Tony Stewart to NHRA? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Tony Stewart to NHRA?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rdefabri, Jul 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    One can only hope at this point.;)

2. I gave that up. 'Even tried praying for a while but God's lost interest in what's happening to "racing" (as always, now "the show") so no divine intervention either........ :rolleyes:

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The problem with Pro Stock is the race cars lost their identity. By that I mean it is basically a Camaro class race series.
    When Pro Stock started in 1970 it consisted of the fastest cars from all the different car manufacturer's who competed against each other in the top Super Stock classes. There was Ford and Mercury. Plymouth and Dodge. Chevrolet, Pontiac and Oldsmobile models all racing each other. Fans could relate to their particular favourite brand; be it Ford, Chevrolet or Chrysler.
    Pro Stock initially was just a Super Stock race car with bigger tires and a roll cage and some engine modifications. Then in 1972 Bill Jenkins came along with a tube frame Chevrolet Vega with a 331 cubic inch small block motor. This combination was allowed a weight advantage by NHRA as a way of slowing down the domination of the Chrysler Hemi race cars. Bill Jenkins won a quarter of a million dollars that year and got national attention for getting the same money as a top basketball player at that time.
    The liberal NHRA rules later led the competition to adopt the same sort of tub chassis engineering for their race cars to. All this evolved over the decades as only Ford and Chevrolet were left as competitive race cars. Some Chrysler racers tried to compete but were not competitive and eventually you had to run a Chevrolet motor if you wanted to win Pro Stock. In the beginning Pro Stock cars ran about 9.80 in the quarter mile. To make the 'show' better NHRA continued to liberalize the rules and the Super Stock idea of Pro Stock evolved into all out race cars. Being much faster these short wheelbase cars also became more dangerous and unlike Funny Cars they didn't enjoy huge downforce to aid their handling. Eventually NHRA relented and their new more aerodynamic shape helped the handling with modified design details. However they also as a result destroyed the connection in appearance they once shared with 'street' cars which the fans could cheer for as 'their' brand racing against the other brands competition. There is no easy solution to bring back the inter brand competition when everyone now drives a 'Camaro'. As with any race the preparation of the track is key to fair and even competition and this is where NHRA has been letting down the Pro Stock competitiors. The car in the 'good' lane has an advantage that is nearly impossible to overcome.
    Today it is all about getting that power to the ground and also starting ahead of your competitor. The show today offers drivers winning by inches at more than 200 MPH but the Ford vs Chevrolet battle was won a long time ago by the Camaro.

rdefabri likes this.
  4. And that's the bottom line.
    It's not about who's the best.....it's about what's the best "show" that can be put on by the sponsors.
    Not just drag racing,.....every aspect of auto racing...... :(

5. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Just what Ed said to>

Image Unavailable, Please Login

lorenzobandini likes this.
  6. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Well....there is always Voodoo!!!! :p

7. Naaaahhh.... Tried that at Jai Alai in the '80s......didn't work either......

8. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm still a fan, I think these guys need to have more "attitude".

9. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Yea I was going to say something similar. Between the rising cost, the NIMBYs, and the pandemic, I can't imagine it will ever return to the halcyon days.

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I could wax on about Pro Stock, and how the NHRA tried everything in their power to unintentionally kill that class. In addition to what you mention, they screwed up by adding a Pro Stock truck class, killing off races where Pro Stock would be featured, adding a "mountain motor" (up to 700ci) Pro Stock class, etc.

It sucks watching it now because I can see how the changes ruined the sport. No different than NASCAR or F1, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in stopping it.

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Why? :rolleyes:

My interest is seeing the best racing the best in the best, not a BS personality show that they can put on...... :p

william and rdefabri like this.
  12. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I guess it’s the hillbilly in me but NHRA was built on characters. My indoctrination isn’t TV, it’s in person, and as a kid I full well knew who Jungle Jim, Don Garlits, or Snake and Mongoose were.

Arguably a lot of motorsports were like this before big TV rolled in, but I just don’t think the show even has the best racing anymore - it’s vanilla.

13. No it wasn't. I was there too. It was built onn racers being racers. It wasn't until TV coverage and later, big money came along that the "characters" came along to entice the uninitiated as in every other form of racing...... :(

True race fans have always been into the perfomance of cars and drivers.....not drama......not soap operas......

william and Sharknose like this.
  14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll respectfully disagree with you on that - I loved Jim Liberman before I ever saw him on TV. He was just a larger than life character to a young kid like me.

Now it's all corporate - there are no more "barnstormer" types, and it's boring. JMHO.

Sharknose likes this.
  15. You're own statements indicate we're not in disagreement. You were there in person to get to know them. :)
    The majority of supposed "racing fans" now didn't give a hoot about racing 'til they saw the characters and "show-times" on TV. They haven't a clue between an apex and a Zanax.....a facelift and a lifter.
    I've always been a racing fan (and participant). I was (and still am) into the cars and drivers capabilities, not their "on stage" performances and "soap opera" drama. :)

rdefabri likes this.
  16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I share that fault with you: only what happens on the track is of any interest to me.

17. Fault? :rolleyes: (rhetorical :))

Also what happens on the "drawing board" and at the shop.

I have no time or "energy" for the BS nonsense......better spent on those that do. ;)

william likes this.
  18. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Indeed. But...on the brighter side I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!! :D

19. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Why don't we file this one under "So Not Happening" and move on?

BHW

20. Please close the door on your way out. :)

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    of2worlds likes this.
  22. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I didn't know Hagan was in play, that is very interesting!

of2worlds likes this.
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I like Tony Stewart but drag racing doesn't need him. I've been an NHRA fan since 1960. The days of match races, Stone, Woods and Cook. Sox and Martin, etc. Watched it grow. Nothing wrong with it today IMO. Top Fuel and Funny car is all that matters. The rest is boring. Too fast? BS. That what drag racing is about. It's all the car, not the driver? Are you effing kidding? These guys have to make more decisions in 3 sec than most people make in a day. Sure smoking tires for 1/4 looked great, but that's not how you go fast. Aero? Streamlines wre around in the 60's. Most of the innovation in Top Fuel can be attributed to one man, Don Garlits and his Swamp Rat dragsters. And where would Funny car be without John Force and his Jolly Rancher cars?

Sorry Tony is a great racer and I love him, but he brings nothing special to NHRA. Just as Jimmy Johnson bring nothing to Indy car. Name means nothing. Winning matters.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone, Sharknose and GuyIncognito like this.
  24. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    In today's world it is about one thing.....cash and prizes!! If you have it, she wants it! Being the confirmed bachelor, I have kept both my virtue and the money. Tony needs to speak to Don Pardo as to the parting gifts if this goes south also!

GuyIncognito likes this.