458 - 458 vs 458 speciale | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 458 vs 458 speciale

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by darkbard, Sep 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    As you can see from the last picture, due to the hard top the line of the spider is almost identical to the Italia and, trust me, the pros outweigh the cons by a stretch. I had the same thought in mind but I got used to it really quickly (in fact 14 secs!).

Lastly, resell value is higher too.

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    458 coupe was my first Ferrari. I have subsequently purchased more than fifty so be careful, lol.

I had sold, then bought another Speciale. It is a great driving car. I enjoy tracking it occasionally even though I have the 458 Challenge racecar as well.

I do not do extended warranties. Those companies selling them do so at prices to make a profit.

I do not put after market exhausts on Ferraris except the F50 which has a Tubi. A few 430 and 458 models I put on a valve opener.

I agree with you that the Speciale and 458 standout from their turbo-charged counterparts. While slower, the run up in RPM’s is more exciting and visceral than the look and click nature of the faster revving turbo machines.

Only thing I might suggest is to also drive a 430 Scuderia and a 360 Challenge Stradale. Those two cars are even more visceral than the Speciale. If I could have only one non supercar Ferrari, it might well be a 360 Challenge Stradale.

-K1-, FLU, RoadRonin and 3 others like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As a fellow Dane, I will strongly advise you against buying cash. You need to do what the rest of us do and use the benefits of Flex leasing, especially on an older car where monthly payments are low for the time you're on plates. It also protects you from taking a big hit the day you sell as it opens up the possibility of selling all over Europe without losing what you paid for registration.

The absolutely most sensible thing to do is to head to Lyngby at have a chat with the guys. No matter if you find the car yourself or let them find one, they can help you with the practical stuff.

You should also take into consideration that most of your fellow Ferrari owners here in DK won't consider purchasing your car if they have to pay full registration. So again, you are either forced to sell abroad and take a big loss as Skat won't reimburse much of what you paid in registration tax, or a loss because we normally deal in Euro prices without registration. If you don't know the in's and out's of the Flex Leasing game, you need to sit down at talk to a professional about it.

Don't see this as njt owning the car, because you do and you are ultimately accountable to cover a loss or take the profit once the car is sold. That's the beauty of Flex Leasing. It has basically been concocted to make owning these cars less problematic.

The only cars here normally paid in full right off the bat, are vintage stuff and some of the halo models etc. but a 458 you Flex Lease in DK.

Most of us have the "summer cars" on plates from around the last week of April and to the end of September. Then we switch to the winter cars.

As for 458 Italia or Speciale? Just too many things I think they fixed on the Speciale to even make that a question.

The 458 Spider? It's nothing like a 488 or F8 Spider. It is very soft and flimsy in its chassis, as it shakes and wobbles its way down the freeway.

Set up an appointment with Formula and take it from there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

darkbard, Need4Spd and Avi Das like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Will add that DK is fine for a Spider. The summer we had this year was actually a bit too hot at times. Have been driving the 812 top-down non-stop since weather got nice this Thursday. Just know that as I said before, the 458 Spider comes with a big penalty in stiffness. It's a cruiser more than a sharpened b-road carving tool.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    +1
    CS so good I bought 2.
    But I have yet to drive a Scud or 16m

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This.

They are nothing alike. Several little things make the Speciale engine feel totally different.

Lighter rotating assembly.
    Higher static and dynamic compression.
    More aggressive cams.
    More free flowing exhaust.
    Different mapping.
    Totally different and better mapped throttle tip-in and response.
    Different TCU programming which makes the Speciale feel more planted during shifts - it's smoother.
    Much better brake cooling and larger brake pads.
    Less darty and a more connected steering feel.

In many ways the Speciale is what the 458 Italia should have been and a spec sheet does not even begin to tell the whole story.

mdrums, sampelligrino, Eilig and 2 others like this.
  7. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Agreed. It's the only downside for me. But the fact is that it's less noticeable with the top up, give the hard top. So I've learned to live with it. But yes, VERY shaky especially if the road is not super smooth.

8. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Wow, I didn't know there were so many differences. Since I drive my 458S pretty hard and have tracked it 3x in 1 year, I'd love to experience the Speciale one day! But the price is just crazy...

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Well, the truck is pretty fun to drive :)

Ray

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    From that perspective, you’re right!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Wait wait, you bought 50 Ferrari’s since your 458?? Which Ferraris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Everything you can imagine and mor

13. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I just don’t see the SVJ as a a solid handling car, say through the canyons

Avia11 and Twosherpaz like this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    16m pretty amazing

15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Speciale so good I bought 4. :)

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Remember it was the record holder for the Ring, so something works well in the corners.

17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Agree.like the Perf. it really does not live up to the hype once you put it on a track. No doubt that the car they used on the Ring was not set up in the sane way as,a customer car apart from the tyres. Having tracked the regular SV twice, I just don't see how they can change the car to become a nimble and swift feeling performer. The SV felt as cilumberso.e and clunky as any other Aventador I've been in, and when I talk to drivers of SVJ's that I know can really drive, they tell me it's just more of the same.

Now the Pista and 765 on the other hand, they are serious canyon carvers.

Twosherpaz and plastique999 like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    mdrums and wthensler like this.
  19. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Thanks.

Yeah, took a while for me to get how leasing works in DK but due to the high taxes, seems to be the only reasonable approach. I bought my Porsche cache a few months ago, and now that I understand the systen I am regretting it :)

I have been at FA a few times already and they have done a great job so far. I am just undecided if I should follow my impatience and buy the white Italia they have there, or hunt for something else in Europe.

Regarding the spider, is the shaking so relevant that makes the driving experience unpleasant? In the past I owned both hard and soft top convertibles, and it was never a huge deal. Could feel the difference, but the ability to enjoy a curvy road in spring with the roof down was worth the lavk of stiffness for me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

20. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Didn’t see many GTS around in CPH other than a darl blue and a dark green ones. If you own one of the two, great job, they looked gorgeous!

Do you feel the same penalty in stiffness on the 812 GTS too? Or is the issue mainly on the 458 due to the fact that its an old generation chassis?

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes the stiffness matters. It's not just something that shows when pushing hard. Even going down the freeway the car shakes and wobbles when you pass a joint in the road surface, cross a bridge etc. Of all the different styles of drop top cars I've driven, the 458 is probably the one that has been the most noticable as the car doesn't hide the flex as other cars sometimes do. To me it makes the car feel like it tries to be something it's not. I'm a huge drop top guy, but despite that, I just cannot get to terms with how the 458 Spider feels.

Considering the fact that the season is almost over, why not just tell FA what you like and let them find a car and do the PPI? Who's your sales rep?

22. darkbard

darkbard Rookie

Jul 21, 2021
    Wow, congrats. Well, if I could afford 50 I would probably approach this purchase differently:)

Eventually, never say never ;)

I guess that what I want to protect against, is buying the car and having a serious engine failure short thereafter, and have to dump another 50k on top of the purchase price. It won’t make me broke but it would be super annoying. What’s the risk of that happening? I guess nobody knows, so probably 5k USD on the warranty is worth it? Not sure

23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Could be;)

No, the GTS is nothing like the 458. Much, much stiffer. Same goes for the 488 and F8 Spider as well. They reworked the 458 SA a bit, and then did even more on the 488. The thing is that the 458 was developed pre-McLaren, and there really wasn't a benchmark. Then after McLaren came out with stiff drop tops, Ferrari decided to seriously up the game with the 488 Spider.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    From a purely statistical standpoint if it is a lucrative profitable business model to sell extended warranties then you know it isn’t worth it to buy one. It is a whole industry that thrives on the anxiety of the individual.

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Not only does the 488 spider not approach the stiffness of the comparable Mclaren or Huracan models, the F8 spider still suffers from rigidity issues and cowlshake.