nice gentleman. I'm a bit younger, but he was kind and eager to help with questions.

Rest in Peace

19. Balsamina

Balsamina Formula Junior

May 19, 2010
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    S
    RIP Mr. Niles. Like some others here, I had the privilege of interacting with him a few times. I bought a few titles from his Ferrari book collection when he sold it off. He was a true gentleman and I always enjoyed his stories.

20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  21. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I never met Mr. Niles, but always loved his posts here over the years. What a life! RIP.

Hawkeye likes this.
  22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Oh, no. I’m very sorry to hear about this.

Sincere condolences to the Niles family.

23. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    As I wrote in the other thread, he was the definition of a legend. I will so miss his posts here, and like Marc I hope his book does come out in some form. RIP.

24. SilverThunder

SilverThunder Rookie

Sep 21, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Maurice
    Ed recently emailed me that he would like to come over again to meet my new shopdog "Mickey Mentens"...

Yes, a Ferrari life well lived and the nicest man ever who easily shared his knowledge to us comparatively so green behind the ears. His interest was not only Ferrari though... When he heard my shop restoring Iso and Bizzarrini cars moved close to him he wanted to visit and reminisce about the Isos he owned. He had his hands on two important Sebring racers; Iso Grifo A3/C B0210 and B0214. Ed just knew and loved special cars.

My sincere condolences to the family. Thank you for the cool stories Ed, Godspeed to you - it was an honor to have known you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Cavalieri, Pepsi10, papou and 5 others like this.
  25. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Ed truly was a legend. RIP.

Ferraripilot and Il Cavalieri like this.