FCA Events | FerrariChat

FCA Events

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by jeffr6, Sep 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffr6

jeffr6 Rookie

Nov 8, 2010
    Hey all, just curious why the desert region is basically non existent in Arizona. The website never has any events listed and when I reached out via the contact info on the website I was never even acknowledged. It just doesn't seem to add up for a community that has so many other car events and drives. Maybe there's another place I should be looking?

2. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    I’ve noticed this as well, I’ve posted a few drives and never a response except maybe afterwards. I’ve kinda assumed there are lots of members that either don’t have an Fcar or don’t drive them.

Blessed F430 and 458 owner

3. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Their website leaves much to be desired and having gone to the trouble of joining FCA again after moving to Tucson last year, it looks like most of their events are communicated via newsletter to members. They were advertising for someone to help with their website and I considered volunteering, but so far the gatherings are generally Phoenix-based or further north, so not much practical use for someone living in my neck of the woods.

I had also contacted them when I moved here and never got a reply, which is disappointing. If I lived in the Phoenix area, I'd probably attend some of their events, but would prefer activities with more driving focus and less dining out.

Not sure it's worth it, but if you join FCA, you'll at least get on their mailing list. I will say they're a step up from the South Carolina chapter. Coming events from the most recent newsletter below and pdf of the full newsletter attached if you're interested.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Reficul likes this.
  4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The problem is the people. I, (along with 3 other guys) started what turned into the Desert Region of the FCA. This was early to mid '90s. We started as an FOC region and morphed to the FCA. I was also the 1st regional director.

I have loved these things since I was 6 and I have been fortunate enough to have made (mostly) good decisions and busted my butt, which has had me owning, driving and racing them since my 20's. Our object was to get Ferrari guys together for drives and track days. No drama. Just basically fun with cars. It went like gang busters! Within a year or so we had almost 200 members and most were active.

But, like many car clubs it gets infiltrated with people with ulterior motives. People selling. People stealing. And with Ferraris unfortunately.... people posing and refusing to put miles on their cars and God forbid..... go to the track. There was one member that was defrauding other members with BS investments to the tune of 10s of thousands of dollars. I spent much of time getting member's money back. From what I understand that character is still around.

The club went through several cycles of fun, drama, fun, drama. I hung in there for the love of the cars. But finally, after 25 years of making excuses for these guys not to actually be complete jerks, I threw the towel in. Apparently, they are probably in their drama/ulterior motive cycle judging by the response you are getting. As I always told people...... in a social group, people will gravitate to people and things that are fun. If you or it are not fun expect to be alone.

I still love the cars, but my FCA experience lead me to come up with a slogan for the Desert Region..... "The FCA: you'll come for the cars, and leave because of the people". I'm always open for a drive and coffee. Message me and maybe we can get together.

Bryanp and copterjon like this.
  5. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe it's unfair for me to say, but I'm starting to think FCA may be evolving to more of a "gentleman's club" oriented towards "fine dining and being seen" rather than simply enjoying the driving abilities F cars offer. This certainly seemed to be the case in the Southeast region where I was a member for 3 years. Lots of upscale dining, occasional polo matches, and parking at car shows, but not a single driving event that I can recall (unless you count driving from the car show to a restaurant). My membership ended when the region organized a Ferrari display at the Hilton Head Concours (my home base) with friends and non-members and never announced it to the local club members.

No one grows up in the modern world without knowing the Ferrari name and F car sightings are so much more common today than they were 10 years ago (at least in places where I've lived), leading me to believe there's a larger percentage of owners that see them primarily as status symbols and could care less about the heritage and performance.

I'm sure there's still a number of true enthusiasts in FCA and have to admit that attending the annual event in Daytona and tracking my car was one of life's highlights. Maybe you just have to find the right chapter.

Ingenere and copterjon like this.
  6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I guess the posing disease has spread! Hit me up and I may be able rustle up a few guys that will actually not freak out if the odometer moves! :)

7. Reficul

Reficul Rookie

May 28, 2021
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Full Name:
    Claude
    Thank you for posting that, before I joined a club (joined FOC), I thought I had done my due diligence with regards to my area, from the looks of the download FCA may have a better presence in this region...

8. jimmyr

jimmyr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Dino, have been with you from the start, and fully agree with your views. Jim

copterjon and Bryanp like this.
  9. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Jim... You know me. I'll always call a spade a spade.

Bryanp likes this.
  10. mxstav@comcast.net

Nov 24, 2005
    Green Oaks, IL
    Full Name:
    Mark Stavropoulos
    That's a bummer to hear about your FCA region. I am moving to Cave Creek for the winter and was looking forward to some fun events. I am from the Chicago region and we have a pretty good mix of events, despite the crappy weather, short season and bad roads.

I know Firebird is nearby. Does the club ever have events there? What about drives through the mountains?

11. My AZFerrari

My AZFerrari Karting

Sep 16, 2018
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Sean Thompson
    I take one of my cars for a drive somewhere in the desert every Sunday, usually 150-200 miles. I’ve never had a problem and you never see another Ferrari….I do believe that most owners see the cars as “art” or for investing instead of for driving.

Blessed F430 and 458 owner

12. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    After moving here last year we’ve done a lot of long desert drives out of Tucson but never with the club. The local Porsche club is more active here. I think all it takes is for a bunch of us to organize and throw some Ferrari events of our own.

[email protected] likes this.
  13. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Also relatively new to Tucson and I agree on both counts. Ingenere gave me some suggestions I'd like to try out sometime. I'll PM my contact details to you or if you spot a Blu America F12 at C&C, let's talk :)