458 - Trouble installing carbon rear hatch pull on 458 with photos | FerrariChat

458 Trouble installing carbon rear hatch pull on 458 with photos

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Sep 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I bought a carbon rear hatch pull from exotic car gear to replace the stock plastic one on my 458. I was able to remove all parts from the old plastic rear hatch pull except the cable from the large pinion. It is crimped down and I’m not sure how to remove the cable without cutting it, however if I cut it and reinstall it on the new carbon rear hatch pull then the cable will be too short! I attached a photo of the problem area on the original plastic rear hatch pull with the cable crimp.

Any advice is appreciated.

Here are two photos of the cable on the original rear hatch lever:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And here is a photo of my new carbon rear hatch pull that I haven’t yet installed as I can’t get the old one off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Check out to see how that cylinder is held in place. I'm sure the cable supplier to Ferrari would have already had that cylinder with the cable crimped. I would guess a screw on each end. Have a look

3. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The cylinder is held on by two C clips which I removed. Problem is the cylinder can’t be slid out from the two “posts” holding it because the cable goes through the middle of the cylinder.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Well that's a dilemma.

5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hmm... usually there is a slot cut in the back side of the cylinder so you can remove the cable once there is slack in it... Is there an adjuster at the other end of the cable?

6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    It looks like that hex piece isn’t removable. What’s on the other end of the cable? You may have to remove the whole thing and pull the cable out of the sheathing, remove whatever is on the other end, then slide it back into the sheathing and reattach what’s on the other end of the cable.

Does the factory sell that whole piece? How is it sold? With the cable already attached? Maybe call the Ferrari parts dept. and ask them.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. joseph

joseph Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    New Jersey
    Open the engine bonnet loosen the cable in the engine latch.
    Pull out only the cable not protective covering. install the carbon latch insert the cable in proper hole and back to the rear latch not should slide in easily if not wipe it with some wd40 or similar insert the cable.
    install your carbon latch first then pull on the cable snug don't pull hard tighten instal the latch cover and admire your work.

Regular Guy 01 likes this.
  8. ohared

ohared Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2009
  9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Will try this weekend. If all fails I’ll just return the latch to exotic car gear. Hope it works out!!!