Insurance in 2021 for non daily driver cars | FerrariChat

Insurance in 2021 for non daily driver cars

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Jonny Law, Sep 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Can anyone recommend a good insurance for a collection. Thanks.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've been very happy with Chubb. They are quite reasonable on what they classify as "collector" cars. I think my Model T cost, literally, $0 to insure for liability only.

I should add that I have home insurance with them, and daily driver cars as well. I don't know if they would do the collector cars as a one-off, but I'm guessing no. And they aren't cheap for regular stuff.

3. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    If you qualify, you might look into Pure Insurance as this is what my wife and I have.
    They are a top tier company and you need to package your home and auto together for the best rates.
    My wife is our agent / broker and we have access to many companies and they are the best.
    Almost as important as your choice of company, chose a good agent who will go to bat for you when you need them to. I can't say this enough.
    Buying insurance by price alone isn't the best way to shop and you soon find out that cheap isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Best of luck,
    GG

4. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've used the usual's like Hagerty and Grundy with success in the past. Now I have an umbrella policy with a local Farm Bureau agent I trust that covers everything from house to cars to atv's to boats to liability, etc. It works for me and the rates are very reasonable. Might be worth checking out.

dinogt4guy likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just did a direct comparison earlier this year and Grundy/AIG was about 50-60% of what Hagerty was. I have heard that many times the last few years about Hagerty. With multiple cars including dailys I would try AIG Private Client.

ERIC ANDERSON likes this.
  6. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I was going to do Hagerty but their quote was astronomical, $3000 a year for my 360 with a quoted 2-4K miles. I went through Liberty Mutual who has all my other cars and home insurance. For an 04’ 360, 21’ GX460, and a 98’ LS400 I’m at around $2200 for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rob lay likes this.
  7. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    25 years for me with Grundy Worldwide and they have been great!

No mileage limits, glass coverage included, zero deductibles, stated value policy, etc..

All at a much lower premium cost than most insurance companies.

bball16 and rob lay like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    pure is way cheaper than chubb and aig. pure pays right away too if anything happens. they are 50% cheaper than chubb and aig for my houses ,cars, jewelry and umbrella

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Really location dependent. I have Hagerty and pay $3200/yr for 308/360/911 combined. All with stated value, and IIRC 6k miles on the 360, and 1 or 2k on the others. I live outside the Seattle metro area which probably helps.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    you might want to try a Grundy quote, it is $600/yr for a 1997 and before 355, $1,000 for '98+. Once cars hit 25 years it drops about 50%.

11. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have pretty agreed value on all 3 cars.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, I think that is the only thing you should do on collectibles. you can set it with Grundy, I have something over $100k just for the Spider.

13. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I'm paid up till Mar, so will wait until then.

rob lay likes this.
  14. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Send me a PM and I can get you my insurance broker's info. He saves me thousands per year in insurance. I was getting quotes for $8-10k range for my 812SF. Currently paying $3500 a year for $500k in agreed value with unlimited miles. Coverage is well above WA minimum requirements as well. He's an awesome guy and cares a lot about his clients.

15. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting that this just came up. Has anyone heard that our state has stopped the practice of using credit rating as part of insurance pricing? Just got my renewal notice and mine went up by about 25%. Time to start looking around again.

16. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    So I get a quote from Grundy online.

Quote package asks the following questions:
    D. PLEASE ANSWER THE FOLLOWING & EXPLAIN “YES” RESPONSES IN THE REMARKS SECTION. Yes No
    1. Any collector vehicle used for racing or rallying? o x
    2. Any collector vehicle used for driving to and from work or school? o x
    3. Any collector vehicle used for errands, back-up, primary or secondary transportation? o x

Then later it states:
    USE:
    1. My vehicle(s) will be used on a limited basis consistent with the operation of a collectible vehicle such as occasional pleasure drives and club/hobby activities.
    2. My vehicles(s) will not be used frequently for regular driving such as driving to and from work or school, shopping, errands, general transportation, or back-up use.

I sign the application and they agree to coverage, and require the following to be signed
    In consideration of the premium charged, it is hereby understood and agreed that any vehicle
    insured under this policy will be used for hobby purposes and exhibition and will not be used
    primarily
    for general transportation. It will not be used for backup transportation, or for errands,
    except for occasional pleasure use. It will not be driven to work or school or used for business or
    commercial purposes.

A few contradictory statements. Quote said "will not be used frequently". Should I have answered yes to the questions and explained that the use for work/errands would be very infrequently? Then the final doc says "will not be used primarily" but then says "will not be used for/will not be driven to ...."

So I call them up and the rep says 'oh, if you are out for a pleasure drive and stop to eat, or a quick errand (that is not the primary purpose of the drive) then you are ok'. Sure, unless something happens then your (Grundy's) lawyer says "you signed a doc that says 'will not be used'".

17. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Classic insurance company tactics. They're happy to take your money, but when it comes time to make a claim they want you to kick rocks.

I got tired of trying to get decent quotes and understand all the ins and outs of insurance and decided to give a broker a try who came highly recommended. He saves me thousands of dollars per year, lots of time, and is a great resource for insurance. His name is Garrett Hall of Payne West, and he's great to work with. If you want his contact info, just shoot me a PM and I can give you his number and email.

18. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi, I would be interested to speak with Garrett Hall. Aside from collector cars, I have a rare classic boat, now with Hagerty, possibly moving to Grundy......would like to talk with him to see if he has anything to offer in that area....TIA

19. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Send me a message and I can get you his contact info

20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Hey Jim,
    I just switched from state farm to Grundy. I filled the "MVP" short info application on line and I got an email in response and dealt with Samuel Grundy with a quote. I called with some questions on usage about 4 vehicles and home insurance with just 1 million umbrella coverage for me. He said i can put 4k usage annually on each of the 3 recreation vehicles....and even with that going a little over was not a big deal. I didn't get any communication as to what you stated above.....he didn't even ask for the mileage on the cars. I'm saving 3k going with Grundy.

Feel free to PM me and If you have any questions. I'll be glad to share more info.

21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't know I've always heard great things about several of the collector insurance companies paying off including Grundy and Hagerty.

I'm now down to 2 cars and have both with Progressive so am going to look at one of the collector companies for the Maserati. I started a Grundy quote but never finished it, it was ridiculously low at something like $400/year but wasn't at the levels I want or need for coverage.

22. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The initial response I got from Grundy had real low liability/med limits. They said they would match whatever the limits were for my DD's, just had to send them the declarations pg for the DD's. Did that and there was insignificant change to the quote. Had no issue getting the agreed value limits I requested.

Jdubbya likes this.
  23. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Cool, I'm gonna work on it this weekend.

24. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Thanks. I didn't look at the MVP option. Will look at that since I have DD's under two different companies at the moment, and the exotics under another.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I just renewed with Grundy and added my two daily drivers to my policy. I also added my umbrella policy and the daily drivers I put on "agreed value". Even with agreed value set kinda high, I am still saving about $3k overall from using Grundy just for the Ferrari.