GTO 64 - Book by Doug Nye | Page 7 | FerrariChat

GTO 64 - Book by Doug Nye

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Lusso123, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gpiro

gpiro Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2007
    NJ
    LVP488, Rosey, joejackson and 5 others like this.
  2. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Mine arrived yesterday from Cotswold Road & Race.
    Excellent service from them again.

Book looks excellent, my only very minor and personal criticism is the books themselves aren’t numbered, just the accompanying card.

I have numbers 130 & 131, the latter for my son for when he grows up to join the number 31 of the Postcard and Sales Drive from Maranello books.

I did request # 31 but this had already been distributed via another channel so Andy Massen secured 131 for me.

of2worlds and Zeltweg like this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Aren't those other books written by Stern and Beehl though, not Nye ?

4. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Y
    Yes, but the # 31 is the thing…(for my son and me)

Rosey likes this.
  5. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    The third book in that series, La Nascita, credits Doug Nye alongside Nathan Beehl and Ronald Stern as a co-author.

Rosey likes this.
  6. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I have #135/1000
    Nathan

7. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    And what's wrong with that? :)
    Nathan

Natan Tazelaar and Rosey like this.
  8. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in this book at first glance. Quite a lot of photographs have been poorly reproduced in a size way beyond what their resolution comfortably allows. Why, for instance, was it necessary to use the hideously pixelated image that covers page 79 and part of page 78, apparently sourced from the Internet? It is a studio picture of a Series I GTO. Were no others available? My personal preference is also for the picture credits to accompany the photograph rather than be in a separate section in the back.

More positively, the cover and slipcase design are very nice and the text (at first glance only) looks to be up to Doug Nye's usual high standard. It is also a sensible size so you can lift it and read it without needing surgery afterwards.

Buchpilot likes this.
  9. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Horton's sent mine. Should arrive some time next week. Had good luck with DHL in past purchases from Horton's but you never know if the shipping gods frown on me.

10. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I totally agree: The strength of the book lies in the superb writing and the comprehensive in-depth research. One of the chapters I like most is the one dealing with Scaglietti, which mentions the numerous so-far unknown people who actually built the GTOs.

The treatment of many images is mediocre, indeed, especially compared to how Porter Press reproduced images in its GTO publication.

The red cover design of the standard edition as well as the craftsmanship of the leather livery of the Uber edition are splendid.

Zeltweg likes this.
  11. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Number 161 arrived four days early, well packaged and protected. Thanks to Horton's and DHL. It's white cotton glove time now.

Buchpilot and Rosey like this.
  12. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has some white cotton gloves. I know when I use them my wife thinks I'm very peculiar. But for cloth covered books, it stops finger oil marks appearing

SmokyDave, Buchpilot, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  13. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    The reason we chose buckram for the Miura book slipcases. Cloth is really nice and has more colours (like bright green) but marks very easily. Brown cover Konradsheim 2.7 RS book is a bad one. I'm not sure how you can get marks off. I think I am getting my copy tomorrow.

Buchpilot, Lusso123, Zeltweg and 2 others like this.
  14. bloomberg

bloomberg Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2011
    Buckram is far better than cloth. Leather is best. Alcantara is no good, in fact a cheap industrial product usually sold expensively.

15. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    Not being an expert in book coverings, but I've noticed that Palawan books now are buckram. Is that material also less likely to suffer sun damage?

Still, many books still use cloth, which I think is not the best choice as keeping even the dust off them is a challenge.

With al that said though, I do think the design of the covers is excellent on the GTO 64 book

Buchpilot and Rosey like this.
  16. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    First impressions after a slow page through: Slipcase and covers unmarked; no printing issues such as smears or color photos sticking; well laid out with easy to read double-spaced text; overall photo quality is excellent with some truly astonishing; a few smaller portrait photos not so good but the subjects were relatively (to me anyway) obscure with perhaps few other sources; my initial overall impressions are very positive. This was an expensive book for me but I am glad I pulled the trigger. Will be keeping it in the publisher's box since it won't fit in my old glassed in lawyers' bookcases.

Buchpilot and Nembo1777 like this.
  17. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #167 Rosey, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    I got the gloves idea from Opus when they included a set of white gloves with the book, then I went to the supermarket and bought a few more pairs.

One of the worst book coverings is a black low sheen finish, like Ferrari Engines by Haynes.

If you've eaten potatoes chips in the last 24 hours it will show up with fingermarks on the cover. :(

jm2, wrxmike, SmokyDave and 3 others like this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Today I got the #330 card and box - there was also an unnumbered book with them ;)
    The book arrived in perfect shape, the book was in a numbered box (which I suspect was the packaging from the publisher) and this box was in another box prepared by the bookshop (Motors Mania from France).
    I still need to read it...

of2worlds and Zeltweg like this.
  19. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    #250 arrived today, perfect packaging from Motors Mania. Book looks impressive. Hours of reading fun ahead.

Zeltweg, 375+ and of2worlds like this.
  20. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Other then numbers 1 and 64 I think you got the next best number.

Buchpilot, Lusso123, LVP488 and 4 others like this.
  21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    #171 Rosey, Oct 14, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Did you want to start making a registry list of numbers and owners.

Yet to physically receive it but you can add me as book #120/1,000.

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    May I add; the photo captions text is awful; too small and light grey on the white paper. A victory for design over practicality!
    Nathan

Buchpilot likes this.
  23. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    It becomes a bit embarrassing to receive books from which book(s) and/or slipcase have some dirt marks. The red slip case of the GTO 64 book (#375/1000) has a black spot (ink, grease, …?). Librairie Motors Mania has been so kind to replace the slip case of the 250 GTO books (Porter Press), hopefully I can count on the same service. Any advice to possibly remove it, is welcome.
    Frank M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I think we've discussed this before. Why do publishers persist in doing this? To me it isn’t even a positive design element. I guess the idea is that the photograph has higher contrast if the caption is in a lighter ink.

I pay a lot of money for something I expect to be easily readable. Why intentionally make it difficult for me to do so? Has anybody ever purchased a book because it has light grey print? “Oh, look! It has that difficult to read print. That’s for me!” These days, how many of us even see the pages before we buy a book?

Presumably in GTO64 this applies only to photo captioning as Nathan has stated, and that the main text is in unfashionable black ink to satisfy us old gits.;)

375+, Rosey, Buchpilot and 3 others like this.
  25. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes the main text is in black ink. I think the intention is to differentiate the photo captions from the main body text. I suspect part of the reason for this kind of thing is that the layout will be done on computer which will have a different contrast to the final printed volume. I don't know enough to know at what point there is an actual properly printed proof copy and how much latitude there is to change things at that point. Having said which, an experienced book designer ought to know enough to judge text colours that work (and photo resolutions for that matter).

piloti, gt4me and Jack-the-lad like this.