Unhappy 612 - Suspension control system failure and engine control failure | FerrariChat

Unhappy 612 - Suspension control system failure and engine control failure

Discussion in '612/599' started by Diny, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    I'm looking for a bit of guidance in troubleshooting this. The car is a 2005 612 with 25k miles. Here we go:

This started just over a week ago when, after driving the car quite a distance on a Friday, found the battery completely drained 2 days later. In summer I drive enough to not have to put it on a battery tender, but the battery being drained in 2 days is the main reason why I have a theory as to what this problem might be. Still, didn't drive the car until a week later (car was left on the battery tender just in case).

Car drove fine to work (a 30 mile trip) and then, on the way back, things started going downhill. On a somewhat bumpy highway, I got the suspension control system failure light. Car didn't feel any different, and I was on my way home already. A few moments later (maybe a minute or two), the engine control system failure warning joined the party. I pulled over and restarted the car just to see if this was a matter of resetting. It wasn't. What I did notice is that the car hesitated to start moving. I'd give it gas and it wouldn't raise revs much. Then it would hook up and chirp the tires. Once the car was moving, there was no bad behavior at all.

Once home, I started with the simple stuff: Checked the battery. It was 6 years old. Figured it's time to change it anyways. Even after resetting the ECU (as per the owner's manual), the suspension control system light would come on soon after starting the car with the engine control system failure being added a few moments later. It's worth noting that after resetting the ECU and starting the car back up, the car would start moving just fine until the suspension control system warning would come on. The behavior (having trouble starting to move) applies in 1st and reverse as well as in manual and automatic modes.

My current hypothesis is that I have a bad relay somewhere that drained the battery quickly and is causing all this. I'm not overly familiar in where to start looking, so any help would be appreciated. I'd like to see if I can tackle this on my own first (especially if it's as simple as a relay or fuse) before taking the car to a shop.

Thanks for the help!

2. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Replace the battery first. Problem may go away.

3. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Sorry for not being clear. I replaced the battery already.

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    You have any means of reading the codes for us?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Only codes I get is P1093 twice (so clearly nothing useful). If I clear the codes, I have a few seconds until the suspension warning comes back and, during that time, the car gets moving no problem. I'll have to bite the bullet and take it to the shop. I couldn't find a parasitic draw, as my test showed only 35 milliamps being drawn when the car was asleep. I'll certainly post updates when I can.

6. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Have you checked for mice or rats eating some of the wiring?

7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    This is a powertrain fault code, so presumably its from the engine ecu; have you/can you scan the suspension module?

8. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Any idea how I can do that?

The thought crossed my mind last night so I set some traps in the garage. The car's not the only one in the garage, so if this is the case then it's clearly a rodent of taste and class!

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    OK, so if you have a running issue and the suspension light is on, then its crucial that you scan the suspension module to see whats going on. The low cost go-to tool for me is the Autel AP200; I bought one for £50 a couple years ago and it gives you lifetime access to all modules for a given manufacture. You can do a bunch of special functions on mainstream cars (sadly none for Ferrari), however it will read and clear codes on every ecu as well as allow you to see the live ecu data.

Either way, you need a tool that can go beyond basic engine ecu scanning to see whats happening on other systems.

Makuono likes this.
  10. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Update: Didn't get anywhere with any scanning tool so I took it to the shop. They're confirming that there's a communication issue between the ECU and the suspension control module. They're going to get wiring schematics to diagnose further.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    In case this helps. Got all the other diagrams if needed. Key thing is that the suspension ecu is on the C-CAN, so it does all its talking over the twisted pair of wires (white and green if I remember correctly) going into the Sachs ecu connector at pins 28 and 28. A simple resistance test between these wires will tell you if there is a break in one of the lines - should be ~60 ohms.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    That's awesome! Thank you so much.

The armchair mechanic in me is leaning towards a wiring issue since this started on a specific stretch of highway that is a bit bumpy. Just to be on the safe side, I set up a few mouse traps in the garage with plenty of peanut butter and they have not caught anything. I've had cars in the garage since I bought the house 7 years ago and never had an issue, but it doesn't hurt to check. Empty mouse traps are a relief, however.

14. Dr_Musab

Dr_Musab Rookie

Oct 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Musab Alrehaili
    i had the same propblem so i replaced the battery it disappeared but it came back again. and i have two fault codes that i couldnt clear U1601 CAN Line error (Bus-Off)
    B1904 LH Side Radiation Sensor
    any idea what are these for?

15. danmano

danmano Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Danny Manoukian
    #15 danmano, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    I am having the exact same issue with my 2007 612.
    @Taz any of your knowledge you can kindly share?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    No, beyond my expertise. Maybe some electrical spray on the relevant connectors. I do not have P-Codes for the 612.

17. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Side radiation sensor sounds like something to do with the auto-headlights or maybe the HVAC. The CAN error is generic, and could be from any module. Can you confirm that these were specifically from a scan of the suspension module?

If so, I can look them up in the diagnostic software for causes/suggested remediation.

18. kb4488

kb4488 Rookie

Jun 7, 2016
    leongatha
    Full Name:
    kim bland
    Good Morning Brogenville,

Is it possible to fit cruise control to a 612 OTO?

There are a couple of really nice 612's for sale in Australia at the moment.

Any advice would be fantastic!- I spoke to you on Youtube- Normal guy supercar...

Thanks.

19. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    My 612 OTO came with cruise control so it can be fitted.

20. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Update: Still unresolved. Tried a new suspension ECU, no difference. Since the error started on a bumpy road, wiring is being checked.

21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Responded by PM .:)

22. powersteer

powersteer Rookie

Sep 13, 2020
    I will love to know too :)

23. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    Car is fixed. It had a combination of 3 different issues:

1) Bad MAF. Had both replaced.
    2) Frayed wires under the passenger side footwell. Fixing these allowed us to address the 3rd issue.
    3) Faulty suspension ECU.

Over 30 hours of diagnosis work trying to figure out what was/wasn't sending signals to what.

24. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Can you upload a photo of the affected frayed wires? Would be great knowledge to share about.

Its quite believable that the frayed wires were the cause of the suspension ecu failure as well.

25. Diny

Diny Karting

Jun 24, 2017
    No pictures, unfortunately.