Clutch Overheated Message during very easy driving, 2013 458 | FerrariChat

Clutch Overheated Message during very easy driving, 2013 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mtxv14, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mtxv14

mtxv14 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    STL
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi all--
    I've had my car for about 1.5 years now and this is the first hiccup.

Last weekend I did some spirited driving and drove the car home about 25 miles at normal highway cruising speed. All seemed well.

In the morning I went out for gas, and since I just hit 1 tick on my fuel gauge I popped it in wet mode to keep revs down and drove to the gas station about .5 miles away. Upon leaving I popped it back into race mode and almost immediately I got a clutch overheat message. I got it two more times on my short drive home.

The following day I took it out for some minor spirited driving, I didn't hit redline, and it popped up once again. I checked all temperatures at the time and they looked fine.

I purchased the extended warranty so it's heading to the shop next week for yearly service as well as getting that looked at, however I planned on driving it this weekend.

Is that ill-advised? Would disconnecting the battery to let everything clear out be a bad idea?

My initial guess is that it's a sensor given that I didn't smell clutch and there were no other signs of an overheated clutch, FWIW.

Thanks!

daflk likes this.
  2. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    I have it too even on cold start. There are good days where it never happens and bad days where it’s incessant. Just clutch temp sensor, there are no co dependencies. You can just ignore it for now but get it done under warranty as it’s a gearbox out job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    What was the outcome here
    what was the outcome here. My car just did the same to me while cruising home. She was at about 2000rpm in 7th gear. No major load and all temps were fine. It popped up, lasted a few seconds then disappeared. Did it again a few kms later again for a few seconds.

other than that the car is running fine. Driving up the hill on the way home over the pass with the clutch under more load. No error.

4. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    To add here there was no bing or beep. The warning just came and went. When I checked it. Is with my obii scanner no codes were found.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    The OP is another uncourteous forum poster, posts an issue, expects replies and opinions then NEVER updated the thread as to what the final solution / outcome was.

daflk, Ash Patel and Chizz like this.
  6. Mafiaboy1975

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Ok so it’s a faulty sensor. Prognosis is no major problem other than false readings. Car runs fine.

It a fairly inexpensive part by Ferrari standards but does require the box to be opened.

The errors shown are either no signal P1922 or temp too high P2741 per the reading on the stored codes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

RayJohns likes this.