Trade up to 488 or 296? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Trade up to 488 or 296?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by NuorderSG, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

From my local dealer's experience, it was severe. There was one there that sat for about four months in the diagnosis phase. That one was eventually returned to the factory and a replacement was issued to the customer....or so I was told.

I would assume that between LaFerrari and the SF90, Ferrari has been working out the kinks in their hybrid technology. Maybe I am being too optimistic.

430jm, Napoli and stretchgeneral like this.
  2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    F8 all the way modern, more exotic looking than the 458 and super fast.

I love mine!

3. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I hear you, but I am seeing SF90s from the mid $500s to mostly above $1M. The nice F8s are in the high $400s seemingly within striking distance of the Low end of the SF90s.

It's tempting but too much $$$ for something that will be driven regularly on public roads.

Thanks for the thought!

PA Wolfpacker likes this.
  4. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Being in a not too dissimilar position as you (458 spider owner), I decided to get a F8 spider and a Huracan STO to add to my stable.

In an ideal world, I’d trade my beloved 458 for a Speciale (having seen it in the flesh and appreciating it for the passion, finesse and perfection it represents). Few if any NA cars can touch it.

I considered the 296, but a spider version is a ways out, still unsure about the technology, and I’ll have the STO and F8 much sooner to play around with.

And we’ll go from there…………

NuorderSG likes this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What have you decided?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I sold my 458 in February and severely regretted it...this week i bought another 458 (better spec & car ) but cost me an insane amount i still can't wrap my head around..if i would have just kept mine i'd be very happy & almost $100K wealthier lol ..

The car i bought after the 458 is a 550 Maranello and i love it, but love the 458 more..the 488 does nothing for me, sound or sytling wise..296 is hybrid, so meh

430jm, Caeruleus11, wthensler and 2 others like this.
  7. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    True buuuttt maybe if you didnt sell yours and feel regret, you would not feel how strongly you do now lol
    Sucks but true

430jm likes this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Did the same with my Speciale …. Ferrari passion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hey Tarek you didn’t tell me you sold your first 458. Isn’t this the one you had the tranny sensors fixed? You shoulda told me, we coulda swapped transmissions, lol! Mine’s coming up on 25k miles, so……

Well, at least you’ve atoned for your sin, painful as it was……..

10. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    yup sold it in february, just felt guilty having all that $$ in 1 car, imagine how i feel now that i just bought another at todays prices, already buyers remorse is killing me lol..hopefully once she arrives i'll feel better about my decision

430jm, AD211 and wthensler like this.
  11. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    haha, possibly, either way after 2-3 months i'm usually over a car and want to sell it..so far the longest lasting cars i've had in the past 5 years are the 458 little over 1 year and 11k miles, and the 360 Modena Manual 1 year 10k miles..i do pile the miles up on these babies!

12. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I love my 458 spider. It’s been phenomenal, but it’s for sure starting to show its age, wear and a few battle scars. I’m on top of the maintenance, and jazzed it up a bit to my liking with exhaust, tune, springs, spacers, etc.

I’ve toyed with the idea of replacing it in kind, but don’t have the time, inclination, energy, etc. to do so. At this point I have what I have, and I’ll just keep enjoying it for what it is.

430jm, rw99 and italiafan like this.
  13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Nothing wrong with that!

wthensler likes this.
  14. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Keeping the 458. I am going to wait on the hybrids until the bugs get sorted out.

Three were sold and already delivered by my local dealer. Let's just say that I'll wait for the next series

430jm, F2003-GA and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    It could be a while.

430jm and JTSE30 like this.
  16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    anything after the 458 is a waste of time and money. do not sell the 459

430jm likes this.
  17. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Where? Your location is not shown in your profile.

18. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Left Coast, Northern California.

19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Our dealer mentioned some early SF90 issues, he delayed our car a couple of months and it’s been fine. Have done 1,000 miles in it. What a car it is. Can’t feel the weight but can very definitely feel the thrust. If you want modern and fast go 296, no question. But, my advice is a V12. You already have a V8 so an 812 would offer something very different and quite wonderful. Personally I would leave the F12 which doesn’t drive as well but some love it’s blend of good looks and feeling of unbridled power. The 812 is faster but does a much better job of controlling it, it’s a masterpiece.

430jm and NuorderSG like this.
  20. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    As for trading "up" to a 488 there's plenty of discussions here, which essentially boil down to: the 488 is "better" but some (like me) find it less soulful, and then there's the story of the last N/A, the sound and so on.
    As for trading "up" to a 296 there are of course a number of car-philosophy matters involved: V6 vs V8, hybrid, will it have issues... but to me there's honestly one much bigger issue that comes before that: I really don't like the 296! I have been invited to the static presentation of the car and... it's a no to me. I, for me, appreciated the evident effort of making the car as small as possible, but nothing else. I personally don't like the 70's slot-car look and I find it bland but artificial at the same time, not really Ferrari, and it didn't make me hot or wanting it at all. I am sure it will be an unbelievable drive, someone else will like it and maybe I am not the customer they had in mind in designing the car, but if you ask me I will happily keep my 458. As for the car being a commercial hit/miss nobody can clearly say, but I am personally a Ferrari-nobody but, despite that, they invited me to the presentation and mailed me twice to ask me if I wanted to proceed with the purchase, as I could have one: not the same for the 458 Speciale A or the 812 Competizione A...

Viperjoe likes this.
  21. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I have been trying to come up with the right description for the 296 in my mind. You nailed it....."the 70's slot-car look". Thanks

Viperjoe likes this.
  22. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Ahahahah! Thanks for appreciating.

23. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Thank you thank YOU! You very well verbalized what I have been feeling. The 296 doesn't jump and grab me. I want the power and performance, but it needs to be package in something special. Throw in teething issues and it's a deal breaker.

The SF90 does excite me. I would love to get my hands on one. - but that is too much car for me. I still work for a living.

24. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    812 is a seriously fantastic car.