F8 vs. 296GTB | FerrariChat

F8 vs. 296GTB

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by esabet, Oct 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Since I am new to this forum, first I would like to say hello to everyone. :)

I like to know if you had the opportunity to place an order for a new F8 or the new 296 GTB, which would you order and why?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Welcome - if you order a 296 today you might not see it for at least two years whereas it is believed the order book for the F8 closed this past weekend - what will you drive meanwhile ?

paulchua likes this.
  3. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Meanwhile I am thinking to pick up a Roma (I know, a world of difference...LOL). But assuming I can get my foot in the door and have the option to order either the F8 or the new 296, which would you recommend?

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

F8 book is closed. Secondary market only and the prices are MSRP ++++. 296 is a hybrid V6 ….. ugh!

paulchua and Thecadster like this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

What’s the issue, aside mental, with 6 cylinders ? The 911’s are awesome and have 6cylidners, the dino is great with 6, the Jaguar XJ220 had 6.
    I get personal preferences, sound , collector etc…but objectively ?
    If the 296 revs higher and is faster than f8 then it becomes all subjective no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Eddie v

Eddie v Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Utah
    Both are wonderful choices, IMO. I’m not one to care much how many cylinders a car has. If it sounds and looks and drives such that it makes me smile and brings me joy, I’m happy with it.

Having said that, I had an F8 on order but switched last minute to the 296 just a couple days after it’s debut. I love the F8 but switched because I wasn’t in love with the sound. Would really have to mod the exhaust to be happy with it - just my opinion. Ferrari has said the stock sound of the 296 will be better - calling it the “little V12” but who really knows since we can’t hear it IRL yet.

My choice was a little easier since I already have a Pista with the most unreal IPE exhaust that absolutely screams. Seemed a little redundant to have a Pista and an F8. It may be a while until I get the 296 but I have other cars to enjoy in the meantime and I hoping it’s worth the wait.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, 020147 and Viperjoe like this.
  7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

All valid points, however, the reported performance specs on the 296 are nearly identical to the F8 despite having an additional 100 hp (approx.). Why? Probably due to the additional weight. If the sound is improved over the F8, that is indeed a big deal; almost no one says that the F8's exhaust note is acceptable. Looks wise and subjectively speaking, the F8 is a sparkling example of what a modern supercar should look like - aggressive yet neither over nor under-cooked. IMO, the perfect evolution of the 458>488. So for me at least, I'm more than thrilled with my decision to order an F8 (currently status 30 or thereabout) and have no interest whatsoever in a 296. I feel the 296's styling is a step backward, and yes the V6 hybrid isn't even close to tugging on my heartstrings.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It was written by @Viperjoe as "296 is a hybrid V6 ….. ugh!"

The hybrid part is much worse the than the V6 part, but, a V6 with "hot placement" on top is going to cause problems, already have seen videos where the heat shielding is deforming, and Ferrari has never made a 120degree V6 with the hot placement turbos, so that's all new.

But, again, the hybrid part is the worst aspect of all, from extra weight to unreliability to massive post-warranty repair costs...

Art138 and Thecadster like this.
  9. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Thank you all for your feedbacks. There good arguments for both but I feel there is a tilt towards F8 especially if it wasn't for the note on the exhaust.

JTSE30, your comments are most concerning to me especially when it comes to considering the resale value of a 296 GTB on a "pre-owned" market. If your comments do come to be true and the 296 turns out to be problematic, on investment stand point of view, it will not do well at all. Investment wise, it sounds like if someone could still pickup a F8 at MSRP, it will do much better than the new 296 GTB.

10. Eddie v

Eddie v Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Utah
    My advice …….. don’t ever think of any car as an investment - even a Ferrari. Excepting only the halo cars they all depreciate eventually. Weird times that we are in with used car prices of all kinds through the proverbial roof. Not sure how long it will last but certainly not forever. Buy the car that speaks to you most from a design, sound and driving perspective. If you’re constantly worried about how much you can sell it for every day you have it, you won’t enjoy it like it deserves. Anyone can make guesses about what will or won’t happen in a certain market but fact is, nobody really knows. The 296 could be a total maintenance bomb but also could command prices like the f8 is doing now - who knows. I’m getting it because it speaks to me personally a little more than the f8. I don’t really care which way the market goes on it. I think it will be a joy to drive and put a smile on my face.

Caeruleus11, 350MH83, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  11. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    I truly appreciate your comments and could not agree more. Yes, we are in crazy times and I strongly doubt that it will last much longer. I never saw a "car" as an investment and truly never understood the notion "you can't put too much millage on it" . A car is to be driven and enjoy, PERIOD! But sometimes, even the best of us, gets tangled in the hype till someone like yourself shakes you up and shows you the light! So "thank you". On that note, and after having done more research on the 296 itself, I think I am going to take the leap of faith and go for it. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but, Eddie, what options on the 296 would you recommend (the "must haves" :))!

ryalex likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome!

Your question is akin to asking what would I like better? Lobster or Steak?

Only *you* can answer that question, my friend. First of all by driving both (i.e. eating both, then your stomach will tell you the answer you seek.)

After some time with either, one will speak ever so louder to your heart. That is the one. If in the rare circumstance you find them equally appealing, then simply go with F8 since it will be cheaper/faster to get.

As for the Roma, I sense by your posts you see it as compromising. I agree, if your heart is set on the F8/296 - don't marry the person you like 'second-best.'

Marry 'the one.'

Hope this helps.

Caeruleus11 and esabet like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @esabet

In terms of options, you are using my Lobster/Steak analogy - again - up to you! Some folks like certain accouterments to their dishes, others like it plain. If you do plan to get the 296, you can customize it any way you like. That's part of the fun!! If you require something exacting, that makes your choice even easier - 296, since the order books for the F8 are done.

Again, a warm welcome to you!

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    As noted, you can only order Roma, Portofino M, 296 GTB and SF90 (coupe or spider) right now. You could buy someone's position for an F8 but AFAIK dealers are oversubscribed and some deposits won't even get theirs.

That said, congratulations on the 296 spot! If you haven't already, download the MyFerrari app and within a few days you should see the car profile there as "Waitlist".

15. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Thank you for your reply. I understand your comments completely and must agree. Since this would be my first order, I thought some mental help of what options are a "must have" would give me some guidance. But again I can see your point that the options are very personal and perhaps none are really a must have.

You sensed my situation correctly. I do like the Roma but my ultimate goal is the 296 GTB (or the F8 which now seems clearly not a vital option). Since it will take one to two years to receive the 296, I am picking up the Roma to get my foot into the door, place the order for the 296 GTB and when the order is here, trade in the Roma for the 296 GTB.

Caeruleus11 and paulchua like this.
  16. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Haven't placed the order yet, hopefully sometime this week. Trying to learn as much as i can before i place the order. As soon as I place the order (which is likely to be simultaneous to when I am picking up the Roma), I will definitely download the MyFerrari APP and check it out - can't wait! :) Thanks for the help.

ryalex likes this.
  17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not sure dealers are taking anymore F8 orders.

So its the wait list for a hybrid or buy a low mileage used car

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Makes sense!!! Look forward to hearing your experiences in the Roma and 296 forums. Again, a hearty welcome!

esabet likes this.
  19. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    I started being in the pre-owned market, but the pre-owned market is so ridiculous that ordering a new model and waiting couple of years seems to be most sensible thing to do. The wait will be hard but the end result will be that much more exciting! :)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. Eddie v

Eddie v Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Utah
    The 296 is a great choice and I think you’ll be happy with it. I too am on the waiting list. There is NOTHING like speccing your own Ferrari! So hard to find a used one EXACTLY like you would have ordered and you almost always have to compromise on something.

Agree with others that everyone’s tastes are different but I really enjoy hearing from others when I’m ordering new so I’ll list my “must haves” because it’s fun to hear others’ opinions. I’ll also give you my “must have nots” which are of course equally subjective.

Must haves:

1 Shields - I know some feel like some cars look better without them but to me it’s just too weird to see a Ferrari without them - like seeing a leopard without spots.

2 CF steering wheel with LEDs

3 Carbon race seats - just as comfy to my arse as the regular seats but look so much more racey and just fit the aesthetic of the car. It’s a race car! - it deserves race seats (I would change my mind here on a GT car but any mid rear engine car deserves race seats)

4 Horse stitched in headrest

5 Interior contrasting stitching on seats and dash - Ferrari does such a nice job with their leather and stitching work and it really does the car justice to be able to see the stitch work rather than choosing a color that just blends into the leather/alcantara.

6 Painted center stripe on steering wheel - just a personal thing - makes the car feel more racey, again, and I just love it. I’ve done Rosso and tricolor red/white/green and with my 296 I’m doing yellow because it fits best with the rest of my spec.

Must have nots

1 Apple car play - this is a ridiculously expensive option - if we keep ordering it they’ll keep charging 4K+. I’m holding out and hoping that enough others do too that Ferrari will realize that this comes free with every Honda and Toyota and they’ll give in and join the rest of the car world - I’m not holding my breath tho.

2 Any exterior CF that’s close to the ground. Rear diffuser, front lip, side skirts etc. invariably get nicked up, even with the front lift, and it’s 10x the cost to replace over OEM plastic. Not worth it for me.

3 Upgraded sound system - I find the base system sufficient for the very occasional times I use it. To me, the sound of a car is just as important and the look and driving feel and 99% of my seat time is spent with the windows down to listen to the howl of the engine.

Happy speccing! You’re going to love it.

21. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    Thank you for taking the time and the detailed reply. MUCH appreciated. Your post was truly helpful. Given your explanations (as opposed to a list) It helped reinforce in what I was considering and what i was NOT considering. You may have in fact saved me a few thousand dollars.

I love a GREAT sound system in any car and always pay the premium. But this is my very first Ferrari order and if the "base" sound system is good enough then why upgrade. I was also debating on Apple Car play but I can understand your point and as long as there is Bluetooth connectivity, it is not a tragedy not to have it.

As for the exterior CF, you may have also convinced me not to get it. What about the Engine Covers? Would you recommend getting the CF? I personally thought that makes no sense!

BTW, I have been playing around with the Ferrari Configurator on my PC. Am I correct to assume that not all customization options are available through that site? For example, I did not see the option for the center stripe on the steering wheel (BTW, I love that look as well :)).

paulchua likes this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes it’s not all available. Dealer has way more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esabet likes this.
  23. Eddie v

Eddie v Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Utah
    For every 1 option in the online configurator, the dealer has 10 - no kidding. I’ve only ever considered cf engine covers with a car that has no red otherwise. For example, I bought a 488 once that was Nero ds with yellow calipers over Nero racing seats with yellow stripes, a yellow tach, etc - you get the idea. I always thought the red intakes looked out of place on an otherwise black and yellow car. Since the 296 has aluminum looking intakes that won’t be an issue so although my 296 on order is black, I passed on the cf intakes.

I’ll gladly take 10% of what you save!!

esabet likes this.
  24. esabet

esabet Rookie

Oct 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Emil Sabet
    I can see that this is going to be fun. Sometimes the less options you have the better it is.....;)

Once again thank you for your input. Since I am trying to stay within 350-360 budget, I think I have to make my selections very wisely. Based on what I have been reading on this forum the options can add up VERY quickly.

I am going to the dealer tomorrow to pickup the Roma and start discussing the ordering process. Will keep you posted. :)

25. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Hello.

I don't believe anyone can still pick up a F8 at MSRP.

Joe

Natkingcolebasket69, JTSE30 and Drson like this.