Can we stop the Purosangue? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Can we stop the Purosangue?

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by nicolaprince, Sep 1, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you love or hate the Purosangue project?

1. I love it, i want one!

101 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. I hate it, please stop it now!

121 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I expect that adding an SUV to the Ferrari line will not impact sales of the rest of their product line. I expect also that the Ferrari management made the analysis and came to that conclusion.

We, on the sidelines, can titch-titch about such corporate sales plotting, but as long as our demand for their traditional line of supercars continues to exceed supply, Ferrari Corp will be happy. I doubt Cayenne sales hurt 911 sales.

That said, I am sure another scenario that was evaluated was making Ferrari branding part of the broader product line at FCA. They might have stuck "Suspension by Ferrari" badges on all sorts of Fiats. This is the way AMG was integrated into Mercedes and how BMW uses the "M" brand. ... Maybe its just that "Ferrari" is too long a word compared to "AMG" or "M".

elephantgrinds and Texas Forever like this.
  2. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    I think this will ultimately self-correct. Ferrari is 5-15 years late to this game and it'll be an also-ran at the end of the day. I say this as someone who doesn't mind them entering this segment.

They're supposed to be innovative/the trendsetters, not bringing a vehicle to market because of fomo. Segment is hot today, but wait for the bottom to fall out.

elephantgrinds likes this.
  3. mattexplore

mattexplore Rookie

Mar 1, 2021
    Prescott, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Matthew Scott
    I’m sure my dog would love a Puro. And if I can drive a Ferrari with my dog inside (an 80lb greyhound rescue) I’ll likely line up to get one.

Why not have a DD from the brand we all love?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Parts prices. Depreciation. Slow maintenance at dealerships. No loaner cars. For good or bad, Ferrari ain't Lexus.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Any car depreciates. I will never understand why people think they can drive for free. An SUV/FUV is not more than a regular car, even if it's a RR Cullinan. If you can't afford a car (that depreciates) stay at home. And if your dealer doesn't give you a loaner car while yours is being serviced go to another dealer. It's that simple.

Marcel Massini

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Lots of Ferrari dealers in your neighborhood?

Depreciation matters a lot more when the car starts at 300K vs 70K

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I agree, and the smart thing to do if you want to avoid drastic depreciation, is buy the model a couple years old.

elephantgrinds, randkin and Lusso123 like this.
  8. K8M

K8M Rookie

Nov 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    KM
    Has any marque made a genuinely sporty SUV that excites and stirs the emotions? Not really.

What if Ferrari could achieve that? That in itself would be an engineering marvel. And if Ferrari can make it look like a piece of art to stir the emotions, all the better.

I believe that is the challenge.

The Purosangue is not intended to be a classic GTO or whatever. It is supposed to be an SUV with Ferrari's DNA and philosophy running through its design and engineering, and I guess that's one reason they refer to it as an FUV.

Exactly. It will be for customers looking for an expensive daily driver with fantastic engineering, great styling and 4 comfortable seats so they can share a Ferrari experience with family, friends and pet friends. For customers who don't want or no longer want a RR Cullinan or Lamborghini Urus or Aston Martin DBX or Range Rover.

A hybrid V8 for the "budget" model. A V12 model for the purists.

Will Ferrari meet the FUV/SUV challenge with the 1st gen Purosangue? May be, may be not, in which case we wait for the 2nd gen.

But it's going to sell.

9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    All I can say is, if they want to grab my attention and make me, a Ferrarista, want to lay down some cash for one—it better blow my socks off or forget it.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    If you wanna play you have to pay.
    If you can't afford depreciation don't buy.
    As simple as that.

Marcel Massini

11. K8M

K8M Rookie

Nov 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    KM
    Yes. Or buy a pre-owned car if you don't want to pay for the depreciation.

12. K8M

K8M Rookie

Nov 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    KM
    Totally understand where you are coming.

But should our expectations of the Ferrari SUV be different to say, that of a mid-engine V8 Ferrari?

I think so. In which case, can Ferrari manage and meet those expectations? I hope so and I believe they can.

Even if they do not fully hit the mark with the 1st gen, I think they will continuously fine tune the design and engineering to make it work. Looking forward to it.

elephantgrinds and italiafan like this.
  13. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Yes, you can stop it.

You can buy enough stock that you can influence the Board to stop it, or threaten to vote them out. You can partner with other investors to do the same. Maybe some FChatters should try and start a proxy battle to block the SUV for the good of the brand? It would get some good press!

WHen I go tp work on Monday, I will check and see who the largest shareholders are.

14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    This firm:

Baillie Gifford and Company

owns over 5% of the outstanding stock. Maybe their CEO is a car guy? Ferrari will take his calls.

Let's get something going!

15. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    True, though it can seem a little like buying a second hand bespoke suit. There is a lot of pleasure in personalising you car to be “just so”….

16. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    at 300k plus its not gonna be a soccer mom's SUV more like a power brokers chariot of choice

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The premise of stopping the Puro from being built is absolutely hilarious

18. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    They have to make money for shareholders, I get that, but I see the Puro as one more step towards making the brand itself just another product out there, albeit a fancy, expensive one. Calling it an "FUV" is just marketing schtick; makes me sort of cringe whenever I read that.

To anyone paying attention to motorcycles, all you have to do is look around and see that most bikes you see on the road are big, heavy, cruising bikes. Ducati makes small, light, (mostly) sport-purpose motorcycles, and as a company has a devout following. Yet to my knowledge, they have no plans to build a 900-lb, $40,000 bagger.

I wanted Ferrari to be like the Ducati of cars.

JTSE30 and kes7u like this.
  19. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Ferrari built the Diavel to compete with Harley and the Multistrada to compete with BMW and KTM. The Multistrada is a terrible motorcycle in the dual sport category and was widely viewed as a money grabbing flop.

And don’t get me started on the new line of Ducati “scramblers.” Another money grabbing effort, 10 years late to the game, and just terrible motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Sure, Ducati made more than just sport bikes in an effort to make a product people would want, and no (re: Scrambler) they weren't all great. The Diavel was billed as the Ducati for Harley riders, but at least it was a rocket that came in under 500 lbs. To my mind, though, they didn't stray quite so far away from the ballpark as I feel Ferrari is going with the Puro.

Just my opinion but yes, I do see your point.

21. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    I 100% agree with you Ducati made odd choices in some of their bike just like when the went from the 996 body to the 748 and the 999 body style. I think Ferrari making an “SUV” is not a smart choice they should stick to their roots like Ducati even though they have made scramblers which were made in the 60 and 70 but they were still race oriented. I think Ferrari should bring back manual transmissions back in their cars and get rid of the shifter paddles. Like it was said in a previous post this isn’t a family SUV it’s gonna be a 300K car which most families can’t afford and plus I think people get a Ferrari for the sports car feel not the SUV feel!

22. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    You cannot even compare Ducati with Ferrari, Ferrari is a completely different company , Ducati builds motorcycles, and does what every other bike company does, they build a line of bikes, that will appeal to a wide set of riders, riders is the key word, Ferrari used to be a company that built just cars, and a small line at that, Ducati has a nice tight compact line of motorcycles. Most Ferrari buyers are not car enthusiasts . they are rich buyers who dont have a clue how to drive them properly and can care less about their history , present company excluded. Ducatis are bought 90 % by motorcycle enthusiasts , who love to ride, and who love Ducati for their heritage and bloodline, thats the way Ferrari / owners used to be, but not anymore. All companies want to make money, Ferrari is going about it in a way that kind of reverses what the company was founded on. In any case, at this point I could care less what they build or who buys them . I hope to afford a 488 someday, until then, I will stick with the 328 , and I will always be reminded of what Ferrari once was . Lets not forget about the FF abomination , Ducati does not build abominations, thats for sure
    Thank you

Attached Files:

23. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Interesting thread, for my $.02, once I start DD a car it is no longer soooo special. I am much more likely to buy new car for more special/weekend driving and far more likely to buy a used car for DD duties. I just find it in my heart to think of a SUV as “special”. I doubt I would ever buy a Ferrari SUV as to me the purpose of a SUV is DD and grocery getting. For me I want a car I can park most anywhere in a parking lot and not be overly concern. With my special cars I am paranoid about parking lots so DD a Ferrari even a SUV just would not be “fun” for me.

24. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Come on. Someone with shares please initiate a proxy battle to stop the SUV!

Typical Activist Investing Process

The investment process of an activist investor typically involves:

• Screening and analysis of activist opportunities.
    • Buying an initial stake in the target company (typically less than 10% of voting rights).
    • Submitting a public proposal for changes to the company, usually in the form of an open letter to the company.
    • If no agreement, threatening a proxy contest (a proxy contest is a shareholder vote to force the proposed changes on the company).
    • If no agreement, launching a proxy contest.
    • Continuing to negotiate with management, but with no agreement eventually taking the matter to a proxy contest.

25. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Truth