Palawan books | FerrariChat

Palawan books

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by markst270, Aug 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markst270

markst270 Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Cory
    Sorry if mentioned before, I’ve just discovered Palawan Books, Two in particular

Racing Through Europe
    Aston Martin V8 1969-2000

Look good but Extremely expensive, anyone got these

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    If you like the subject, it is not possible to get anything better. They're expensive, but print runs are small and quality (paper, binding, packaging, etc.) is beyond discussion.

ChoroQ, -CD-, Zeltweg and 3 others like this.
  3. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have several of their books including the Aston V-8 book, outstanding quality. I do only buy the leather addition but I am sure the paper and binding quality is the same on the standard additions.

markst270 likes this.
  4. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Leather editions are mostly bound by hand, which is superior to machine binding. And the paper quality used in the leather editions is often a higher grade.

stevewak and markst270 like this.
  5. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    Racing Through Europe brilliant book heartily recommended

Buchpilot, ChoroQ and stevewak like this.
  6. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    Totally agree. Fantastic book with much Ferrari content even though Joscelyne was an Aston man. Worth every penny. Captions and also text very good indeed.

Buchpilot, 375+ and Halfwit like this.
  7. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    I have the Palawan D Type. Fantastic book.

8. Seppefan

Seppefan Karting

Aug 24, 2021
    I also have Ferrari in Camera and Sixties Motor Racing. Both are fantastic as well although the D Type is the smallest print run at 300.

Rosey likes this.
  9. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Ferrari in Camera is something of a unique book. Despite being 26 years old, at this point, it somehow still seems to be as good as, if not better, in its own way than any of the other expensive books that have become available in the years since. I would say this holds true whether you are considering the book as a whole or even many specific elements (content, design, construction quality, materials, paper quality, image reproduction, and so on). Definitely a home run for all time for Doug Nye and the late Geoff Goddard.

ggjjr, Sharknose, ChoroQ and 7 others like this.
  10. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I guess since this is a Ferrari forum, Ferrari in Camera is one of the jewels in any Ferrari book collectors' library and one of the most desirable in the Palawan book range (especially the very rare Ferrari edition).

Sharknose likes this.
  11. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Thank you very much for your generous comments - actually just stumbled across them as a surprise - and very much appreciated. I must admit to being quite surprised by that book, whenever I revisit it. But with dear old, crusty, feisty, Geoff's photography and Palawan's production standards there was only one way we could go wrong.

No pressure there, then... :rolleyes:

DCN

ggjjr, Nembo1777, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  12. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    When I bought my first copy of Ferrari in Camera, just after its release in 1996, I felt as if I had seen the light, the sentiment was that profound. The book was, and to me still is, on a different planet from others. Quite incredible to be this touched, even after more than a quarter of a century. Palawan Press has done other fine books, most of which I am lucky to have on my bookshelves, but Ferrari in Camera would be the last one to part with. I think I'm not alone here. Thank you very, very much Doug!

Mick

Rosey likes this.
  13. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I was very late on the scene with FIC buying it only 6 months ago and I paid a very heavy financial price.

Having said that I am so grateful to own a copy.

With 1,110 copies produced they are not super rare, but when you think of the number of book collectors, tifosi and Ferrari owners around the world, there's certainly more demand than supply.

Buchpilot and bloomberg like this.
  14. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I have the half-leather (standard) edition of Aston Martin V8 1969-2000, which ranks among the Top 3 books of my collection. It is extremely well written, shows a great layout and is very well printed and bound. As well, the V8 register is absolutely fabulous and shows many great full-page images. In my view, both books are the benchmark for any other book to come.

Furthermore, Racing through Europe and the Owners' Edition of Gullwing (Mercedes 300 SL) are in my collection. Much has been said about Racing through Europe and needs not to be repeated. It's just fabulous. The Gullwing books are as well very good reading and enjoyable to browse through.

I am still hunting Ferrari in Camera, which I missed and, yes, I admit, which I underestimated. I know now that it is very well made and a pleasure to read. The same is valid in my view for Aston Martin DB4GT. Problem is that prices at auctions and private sales vary widely between 900 and 2.500 euros. You just have to be at the right place at the right time to get one ;-) The hunt continues ... ;-)

Lars T. likes this.
  15. Halfwit

Halfwit Rookie

Mar 17, 2019
    UK
    Full Name:
    Charlie Lodge
    There are 2 for sale ,one on E bay and another on Abebooks both UK supply.One priced at 1850 GBP and the other at 1825 GBP. Both look in excellent condition.

16. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Actually it is 1.100 copies. The Ferrari edition was included in the leather edition.

Rosey likes this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Cool 1,100, even rarer.

18. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    The best copies tend to be the most expensive. But be careful, some images can be deceiving. Best to check out a copy ‘in the flesh’.

Rosey and Buchpilot like this.
  19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #19 Rosey, Oct 1, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Agree, pay a bit more for a mint or near mint copy.

Even though these were expensive books when new after twenty or so years some can be showing signs of wear or neglect.

The blue cloth truly mint versions (the ones that come with the outer carton as well) are harder to find than you might think (if that's what you're searching for).

Buchpilot likes this.
  20. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I could perfectly get along with an average condition copy of the blue cloth edition (although the yellow Morocco leather edition remains my dream :)).

Rosey likes this.
  21. markst270

markst270 Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Cory
  22. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Palawan will solve that for you, no doubt.

23. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Good for you! Your financial position with regarding book purchases is now challenged :)

I have the Aston Martin V8 book and I found it underwhelming. It's certainly a decent tome, however it doesn't go into depth with regards the development of the car and the people involved to the degree I was expecting. I'd call it more of a picture book. I didn't learn much from a technical perspective. This is in contrast to the Kidston Miura book which was cheaper and streets ahead (pun intended) with regards the text and information.

Having said that, I'm a sucker for this stuff, and would have bought it anyway :D

Racing Through Europe, I have no idea.

24. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    That's so disappointing.

Is it damaged across multiple pages?

25. markst270

markst270 Karting

Aug 5, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Cory
    Yes a lot of pages were also stuck together, and damaging pages when prised apart, and now the joy of sending a 6 kilo book back, not acceptable for a £1000 book Image Unavailable, Please Login