308 GTS QV parking lights STAY ON | FerrariChat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Red Barchedta

Red Barchedta Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Red Barchetta
    Hi Folks, thanks for letting me join FerrariChat. I'm a long time knuckle-buster, but a first time Ferrari owner. My 1985 308 GTSi QV arrived this week, and I'm ready to tackle the issues it arrived with.

I did a search and found various posts about issues with lights, but they were all related to lights that don't come on. My problem is that I can't turn the parking lights off. The PO told me that the problem came up as he was loading the car into the transporter's trailer for delivery to me. He also said that he had found a position on the headlight control stalk between detents that turned the lights off, but this is no longer working. He said that he had already rebuilt the control stalk in the past and suggested I check the relay before pulling it apart again.

First, I'll add that it's a Swiss market car, so also a Euro market car, in case there are differences from others.

I found the relay, as it was buzzing, and when I pulled it out all exterior lights extinguished. Is there another relay in the car that I can swap into its position to confirm whether that's the problem or not?
    If the relay is fine, is there anything worth investigating before I check the control stalk?

On a side note, the shop that did the import inspection broke the wiper control stalk off. The switch itself still functions electrically, but with no stalk I can't operate it it while driving. Does anyone know of a supplier or of a fix?

Thanks again in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and to anyone who has anything to add. Any thoughts, comments, information eagerly accepted and welcome!

2. Red Barchedta

Red Barchedta Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Red Barchetta
    I did some more sleuthing, and have some possibly pertinent information. I plugged the relay back in and the lights stayed off. They turned on as normal when I activated the switch, but they stayed on when I rotated the switch to the off position. So the relay contacts are likely not stuck closed. They are likely being held closed by a constant control signal from the headlight switch. I'm still hoping to swap a relay just to confirm though.

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    #3 thorn, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    First up - welcome to Fchat, and congrats on the car. Mine is an '85 Euro/Swiss as well. :)

Many of the relays are duplicated (5 of this, 5 of the other), but that particular one is a single.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0332015006-Re-Mech-Switc/dp/B004Z0TRPA

On the wiper switch - you can find these on ebay. Here's a used one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334046862335?epid=1911179169&hash=item4dc6be9bff:g:9HUAAOSwEf1gzrg0

Ferrari didn't make the switch, Lucas did. You can usually find the same switch for less - just pay attention to the terminals and positions (2 way, 3 way, on/off, etc etc). Though the plastic topper is different, you can simply pull it off and use the disc that you originally had.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192933450979?hash=item2cebbad4e3:g:ImAAAOSwA1pau6p9

If you still have the 3-way aerial (radio antenna) switch, take very good care of it. That switch is very! hard to find. And very expensive when you do.

Hope this helps. :)

Red Barchedta likes this.
  4. Red Barchedta

Red Barchedta Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Red Barchetta
    Hi Thorn,

Thanks so much for the welcome and for the info.

I found an exploded diagram of the relay setup and you've confirmed what I had feared...the marker lights relay is unique. But the one in the link you sent is an inexpensive way to test, and I'll have a spare if it turns out to be OK.

Regarding the wiper switch, it's not the console speed switch that's damaged...it's the control stalk on the steering column. But I love knowing that some hard to find parts, like that console switch, don't have to come in a box with Ferrari logos but can still be faithful to the original build.

Thanks again! I was advised that the online Ferrari community was one of the best, and your speedy response leads me to believe that I was given good advice!

5. Red Barchedta

Red Barchedta Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Red Barchetta
    Hi Thorn again, Regarding our versions...I thought that I'd miss the air foil/spoiler on the hatch, but I've found that I'm actually very happy to not have it!

6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ah. Much different issue. I've not personally dealt with stalk issue, but this member specializes in such things. Check through the PDF catalog on his website, and see if there's a solution to your particular issue. Verell not only sells parts, but also offers rebuilding services for the column stalk switches.

I really wanted a Euro car, and of course the rear wing wasn't standard on those cars. For a long time I missed not having one; until I came upon a wing for sale, and bought it. That was about 3 years ago..... and it's still sitting on a shelf in my garage. I've gotten so used to how my car looks, that adding a wing would now look "not quite right" to me. I like the look of them on others' cars, but I've also come to like them without it. Even my son (who is huge car mod guy) said, "Dad, no... don't put that spoiler on. " So, there it is. ;)

Thomas Magnum and Red Barchedta like this.
  7. Red Barchedta

Red Barchedta Rookie

Aug 14, 2021
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Red Barchetta
    Thanks again, sir. I'll definitely check out his site. I threw the issue of the wiper switch in as a last second thought, and it's ironically possibly going to be the one fixed first!