What's For Dinner? | Page 736 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats on the anniversary. I beg of you, pics of that baby in action!

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Had a windstorm come through night before last. So, that means ample pecan wood for the picking on our property. Life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Grilled steaks over a pecan wood fire.

I'm typically a believer that the cut of beef trumps the grade of beef. So, I was dubious when the wife picked up prime top sirloin at Costco because it was on special. I have to say though the missus hit it out of the park. 1.5" per side with a 90 degree flip for good measure. About 10 min indirect. Came out a little closer to medium than medium rare on the edges, medium rare interior. Not as tender as a filet mignon, of course, but much more flavourful.

T

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    They certainly look tasty. Top sirloin has great flavor but can be a bit chewy at times. Went out with friends a month or two ago and that's what I had. Very tasty cut of meat though.

I found a nice little chuck roast so made pot roast yesterday. Threw in an onion, celery, a few carrots, and even treated myself with one small potato. Didn't take any pics but it was tasty. Thickened the gravy up with xanthan gum instead of flour, first time I've tried that. Tasted fine to me.

Tonight it's finish up leftover pizza and the last meatballs.

Raconteur likes this.
  3. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  4. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Brother twisted his knee yesterday and canceled going out. So we didn't make ribs, doing them tonight. Ended up getting sushi with my dad. The bill has gone up by about $18 overall. Inflation is taking off here. Dine in was empty and their take out business wasn't as busy as usual.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It was indeed tasty. I waited a bit longer than I usually do for the wood fire to die down, so it had good char without being overly smoky. It wasn't fork tender, but was not chewy. Maybe closer to a typical strip steak...T

6. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Took my brother to the doctor. Got out of there at around 5pm. Stopped at a park to take Bella for her walk. Didn't cook the ribs, so we got two pizzas from Pizza Hut on the way home.

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    nismodrifter and tomc like this.
  8. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Happy 5-oh! And many many more.

That's a great looking steak and a first-class MIL. Can't ask for more than that!

T

NbyNW, Raconteur and arizonaitalian like this.
  10. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Thanks Tom, appreciate it...Man that 50 sure creeps up fast . ..

11. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Happy birthday............................ 50 is next year for me.

tomc likes this.
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I don't want to scare you, but it goes from a creep to a sprint after 50!

These are the brisket black beans (BBB) I made about a week or two ago. On a fresh cooked tortilla. A few chiltepin peppers for a bit of heat. Those little guys are hot!

T

13. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Happy birthday to a fellow October bday guy.

NbyNW, koisokok and tomc like this.
  14. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    did ribs last night.............. Brother will be over to watch something. Think baseball. We'll make burgers at home. Stealing some of Bella's ground beef.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Taking food from a pee defenseless puppy? ☹️

Whipped up a batch of chili last night.

Seafood udon. Noodles are from Costco. Got a fish head; it was red fish. Sliced two half onions - one yellow, one red. Fish sauce. Cinnamon stick. Two black cardamom pods. Two star anise. A teaspoon of ground ginger, as I didn't have a whole ginger root. About a half dozen black peppercorns.

I used a scissors to remove the bloodier bits like gills and then rinsed. Simmered for about 90 min.

Strained the broth, let it settle for about 5 min and then decanted to get rid of the last solids. Would have used cheesecloth, but didn't have any handy. For the udon, I didn't add anything as I was trying to get a sense of the flavor of the broth. Good flavor, delicate but definitely not too fishy. Not too salty. May try to roast the bones and onions last night to help make a clearer broth. Overall, I think it came out pretty good for a first attempt.

T

NbyNW and max930 like this.
  16. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I buy her the family packs, she can spare some. Hopefully a break in the rain, so I can take her to the park.

tomc likes this.
  17. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Happy 50th! Steak looks great!

And yeah I think Tom may be right about things speeding up after 50. I'm now closer to 60 than 50.

koisokok likes this.
  18. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I wanted something different the other night so made some pork burgers instead of beef. Put garlic, ginger, soy and some bibimbap hot sauce I found a while back in the mix. Cooked 'em up and mixed some of the hot sauce with mayo, topped with some lettuce and cheese. Turned out yummy. This is the sauce, I just saw it in a store somewhere and it sounded good. It is good...

https://www.hosssoss.com/products/bibimbap-hoss-soss

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That looks good! Love Korean flavors, especially gojuchang - nice combo of heat, sweet and umami.

T

20. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Went to our newest neighbors for dinner last night. They are darn good cooks! (And very fine people from NC that moved to WY this year)

only got pics of the last two courses, but the flat bread was fantastic too. Way too much wine and a martini somewhere in there too led to a late morning today :rolleyes:

(that tart was homemade crunchy shortbread base with about an inch of ganache and then topped with ice cream and carmel sauce. It was good, but honestly more sugar than I typically eat in a year…had to finish it in the name of politeness, but a 1/8 size portion would have been better)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW likes this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yikes. I may need to start chatting with our neighbors! Our new neighbors are also from NC. Alas, it's Northern California! I may smoke tofu and bring it over one of these days.

T

22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I can see it now . . .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

23. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Deliver it next door in your big ass truck!

wax likes this.
  24. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  25. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Hey! I drive a truck and live in Nor Cal! Not all of us are tofu eaters!! Cheers!

tomc and NbyNW like this.