330 GTC - Seatback rubber stops and other small, but important details… | FerrariChat

330 GTC - Seatback rubber stops and other small, but important details…

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by christc, Sep 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear All,

I am posting for a friend of mine whom I came to know about the very active and knowledgeable ferrari community in the US. He is from France and during my holidays in France we met the first time F2F. This shows how our hobby and the love for F cars bring people together. Jean-Paul has an extremely nice 330 Gtc which he wants to improve in little details. Please see his intro below. As I am mostly limited to the GTE world we would appreciate any info on his questions in regard to little 330 Gtc details. Thanks a lot for all your input.

BR
    Christopher

Hello,
    For my 330 GTC where they are all missing, I am looking for 4 seatback rubber stops to be fixed up on the base with pop rivets.
    I can't find them thru usual retailers, either in Europe or USA.
    This is a small grey rubber size circa 40x15x12mm, whose hardness I don't know since I don't have any sample, but logically hard enough to support the pressure of the back seat once in closed position.
    One can see the piece in the Judging notes document of IAC/PFA (page 30).
    Does anybody know where I could get these 4 pieces or, otherwise, give me the exact size and type of hardness so that I could have them manufactured (any potential manufacturer, as well?).
    Thanks,

2. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    My original ones were made from a medium hard plastic, they were in bad shape. I made new ones from black Delrin.

3. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Thanks for the info. We thought that it could be plastic, not rubber. We first wanted to check if they are available, if not we might print them in plastic or cut them out to the right size.

4. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks Jumprun,
    It seems that no retailer sells it, so I will do it. in case if you could give the exact dimensions on your car (with pic) it would be great. Thanks.
    Jean-Paul

5. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    To add to my prevoius msg, I enclose a pic taken from the Judge’s guide where I extrapolated the dimensions based on the hinge width (15mm). if someone could double check these measures on his car, it would great. Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I reviewed your sketch, it is different from what I made, and I am sorry to say I did not have much to go by, see my photo of the remnants I worked from. I am certain my remnants were not conventional rubber, they were brittle and crumbled easily. I am reasonably certain these are original to my car, as it has never been restored and I know nearly all the history.
    The differences from your sketch are that the base thickness is 5mm not 8, and the upturned leg is 5mm thick not 3, and it is standing above about 7mm not 10. The total width of what I made is about 25, not 15.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Thanks a lot Jumprun, it is very instructive. your rubber stops indeed look from origin.
    “My” picture is just taken from the 330GTC Judging guide with no idea of the origin?
    Your measurements and pics are precise and, if no retailer proposes these pieces, I will do it sticking to your data. The only dimension to adapt will be the base thickness because, with the aging of the car, the back seat hook has eroded slightly and I wouldn’t like to have noisy “playing space” when the back is in the upwards position.
    I will just make a wooden moke-up with my router before going to rubber.
    Which probably will be PU or Delrin. It seems that an hardness of 60 ShoreA or slightly more would be adapted for this use.
    Thanks again.
    Jean-Paul

8. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    BTW Jumprun, since you re-made these stops, which material (and hardness in case you know it) did you use and how did you the curved angles? With a router?
    Many thanks,
    Jean-Paul

9. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear Jean-Paul, dear Tom,

based on a more precise measurements we could print a prototype for Jean-Paul to test. Tom, any measures you can add are of help to get it as far as possible to the original dimensions. Once the dimensions are clear it is just the printing time to do more.

BR
    Christopher

10. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Here are the dimensions as far as I can get from the original and from the ones I made many years ago when I first got my car. Note that I marked the hole locations as REFERENCE, this is because I think the existing holes in the seat frame should be checked before drilling the new stops.
    I used standard black Delrin, I don’t know what the hardness is.
    I did not use any power tools, I used a hack saw and hand files. Delrin is very easy to shape. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Note that my drawing projection is USA standard instead of Euro, but It is obvious what the part looks like.

readplays and christc like this.
  11. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    readplays and christc like this.
  12. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Dear Tom, Jim,

thanks a lot.

Jim, what reads the number on top?
    Is it 117 052 10?

Thanks

13. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    That’s how I read it.

readplays likes this.
  14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #14 turbo-joe, Sep 19, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    the sign before the number looks like a star from mercedes benz? but mercedes spare parts have 10 digits or 11 with a letter at first ( if I remember right? )

15. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    readplays likes this.
  16. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This looks right to me. Will post more below.

17. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #17 jcavalie, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    I seem to have all 4 of mine, but all in significant disrepair. I presume they are all original, looking at their condition and the rivets holding them in place. As it turns out, one of them completely came off when I tipped my seat forward to look at it, so I brought the pieces inside and tried to get a decent sketch of the part on 1" x 1" graph paper (1/8" smaller squares).

They are a complex shape and definitely some sort of hard rubber. My guess is they were something like tire rubber when original, and probably a little pliant. Now, they are fairly hard and brittle, but they aren't plastic. They do give a little bit when I press my nail into them, and they flex a bit - though they kept crumbling when I flexed them. Mine also have some white "fluorescence" which scrapes off - like rubber rot. If anyone makes these, I'm interested in a set of 4. :)

Here are probably too many pictures, but hopefully they are useful.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

readplays likes this.
  18. jcavalie

jcavalie Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So.. I googled that part number and quickly found those pieces available from an Alfa site in the UK. Might be worth ordering a set and trying them out. I've also given my pictures to my son who is pretty good with CAD and 3D printing, and he is going to create a model for me and I'll see how they print in hard (but slightly flexible) nylon.

19. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Dear Jumprun (Tom?),
    Thanks a lot for the picture and Alfa sku ref.
    Indeed, I found it close-by in France from an Alfa spares retailer for limited cost and short delivery: quick and easy.
    NB: the 330GTC sometimes looks as an Alfa spider: for example the seat, as a whole, looks very similar to the Alfa spider of that time. Pininfarina guys where practical at that time...
    Of course, I thank Jim and other members for their help on the matter. Hope to pursue our exchanges for other subjects in the future.
    Jean-Paul

20. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    hello everyone - very good thread on the details and the bumpers.

Jim, so far yours is the only one in that design, i asked Clete to assess if this is certain to be an orig design one
    of replacement. On the flat design one that is represented in the "build as is" manual that Clete has developed and published,
    Clete was kind enough to provide me the measurements and i will develop a mold so we can make these out of hard rubber
    for future use etc.

I just completed making the rear view mirror rubber bumper and the door to light switch rubber bumpers which are not reproduced.

Before i finalize the mold for the seat backs, id like to get firm confirmation as to which one is def correct. If the Alfa one is, then no need to make a mold they are avail. (i just ordered a set of 4 from Mr Fiat to evaluate on a GTC).

Any more info welcomed - FWIW, in the past 4-5 GTC restorations we have done, we used the ones that are defined in the "built as Is" manual. We know those pass judging because Clete designed and made them :)

readplays likes this.
  21. paul33

paul33 Karting

Feb 28, 2021
    FRANCE, Aquitaine
    Full Name:
    Jean-Paul
    Hello,
    FYI, I just received the Alfa's stops and mounted them: they fit perfectly both the distance between the 2 holes (25mm) and the 3mm diameter for the pop rivet correspond exactly to the metal structure of the seat itself. Additionally, when looking to the Alfa Duetto seat hinge, it looks very close of the GTC one. Pininfarina used many common pieces : for example boots or levers.
    Hope this may help to determine the real "as built".
    Best,

readplays and fasthound like this.
  22. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    thank you Jean-Paul for the feedback

23. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    I bet the Alfa one is “correct” on some cars but the the tall leg has broken off. Look at Jim Eakins post #11, you can see what appears to be the remnant of another upright leg.
    Maybe cars came with both? My car is a later build, about the 500th one.