Unpaid - No Avatar. | FerrariChat

Unpaid - No Avatar.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Coincid, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    All unpaid members will no longer have an avatar. No other car forum has this policy.

jpalmito, mdrums and Hocakes like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Avatars add to the interest of being a member on the forum. This was an arbitrary decision without warning.

Hocakes likes this.
  3. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Coincid likes this.
  4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Simple solution ….. $.

Caeruleus11, jm2, Chizz and 1 other person like this.
  5. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Funny, I don’t think I bother with an avatar on most forums

6. legendd

legendd Karting

Jun 25, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Moshe levy
    I don’t mind paying to use the forum, I just think it’s a weird way of doing things. This forum is alive and make money from advertising because there are members here that are present, posting and making the platform interesting so more people come.

I don’t understand the logic of punishing members for not paying to use the platform.

It’s a bit F*** up

Sorry for my language

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Coincid, mdrums and RayJohns like this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s like $10 bucks a year or something stupid. Just pay guys.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d pay more to see who actually owns an exotic, ie exotic to post ratio.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    **** a lot of avatars just went black and white

10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I think it's a rather poor business decision to punish the very users who contribute and make the forum possible in the first place.

I sincerely doubt anyone is going to join just to have an avatar. However, the negative message removing avatars sends may cause many here to feel like second-class citizens.

It all just comes off feeling rather petty to me.

Ray

11. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    There should have been a general notice however, given the amount of information I have learned here, the enjoyment of seeing other Ferraris, and sharing experiences it is worth spending a small fee to support the site.

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The issue is not the $15 per year fee, it is the lack of respect displayed to long term members who have contributed mightily to the forum and have been responsible for increasing membership and keeping the place vibrant and a source of information and entertainment.

At a minimum, the moderators should have posted an announcement about their intentions to encourage paid membership. Removing avatars, which add to membership experience is not only a petty tactic, it is counter productive as it has the negative consequence of making the forum less interesting.

The moderators should offer an apology for their hasty and ill conceived actions.

ronc52, rhern213, jpalmito and 5 others like this.
  13. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Your assumption that this was a moderator based decision or action is fallacious. This is/was an admin function, cleaning up what has been part of a long standing policy here. Up until the software change to xenforo, only paid subscribers had the option of an avatar. It slipped through when the upgrade occurred, now what, maybe 5+- years ago? Apparently either a software update or some specific switch was flipped that has returned the policy to the original status quo.

BUT, the moderation team had ZERO to do with it.

D

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Whether it was the moderators or some other reason is not the issue. The end result is the crux of the problem.

mdrums likes this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Subscription was required to have an avatar for 17 years. When the software changed over this requirement was missed by the development team and just now corrected.

I understand this change is the end of the world for some unsubscribers, but 1) wasn’t like that for 17 years. 2) not required functionality for nonsubscribers. 3) not fair to our valuable subscribers as always part of their additional benefits. 4) subscription is 4 cents a day and honestly avatars aren’t even top of the value added list.

16. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nope, it is absolutely part of the issue, and that's your doing. You took the shot at moderators without having any factual basis for it, I am simply setting the record straight. We catch enough **** here without non-factual attacks against the team, followed by demands for an apology from them.

Unsubscribed members get a good deal here for free. Lots of info, lots of helpful members sharing it with you. Maybe not having a free avatar is really small potatoes, all things considered?

D

17. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    I don't think that I even bothered with an avatar for the first few years I was subscribed, and I was even an owner, from about the time I joined.

18. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    What does this have to do with the 458 platform? Can we move this topic wherever it belongs?

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have gotten use to my new Avatar. Thanks.

legendd likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Agree. They should move it to the Silver Subscribed section for ongoing discussion. LOL :D

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Love your new avatar! :D

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

It can be yours for the low low price of 4 cents per day. :D

D

Nicolas21 and legendd like this.
  23. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’ve actually been thinking about resubscribing again prior to this avatar stuff. Used to waste too much time in silver subscribed so I stopped...but now I’m retired...:)

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Just makes the place a less appealing place to contribute to. I guess next subscription will be mandatory. You will need a Ferrari Chat vaccination card to be allowed in. Stupid move.

Coincid likes this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Boredom is a powerful stimulus to induge in frivolities.

Viperjoe likes this.