Change to the 296 GTB | FerrariChat

Change to the 296 GTB

Discussion in '296' started by MANDALAY, Jul 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Change to 296 GTB ?

1. YES FROM 458

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. YES FROM 488GTB

12 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. YES FROM F8

6 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. WILL BUY HOWEVER NOT CHANGING FROM THE 3 MODELS ABOVE

22 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. ADDING NOT CHANGING

37 vote(s)
    27.6%
  6. MISS ON THE 296 GTB

51 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Wont call it an upgrade as i might accidentally insult someone but is anyone really going to sell their F8 for the 296 GTB ?

Or 488 GTB or 458 for that matter ?

2. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    The 296GTB does not have the legacy of the F8 platform nor the performance of the SF90. Seems to me to be a compromise on what the F8 and SF90 each offer yet conversely is badged as having the best driving experience, e.g., "fun to drive", of all. Hard for me to take the leap until I know how the car feels when its on the road. If I were to change, it would be from the SF90 to the 296 not the F8. Won't give up my V8 mid-engine ICE for a hybrid V6. Don't see that as a compelling upgrade. Not to mention that I am not sold on the looks - really struggle to smile back at the rear which looks like a smiley face to me and the bubbled glass rear bonnet.

3. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Why is a car up around 100 HP and with less lag due to the e motor vs the wonderful F8 a compromise?
    It appears to slot under the SF 90 at a much lower price, noting that it does not feature the accessible performance SF 90 has due to AWD.

Slicknick and F2003-GA like this.
  4. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    #4 gzachary, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    One caveat to the below: I am using the best numbers I have. Not exact but should demonstrate my point.

I believe with the SF90, additional 600 lbs for the EV portion results in an additional 200+ hp. The ICE portion is 780 hp and alone at 3100 lbs (not including EV…my guess here). Not as powerful a ratio as the EV portion of the SF90.

In terms of simplistic math, an ICE F8 at 3250 lbs (I never know what weight # to use! Lol) that generates 710 hp.

I don’t know what the weight of the EV system is on the 296. But I believe the ICE generates 650 hp. This EV portion generates an additional 170. But I don’t know what the weight of it is. But I don’t have the weight number of the 296 EV system.

Knowing what the base ICE car weight / HP between the 296 and the F8 would be good to know. It will help clarify the answer about F8 vs 296. Need to calculate this weight/horsepower gain of the EV portion.

If I had to guess, if it’s like the SF90, it will have a stronger ratio leading to more performance for the 296. It will weigh more but will have a wider and deeper performance envelope compared to the F8. Just like the SF90 introduced in its segment. (See my review by doing a search. Also I am not an EV fanboy as I love driving the TdF the most. And yes I love driving the SF90. The TDF ….Talk about fun to drive! With F1 sound that no F car can remotely approach since it’s launch.

I have no bones to pick in this fight as I am keeping both of them for different reasons. (F8 and 296).

releod and Slicknick like this.
  5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The 296 is 1.5 seconds around Fiorano faster than an F8 and plus 120hp.

https://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/z3z0nir8u54d

I am not quite sure it is a compromise.

The Ferrari engineers have also worked hard on developing the noise and the handling characteristics of the 296.

If I had an F8 or 488GTB, I wouldn’t think twice about trading it.

Whilst I love many aspects of my Pista, it is still one of the most average sounding Ferrari’s I have ever owned….. I guess the F8 is in that same sound category.

Just a thought.

May the Horse be with you

6. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    agreed. The F8 spider is driven by my wife. She loves it. Somehow she now doesn’t see any of the other cars I am buying. So I keep the F8S :)

7. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    #7 sh11783, Aug 3, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    I don't see the compromise based on the outputs (eg the performance numbers) but based on the inputs. The V8, which is recognized as the pinnacle of engine design of its era, is a true thoroughbred. Yes the sound has changed and the F8's V8 is more muted than before - but that is true of all factory cars and it still has a beautiful tone - and a wondrous performance envelope that offers a direct, unadulterated connection to the heart and soul of the car. Now with the end of the line in sight (possibly) that connection is deepened by knowing you are driving one of the greats, a Tribute in Ferrari's words, and the ultimate evolution of the platform that made Ferrari great and the icon of its series production lineup. The looks also have cues from so many of the V8s before it and that synergistically complements the feelings I have for the car. Yes I am nostalgic but these are the cars that made me fall for the brand and these cars aren't just numbers to me.

As Ferrari said, and I agree with, the 296 is a new segment. It is designed to appeal to a new generation of customers, first and foremost, and create a new brand identity for Ferrari in a new automotive future. Whether the platform becomes an icon only time will tell. My view on the hybrid future is if I am going to be part of it I want the highest performing car in the lineup because at least for now I see the new hybrid iterations more like the movie "Cowboys and Aliens" eg. a questionably executed yet novel but strange storyline, cleverly merging the future and the past into a single experience. I liked watching that movie but I didn't love it but I also didn't regret it, so in Ferrari terms there is room for one hybrid in the stable.

So to come full circle, when I look at the hybrid Ferrari's I do use only one metric - performance - to compensate for the lack of the appeal I feel from my connection to the "legacy" cars. That's why I said that I would prefer the Sf90 over the 296GTB, because its at the performance apex, and if I were to trade a car in for the 296GTB it would be another hybrid eg the SF90 (as that is the only other hybrid in the line up) but only if the overall performance envelope (lap times not drag races) achieved by the 296GTB is superior. However, only once the 296GTB is on the road and in the hands of owners/ press will we have any insight into that. Hope that ties out my earlier post.

TR007 and Napoli like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The biggest question is HOW RELIABLE will the Hybrid be.

Most owners know that Ferrari are pretty shabby in the electrical department.

Napoli, xBox, Astrid.Didier and 2 others like this.
  9. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like you are confusing the V8 Ferrari with a GT3RS.

I have never felt a direct unadulterated connection to an F8.

V8 is fast and is an amazing engineering feet. As is the gearbox. The sound just leaves me a little flat at the end.

F8 is seriously gorgeous too. One of my favorite designs.

Let’s hold back on the comparisons to the 296 until it comes out.

Dela likes this.
  10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Are you planning to buy one in 5 years time?

If so, then yes I would think about this.

BTW - Since 2013 I have never had a problem with any modern Ferrari. As a matter of fact they are way more reliable than my AMG’s, Porsche and Aston.

Senshi458, Dela and Slicknick like this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

No battery changes ?

BTW do those other 3 cars have to be on a tender ?

Also do they have any electrical loss because items are on even with the car being of.

I was probably the first to note that the 3rd brake light is ALWAYS on even when parked. Did Ferrari know that. Well i was told they didn't know . Yeh Right. Have they done anything to fix it , NO.

How about the LaFerrari owners and their **** with the battery ?

As far as I'm concerned if Ferrari doesn't warrantee the hybrid battery for at least 10 years i wouldn't be interested . Think about the cost of the battery and the actual replacement !

Now add salt to the wound how about if Ferrari calls the battery a consumable part , guess what not covered by extended warrantee.

So yes you are right I wouldn't consider one until ALL these issues are addressed PROPERLY.

Second hand no chance as i only buy new.

I have been told quite specifically these cars have the same internal structure, with the Roma and Portofino following suite.

With that there will be MORE models with low numbers . The 296 GTB and its Targa/spider will BE SHORT LIVED.

Everyone has different attitudes , looks like its water of a ducks back for you but to many others it isnt.

Our price will be around $750,000 Plus given the SF90 is past 1.1 Million.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes I do keep them on tenders however that is based on limited use. I also keep my Porsche on tender too.

All electric cars has a battery with a lifespan, this is the new was of life.

Buying a new car makes it water off a ducks back as the factory can deal with their short comings.

Prices suck in Aus, hence why I moved to the US!!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is my issue. I think its beautiful and will be as a spider. But I just wonder if this car can sit around for weeks or months (in Winter) and start up without a check engine light that means the car is gone weeks.

14. hagen111

hagen111 Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    Would love to swap F12 for 296 GTS...

Its more nimble, lighter, very modern engine lay out, hybrid, the sound of a v6...

SECRET likes this.
  15. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    It’s looking like this little hybrid V6 will be kinda pricey, MSRP allegedly $308,351.00. AF package is $32K and that just gives you the option of dropping another $32K on the paint scheme if your into that sorta thing. Plus other options, usually in the $50- 70K range.

16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    It’s 800+ HP.

Name me another car that will offer this performance for that money?

dreadwing007, Slicknick, Dela and 2 others like this.
  17. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    People don't want it to replace the F8, but they want it to replace the F8.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    Condor Man, 40% of the people who voted find the 296GTB lacking something important enough to pass on the car all together. If you judge the car by its numbers then it "checks all of the boxes" and that does make it interesting but if its the only F car you choose to own or are able to afford then many on this board wouldn't put it anywhere near the top. As I said before, this is a new segment for Ferrari and a very new direction - a V6 and a Hybrid and novel, futuristic styling. If well executed it may define Ferrari's greatness in the future. However, for a lot of us we have much more passion, emotion and connection to the "legacy" cars that have defined the Ferrari brand until now and even if they aren't at the bleeding edge of performance but they are still fast enough to get your heart racing. For those of us in this camp, we rather put our dollars elsewhere with the brand.

Astrid.Didier and TR007 like this.
  19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You make it sound like when Porsche brought out the Boxster and all the 911 Purist were up in arms.

I am looking at many different factors aside from the numbers.

1. Styling - harks bag to the history of the company.

2. Sound - Ferrari have stated that they are plugging back in the emotional factor with the sound of this vehicle.

3. Handling - Shorter wheel base for go kart like handling.

4. Performance - It is faster than the Pista at Fiorano.

It’s a good question…. if I could only have one Ferrari what would it be.

Roma - No
    Portofino - No
    F8 - No
    F8 Spider - Yes
    812 - No longer in Production
    812 GTS - Yes
    296 GTB - Yes
    SF 90 - No
    SF 90 Spider - Maybe Depending on funds.

I suppose it all depends on people’s budgets and their use for the vehicle.

Having owned every modern front engined V12 Production Ferrari being the 550, 575 Manual, 599, F12 and with an 812 GTS on order.

Plus 360,458, 488 and Pista

I would like to think that I have a connection to the brand and that every new car they bring out I eagerly watch.

Now did anyone mention the Purosangue?

dreadwing007, Caeruleus11 and Dela like this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No matter what the poll results are here, I predict the 296 will sell like hot cakes.
    Ferrari made a good job to make it attractive for different people for different reasons, thus expanding the target audience.
    For some it will just be the Ferrari brand at this price point, for some it will be the perceived forward-looking tech, for some it will be the improved power and performance...

xBox, Jo Sta7, Caeruleus11 and 3 others like this.
  21. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No doubt, I remember all the negative remarks when the F8 was first out… see what happened there.

22. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Let’s not forget that the current crop of F1 cars are V6 Hybrid as is the AMG One.

Anyone who only bows to a V8 is a little one dimensional.

There have been plenty of 6 cylinder amazing cars including GT3’s and Singers.

releod, Slicknick and Dela like this.
  23. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    I’ve wondered the same thing… F1 cars use V6 hybrid. If F1 is the pinnacle of automotive engineering, then wouldn’t you want to align with that as much as possible? I just don’t get it…

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The current definition of the engine in F1 is not a real choice, it's artificially enforced by regulations.
    On the other hand, the best solution in a pure research of performance could well be a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine... In 1983 the rules were more relaxed, NA and turbocharged engines with 4, 6, 8 (and even 12) cylinders competed. The (almost) only rule was that the turbocharged engines had half the capacity of the NA ones.
    Ferrari won the constructor's title with a turbocharged V6, while Nelson Piquet won the driver's title with the BMW turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.
    Technical developments since then tend to indicate that the performance benefits of having more cylinders of lower capacity each are more and more outweighted by the drawbacks in complexity and weight.

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Apart from that , we have cars that are 50 plus years old. They can be serviced / fixed by a competent mechanic or enthusiast , like me.

I built a Toyota MR2 ground up from bare shell. These new Ferraris that are Hybrids and will be disposable. Just like Japan exporting their secondhand cars once they are 3 plus years old.

Ild rather have an ICE engine Ferrari that can be passed on down the generations than a useless non driving Hybrid with a dead battery.

However i suspect those buying the hybrid dont give a rats arse as they either change cars often or want the latest , fastest car.

TheMayor likes this.