Official Daytona Pics | Page 102 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Alex,

As you may know I have been dealing with and studying this issue on multiple Daytonas in past 10-15 years already and have personally become convinced that their originally designed/engineered, i.e. intended (front) “ride height” specs vs. what the cars actually ended up with are quite different.
    As to how and why, I have my own theories, but since I wasn't there ...

Due to these differences and my interest (obsession ?) to see these cars can be corrected to match originally designed/engineered/intended "ride height" without having to resort to aftermarket coil-overs, etc, I ended up developing/engineering a "cure" which allows retaining all the original suspension components (shocks, springs, etc).
    While my research and studies of this is inconclusive and still ongoing, I've successfully managed to “cure” several Daytonas and recently an 330 GTC, although latter ended up (by owners choice) with less than factory intended “ride height”.

And prior to implementation of the “cure”, all but the 330, received a full suspension system rebuild or replacement of everything, including all bushings, joints, shocks AND new springs, only to find out that while it provided improvements, it still wasn't anywhere near enough to bring (front) "ride height" to factory specs.

P.S. If you look at (& choose to believe ?) factory “ride height” specs, the inner bolts (i.e. a-arm pivot points), both in front and rear, should be higher than outer ones, when the car is "fully loaded", which IMO should make the (fully loaded) car appear almost perfectly horizontal, especially with correct wheels and tires.
    I think I've previously posted reference pic(s) of the result of "correctly"(?) set (fully loaded) car.

P.P.S. @of2worlds If a Daytona suspension is set-up anywhere near what factory intended or implied in their engineering drawings, it inevitably gives an appearance of "off-roading", especially when comparing to countless cars or their photos with what I personally believe to be incorrect (too low) settings. ;)

of2worlds likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Very interesting thoughts on the suspension settings backed by 'hands on' experience is a very valuable reference point. Thank you!
    This 1970 picture seems to illustrate a 'nose up' attitude for the suspension Ferrari was running at the factory testing back then. There even seems to be a fair amount of vertical space around the rear tire to.
    The off road look seems prominent on Daytona models with new springs and suspensions that have had no street use yet? Typically those newly restored cars are photographed empty to...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Daytonafan likes this.
  3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    were there any factory bulletins to update the original settings?
    maybe the off road look wasnt appealing to the factory line workers and adjustments made?
    brand new daytona magazine road tests do not show an off road appearance and these cars were factory fresh.

4. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hi Timo,

The only spec that I noticed in the Owner's Manual was the spring/shock compression under load. I don't have Technical Manual with me here, but I imagine that there are more specs there; I'll have to take a look. That said, the diagrams in the Owner's Manual don't give the impression that the inners are "super high" compared to the outers.

Regardless, my guess is that crushed rubber bits likely account for much of my "inner low" readings; and even if they don't, I'm not inclined to worry too much about it. I personally doubt that the factory was super-picky about such things, and unless I find some clear evidence of tampering, I think there is actually an argument for just "letting the car be".

Cheers,
    Alex

5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would not give too much weight to photos of "mules" of any sort.

Who knows what else the factory might have tweaked on a car that was not meant to be a production unit.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Fair enough.
    Here is a 1973 new delivery picture though 'empty' of passengers...

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  10. buenavides1

buenavides1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    They are indeed gorgeous. I feel like red is most common Ferrari color.

11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    amenasce, of2worlds, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  13. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  14. bertdeboer340

bertdeboer340 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert de Boer
  15. Deemeyere Wim

Deemeyere Wim Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Wim Demeyere
  16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Too bad it has been heavily "modified" or "upgraded" (or should I say "improved" or rather "personalized"?) and the entire nose changed, also the tail.

Marcel Massini

Pierre P, ferrarik and readplays like this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Looks like a TVR but the lawn is unquestionably lovely...

Christian.Fr likes this.
  18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    13901, born Bianco Polo with Rosso VM 3171, converted 2003 into a Group 4 comp car by Piet Roelofs Engineering in The Netherlands for a Swiss collector.
    Sold this year to another collector in Switzerland.

Marcel Massini

LVP488, Timo Seefeld, ivo73 and 4 others like this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
  20. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Just to confirm and add to the story. While it is likely that the car Chinetti ran in '71 (12467) had some engine mods, when I go the car in '77,(after time spent at Holman & Moody), it did not have P6 cams, the larger jetting, or the 42mm exhaust; 9" fronts and 11" rears (and flares), nor the full side exhausts. With all of that completed it became a very different "beast"!

Daytonafan, 375+ and of2worlds like this.
  21. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    How many years and/or miles ?
    Just curious, because I recently experience something similar with anti-sway bar link bushings I replaced about 15 years and 2K-2.5K miles ago (I know, I know, not enough driving during that time span and all chassis/safety related rubber items should be replaced every 10 years or less, regardless of mileage).

V12addict and of2worlds like this.
  23. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    About 9 years ago same 2K miles - no sign of any rot etc.

TTR and of2worlds like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Interesting.
    Thanks for the reference.
    Almost begs a question if both instances (yours and mine) would’ve survived better with more frequent use ?

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Taken March 1970 in Geneva, Switzerland.
    Note additional center section of rear bumpers, plus antenna on trunk lid.

Marcel Massini

Daytonafan, of2worlds, ivo73 and 3 others like this.