Wanted - 1980 308 wheels | FerrariChat

Wanted 1980 308 wheels

Discussion in 'Parts & Collectibles' started by SAFE4NOW, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Looking for a full set of 14" Cromodora or Campagnolo 308 wheel. Or a full set of metric equivalent.

Cosmetic condition is not as important as structural condition.

What’s out there?

Steve

p.s. Next I have to figure out what to do with a full set of these currently on the car:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. buenavides1

buenavides1 Rookie

Sep 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Calvin
    I tried to consult Google, but I can't find a set with the 5-spoke classic pattern.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have full sets of both brands, in 14"......m aybe even six of the Cromos
    Would tend to retain the rarer Campy's

Your play, make an offer, they won't go cheap

Those look like 390s on it?
    They make great wall hose reels for the shop

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's because they are now rare, the 1970s was a long time ago mate......my virginity is lost, back there....

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's actually niche market of 390mm owners that just love giving Coker or Longstone $500 per tire....

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    70’s, are a long time ago, the earlier threads I was reading, you couldn't GIVE the 14’s away, seems like many were scrapped ...

PM me a price, I’m not sold on one version or another... I have the full size spare , I’ll look closer tomorrow to see what it says.

Steve

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sure man, I'm not trying to kill anybody on price...but indeed, I was gathering sets, singles and so forth back when I was maintaining three early cars.

I 've got a 16" QV set too, but date stamps are years apart right side vs. left!

As you know with daily ue you are going t meet a pothole now and then and these are actually light, yet very porous castings.
    Delicate is a good word.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's only when you mount 16" s on an early car (I have some beautiful Etoile wheels) that you realize that the early cars depended on the sidewall flex, as part of the suspension.

Bolting 16's up immediately makes for a harsher pounding ride experience, over railroad tracks and such..

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe 390s, the 14"s were far too common to destroy them all but at times it was hard to get quality tires.
    I mean modern Toyotas come on 19"s, these 14"s are "of a time"..

But my stockpile was a hedge when rising values would want "the proper original wheel"....

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Got really lucky and struck a good deal with a local ( DFW ) FCA Member!
    ( Now to the refinisher )

Thank to to everyone who messaged me and replied.

Steve

11. Scuderia Smith Motorsports

May 30, 2011
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Cody Smith
    Steve, if those don’t work out, I have a brand new set in original factory boxes.

12. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    14" or 390 mm ?

13. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have a set of 308 Metric wheels, I'll check which ones in the morning

14. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter
    SL129 Original set of 4.

15. aerobroker

aerobroker Rookie

Mar 24, 2015
    Are your's the TRX? I am fairly sure I have 1 (one) of the regular 308 wheels - I will check and send photo.

16. bombguy54

bombguy54 Rookie

Feb 20, 2015
    Big Island of Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robin Hall
    I'm an ex-Ferrarilister...anyone remember the Ferrarilist?
    In '97 I purchased an '81 308 GTSi with a blown engine (the only way I could ever afford an F-car was to buy a broken example); a con rod decided it didn't like being part of the rotating assembly so exited through the side of the block.
    I refer to my '81 308 as my "Franken-Ferrari" because I replaced the engine with an earlier ('76?, '77?, '78? not sure) carburetted version. Because the car was no longer viable for "show" I made several other mods that suited my vision of the car. Besides, in the 90s the Ferrari purists referred to the 3X8s as the "POS 3X8s"; some oldsters may recall the reference. The only 308s more maligned and frowned upon were the four-seaters, the Mondial and the Bertone-designed GT4.
    That prelude in mind, and the lack of availability of well-performing metric tires, I replaced the metrics with a set of one-off Boyd's 16" wheels, 7s and 8s, short of the wheels being of polished aluminum, have a similar five-spoke design.
    So...what I have is all five original 390mm wheels, with the "vintage" tires mounted, tires that MIGHT be safe on a museum-stored example. I would NEVER condone driving anywhere with the currently-mounted 25-year-old rubber.
    Honestly, I have no idea of the value. I do online searches for the wheels to find sale prices from $250 on the low side (BaT auction), to a crazy asking price of >$1500/wheel (eBay).
    Throw me a number for all five wheels and tires, however consider the following. I'm on the Big Island of Hawaii. Shipping, or the how-to thereof, will be on you. If you want the tires dismounted, that will be on your dime and accomplished AFTER I have received payment for the wheels. If you find these conditions acceptable and are still interested, I'll pull them out of storage for photos.