Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Add me to the list!

Full 6-1 system, cats, double H, Fabio's mufflers!!

Got my car back from the shop yesterday (still working on the valve controller but honestly not sure it needs it). I've already put a full tank of gas through the car it's that addictive!

I have so many things to say, most which have been said before. One unexpected standout is that my car now has ZERO drone or booming noise at idle and cruising speeds which was a huge drawback of the factory HGTC mufflers in my opinion. Fabio's system has surprisingly made my car significantly more "mellow" at low speeds and constant highway RPM and I couldn't be happier with that transformation which should encourage even more driving!

I'm really happy with the almost night and day difference between windows up and windows down / outside. At full throttle windows up the car sounds phenomenal but not obnoxious or tiresome in anyway. I was a little worried that the car might lose its Maranello GT character but that couldn't be further from the truth. It literally just sounds how a 500hp V12 Ferrari should from the drivers seat with no embellishment. However, when you roll down the windows or drive next to some hard surfaces... holy cow it's insane!

Performance gain is definitely noticeable from seat of pants and confirmed with consistently over 1 second improvement to my stock 100-200kph times on Dragy so I think that probably lines up with the ~50hp gain others have mentioned. These Pirellis have no chance in 2nd so will have some fun lighting them up and will get some proper PS4S on there soon. Also I'm really curious what a proper tune will do in the future when the gated conversion is done.

I tend to find the trope "it transforms the car" a little overused when discussing aftermarket parts but dang this is pretty close.

DZ-96, F456M, white out and 3 others like this.
  2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Fantastico!!!!!

P.s. you know it’s a tease to not include a photo or two!

3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    How about a little video?

F456M, DZ-96, NE550 and 3 others like this.
  5. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Enjoyed your comments. Beautiful car and well done on the video. Can’t imagine much better.
    Bill
    FL

6. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ummmm….#YesPlease…..#winning

I think we have talked about this before…when you do the conversion will there be any other US based 575’s at the top of the mountain with you……your car might take the absolute top spot?

F456M likes this.
  7. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    Ha! Someone should really do a Gated conversion + Fabio Superamerica!

8. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Good grief can you imagine one of these on a Barchetta!

9. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel

haha..... yes I want that !

10. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Nice one. Thanks for the video. That doesn't sound impossibly loud at all, which to me is a plus.

What are your before/after figures then?

11. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    So full caveat that my runs both before and after were less than ideal. I just didn't have a good road to comfortably do 10 runs each time and really hone it (did 3 pass each time). Also I think the best times are 3rd to 4th gear but you need to hit redline in 4th and I shifted early a few times with stock exhaust because you can't really hear redline lol. The good thing with the Dragy is it breaks down each 10kph acceleration increment so there's reliable data throughout each run even if it's not a full 100-200 run. I've adjusted my stock times with the early shift to 5th by blending with the last 10kph time done from my good 4th gear pass if that makes sense.

That said my best stock run was 10.6 seconds and my best yesterday with Fabio's system was 9.24. Worst with Fabio's was 9.51. All at 100 degree heat. I think it's reliable data to compare the before and after on my car (more or less same weather, same crappy driver, same roads, same full tank of gas, same instrument) but probably a poor comparison to other cars or times out there.

dhalperin13 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  12. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    A ~1s gain seems pretty good and I bet the car feels faster than that considering its weight. By the way, did you weigh the full old and new exhaust set ups whilst both were off the car?

13. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    I didn’t weigh it. I’d imagine it’s a few pounds lighter but probably not material on a heavy car.

14. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    That 100-200kph is significant. Those headers make a lot of power.

My 575 with 2.5" exhaust and 550 exhaust manifolds put down a 100-200km (60-130) of 9.63 (11.74 was stock) on 91 octane.

Mellow_Maranello likes this.
  15. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    So, if Fabio's headers allow the same performance as 550 headers on a 575, how much do they bring to a 550?

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    They provide more. 4/10 of a second is a significant difference.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fabio's headers are way more efficient than OEM 550 headers, even if they are missing the pre-cats.

My over the axle section is now replaced with one by Supersprint without the crimps, and I replaced the straight pipes with an H pipe. Should about even out the hp and hopefully eliminate the resonance while using OEM Superamerica HGTC mufflers. Hope to get her back soon and see.

18. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    1s gain is great! On my 2001 550 with headers, no cats, Supersprint open x-pipe, and 575 mufflers with open valves I am hitting 20% higher “trap speeds” at my benchmark on-ramp. Traction is now my most significant problem. This is the fastest the car has ever been, and I can’t wait to see what it does with a Go-Flow tune.

white out, Il Tifoso, F456M and 2 others like this.
  19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Nifty, I’m uneducated on this….can you share more….does “go flow” have a website? I thought Trev did some tuning but I don’t think I have any other “notes”?

20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    How is the sound now with the 575 rear mufflers? With open and closed flaps :)

21. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Ferrari created a catless tune for the 550 about 10-15 years ago, and it was distributed for race usage. There is a guy in California that burns both Eproms for $1200. Crazy cheap for the required desoldering/soldering.

It sounds wonderful above 4500rpm. At 3500-4500rpm WOT the mufflers seem to be designed to, as I can best describe it, "rattle" to simulate the V12 sound but at lower exhaust velocities. With full straight-through fast hot air it sounds more like an inexpensive muffler from eBay on an inline 4. So I may take them apart to remove what I would imagine is a piece of metal designed to tap the outer muffler housing.

22. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Re the 575 silencer, there is an early and a later version of these. The earlier silencer was very close in design to the 550 silencer and was used with the resonator in-line similar to the 550. The later version has a much cleaner bypass flow through and was used with straight center pipes. Taz has posted approximately the change over and it may be documented in the parts book.
    Bill
    FL

F456M likes this.
  23. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- AN 51797, around September 2003, near SN 1346xx.

24. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Ok. I like the idea of a combination with the 6-1 headers and a more restrictive original rear muffler to get a bit more Aston Martin DB7 V12 type of sound and really quiet when closed flaps. Didn’t you talk about doing this Terry Philips? Then you would have a good tone when open and quite quiet when closed, and need no center muffler. Or maybe even no catalyzers. Which would make it quite a bit less expencive to add the 6-1 system.

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Erik- I already have Fabio's headers and cats, Supersprint over axle pipes and Superamerica OEM HGTC mufflers. The Supersprint pipes and a non-Fabio H pipe were just added. Not back yet since the techs in Nashville used a charger on her and set off the airbag lamp. Should get her back as soon as they get that extinguished. Hoping no resonance now.

Mine actually sounded pretty good with factory straight center pipes and Superamerica HGTC mufflers, but just a bit too quiet.

F456M likes this.