488 Brakes from track use | FerrariChat

488 Brakes from track use

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by MVPJEFFMVP, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MVPJEFFMVP

MVPJEFFMVP Rookie

Aug 14, 2011
    New Jersey
    It was suggested I post this here since the brakes appear work from minimal track use:

I'm close to closing a deal on a 2016 488 from a private seller who just had the car's annual service done today. The inspection by the dealer noted 50% brake wear. The car has 6200 miles. Is this extreme wear for only 6200miles? I know the owner was reported to have taken the car to two track days sponsored by the selling dealership.

With that being asked, without expecting to track the vehicle, what would be the expected mileage remaining on the brakes? If needing to be replaced, is anyone aware of the replacement cost?

Thanks in advance!

2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The "computed" brake wear is not a very reliable figure - to have an accurrate diagnostic I suppose one would need to remove the rotors and weight them.
    Another issue that may not be reflected in the reported wear is the fact that the surface of the disc may become irregular (one could feel it by touching it) resulting in extremely accelerated pads wear.
    In Europe the full brakes replacement (discs, pads, labour) is around 16 K€, maybe around 20 K$ in the US. At this price some alternative (switching to Surface Transform CCM or Giro disc steel discs, for instance) may be considered.
    My 488 had dead CCM discs after less than 10,000 miles, I did more than two track days though but was cautious with cooling the brakes. I replaced them with Surface Transform discs with Pagid pads.

3. Alexcle

Alexcle Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Alex D
    hi, I looked for steel rotors for an F12 and I cannot see giro or surface transform making something compatible. what other company's do you recommend and how much should we expect for a shop to switch the rotors and pads out?

last but not least, is there anyway to add brake ducting on a f12?

thank you for reading.

4. SV488

SV488 Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Sesha Varadarajan
    Hi... I regularly track my 488GTB... A car that's pushed well on the track will run through a set of pads in about 3 days (about 220-240 track minutes). I assume when they say 50 brake life he meant the pads..
    The rotors themselves last far longer.. I seem to consume about 10 percent over the same 3 days.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mdrums likes this.
  5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Giro disc has them you may need to give Mike a call.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If you contact Craig at Surface Transforms he can help you. They make discs for the entire 4X8/F8 range as well as the 812 and F12 TDF. You will need to send them a front and rear disc, but other than that, they can do it.

PM me if you want his contact details.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. SV488

SV488 Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Sesha Varadarajan
    Yup... I just converted my 488 to running Girodisks with pads from Cobalt racing... Has good brake feel and no hint of fade running 20min sessions at the track. It is more noisy on the street and I would go with street pads if the use is baised to street.

mdrums likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That's one thing I like about the Surface Transforms discs I have. I can run RSC1 pads on street and RSL1 on track. No fade at over 700c, lightweight, and resurfaceable.

9. SV488

SV488 Rookie

Jun 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    Sesha Varadarajan
    After I saw one of your earlier posts on SST I looked at that as a serious option. On paper it has all the benefits of Carbon ceramics (fade, weight, brake dust reduction) and solves the one problem (consumable cost for track junkies). Just that in the smaller market I live (Portland Oregon) no one was familiar with them plus the practicality of waiting for the rotors to come back (or having a spare set) dissuaded me. I am still considering those for other track car (GT3) and trying to find a onotber shop here.

10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Check out the positive reviews of the SST rotors on Rennlist for your GT3. A couple of my track friends ran them with excellent results. If I was still a track rat and wanted to run carbon ceramic rotors and did a ton of events and had the $ I'd definitely run them.

11. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    I’ve not heard of surface transforms previously, and am getting closer to rotor replacement on my 458. Do folks really get equal or better performance/life out of their significantly lower cost product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes. And it's not that much cheaper. They are just not taxed as Ferrari parts are. If yoy look at it from a net price point, the ST rotors are significantly more expensive. Brembo and Ferrari just carry a huge premium.

It's not a product made in a small shed. They are oem for brands like Mercedes, Koenigsegg etc. It's a real product.

If you look at the price of OE Ferrari discs without dealer markup and the cost for dealer installation, i.e if you bought them from Eurospares, the OE is only 10-15% more than the ST set. The savings lie in the longer disc life, longer pad life, and the fact that they can be resurfaced a few times for MUCH less than the initial purchase cost. But as net price of the materials, production costs and time, they are much more expensive than Brembos.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. MoreGarages413

MoreGarages413 Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Suburban Philadelphia PA
    Full Name:
    Jay B
    Thanks for the comments and the insight. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Surface Transforms has been around and proven. They are not some fly by night product. Many guys running Porsche 997-991 street cars at the track use ST rotors. ST Rotors are not significantly less is purchase price than OEM Brembo rotors. The ST rotor is better built, lasts long and you are able to resurface and that’s were the cost savings is.

Il Co-Pilota and MoreGarages413 like this.
  15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The pads also seem to last longer, although I cannot tell whether it's thanks to different pads (I have Pagid RSC1 now with the ST rotors, and can only compare with the OEM Brembo discs and pads) or thanks to the rotors; but since the ST rotors are apparently less hot it's reasonable to think they are more friendly with the pads.

mdrums likes this.