The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 16 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Haha, oh man… just went over to rennlist to check it out. It is an absolute blood bath, you were right.

Some anecdotes:
    —————
    Just a few weeks ago, I finally encountered a red C8 on the road for the first time . Damn that took a long time!

But Man-o-man..
    The exhaust note was absolute crap. Here's to hoping that gets fixed by the aftermarket (Fabspeed, whomever).
    There's a whole army of Mustang GT's/Shelby GT350's/Shelby GT500's and Challengers/Chargers/Hellcats/Demons that sound far superior.
    It just sounds weird. Not right at all.

And the view of the car from the rear quarter panel is hideous.
    I've heard of more than a few C8 owners dumping the car already just because of the way it looks from the back end.
    Especially when the self admiring glance over the shoulder when walking away from the car in the parking lot, leaves a nagging WTF stewing in the back of their brains.

The new Lambo's have smoothed out their body lines ever so slightly, making the Gen1 C8 already look kind of dated. All those jagged angles are SO yesterday.
    The poor C8 is like an awkward high school girl that desperately wants to hang with the cool hot chicks ..but just can't keep up.

I am pleased that there hasn't been any bad news about the Tremec DCT transmission. Fingers crossed it stays that way.
    ———-

Since I live close to Palm Springs I’ve seen a lot of them in the wild and just they just don’t seem to be aging well and look dated already. Over sized rear ended makes her look fat, the interior is just way too manny buttons and passenger side it very uncomfortable. They already just look like another corvette and just doesn’t seem that special. Only old guys driving them around here, kinda the swan song retirement car for the average joe. Chevy is way behind in just about every segment they are in, shoot they haven’t been relevant in any capacity for years, no Ford Raptor competition? Just a bunch of old white dudes who watch nascar and used to have mullets are designing vehicles over there. Seriously what does Chevy do well besides a LS motor that goes into other cars? No much of a performance devision to speak of....
    ————
    Even if it wasn't ugly (and getting uglier by the minute) the C8 wouldn't enter the top 30 cars (used or new) that could potentially replace my 996 GT3 or 987 Boxster. The reviews (heavy, quiet, comfy, dull brakes, understeer, "daily supercar") only confirm that estimate. Same for the 992. I'll take a 5 series or E class for that, thx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xfrgtr likes this.
  2. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    https://www.autoevolution.com/news/c8-corvette-problems-range-from-uneven-stitching-to-leaky-transmission-142637.html

The C8 Corvette may cost $59,995 including destination charge, but it’s almost impossible to find such a car on the lot because most dealers stocked up on the 2LT and 3LT trim levels. At that price point and even higher, it appears that Chevrolet can’t stitch the dashboard evenly.

Uploaded on the Corvette Forum, the first three pictures in the gallery need no explaining. A brand-spanking-new sports car shouldn’t feature wavy stitching in such an obvious part of the dashboard, let alone other problems such as the “passenger window going up and down by itself while driving.”

A different owner has spotted “small dots in the paint” after washing his car, and someone with the same issue has managed to correct the dots with a polishing compound and a microfiber cloth. The thread keeps on going, and complaints include a transmission leak as well as a “self-blowing horn.”
    The worst story in the thread, however, is that of a 32-mile Corvette with a leaky transmission that’s setting a diagnostic trouble code for the limited-slip differential’s fluid pressure. What’s most curious about this particular example of the breed is that it’s been “driven conservatively,” not raced. Those are the words of the dealer technician who’s replacing the dual-clutch tranny.

To those issues, we can also highlight one of the problems that Chevy Dude has reported with his Stingray Z51. To make a long story short, the car locks itself even with the key fob in the cabin. Because of this – let’s call it a feature – the YouTube vlogger got locked out of a pre-delivery inspection car at the Chevrolet dealership where he works as well as his own car. Oh, and let's not forget that guy who found out that a screw is gouging the door paint.
    When all is said and done, it’s not exactly recommended to buy a car in the first model year of production. General Motors also has a long history of quality control issues, so yeah, it's hardly a surprise that the C8 Corvette has its fair share of problems. Here's hope 2021 will be a better year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #378 jimmyb, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    That's nice. A bunch of old white guys that drive Porsches throwing shade at a bunch of old white guys that drive Corvettes. And when the C8 Z06 proves faster than the 992 GT3, the rennlist boys will trot out the time honored excuse, stolen from Ferrari guys:
    "Porsches aren't about numbers"

PS. It is rather humorous that Porsche guys have the nerve to speak of "quality", I guess they have short memories regarding GT3 engine replacement, IMS, etc. So, some of the early C8's had some crooked stitching...
    "Sure, my car caught on fire, but the dash stitching was great...until it burned up."

Plife, turbokraft, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  4. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #379 jimmyb, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Hmmm....They are producing 2022 C8's now, I guess you missed the 2021 MY.
    The wait for a C8 now is running 12-14 months, so NO dealers "stocked up on 2LT/3LT trim levels". What is being SOLD is what was ORDERED...by the customer. I would think you would know that...rather than just regurgitating stuff from the C7 intro 7 years ago.
    As far as "Chevy Dude" and since you're using Corvette Forum as a source, do a search on him on CF... Let us know what you find out about "Chevy Dude". You should pick better references.

PS. There's 40,000 C8's on the road now. It's impressive that all you dragged out was rare EARLY quality issues from 2 years ago. GM is no different from any other car company when coming out with a totally new product.

LARRYH, Coincid and Wikdstrate like this.
  5. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahahaha!

This thread is hilarious! C8 is fine. Porsche is fine. Ferrari is fine.

All different for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Excuse me, but could you please be so kind to share with all of us, what being white have to do with anything? Why does race matter all of a sudden? Are we less entitled to our opinions than blacks?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AtomicPunk88 and Gh21631 like this.
  7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Moderators are going to intervene here. The only issues of black and white on this forum is the color of the car's paint.

AD211 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Precisely.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Ferrari congnitive dissonance avoider should be very hesitant to throw stones at the workmanship of a $60K Corvette. Sticky buttons, poor paint finish, batteries that still cannot hold a charge after being idle for a few days etc. etc. on cars that sell for 6 x the price of a Corvette.

PA Wolfpacker, jimmyb and VAF84 like this.
  10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^
    It's the "feeling", you know;)
    And for 6 times the price of a C8, you get "feeling". Along with the previously noted poor paint, batteries with the life span of a fly hanging out in the Raid factory, and sticky buttons...etc...

turbokraft likes this.
  11. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I guess it can’t be helped. Haters gonna hate.

I’ve never owned a corvette but have driven many. I have a friend who has a huge collection. A total corvette freak. Loves them despite their flaws. I think they are cool and like them fine. I love my Ferraris even though they are new. Love them despite their flaws.

We both like Porsches too. And old trucks and Jeeps. He recently bought a manual 430. Thinks it is a hoot.

Weird, we have never insulted each other over what we like. I guess we missed the memo that we can’t be friends because - uh, - I guess because we don’t enjoy the exact same things.

I’ll tell him next time we visit that we are not allowed to appreciate differences anymore.

:/

G8TD, dpw98, 430jm and 2 others like this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    at 0:15 sec, 3rd gear, 8,500 rpm redline = 100 mph :cool: :)

[​IMG]

13. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Holy **** does it ever sound like a 458....they replicated the sound more than I thought. Yikes.

VAF84 and italiafan like this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Old jeeps, eh? Tell me more.:) Love old jeeps like the M715 etc.

15. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Back when I got my 1997 corvette it came with a VHS tape (imagine that) that talked about how corvettes are manufactured in their own factory in Bowling Green, Kentucky. They undergo a level of care and testing unlike any other GM car. I remember watching that and thinking that the corvette is a step above all other GM cars, even cadillac. I am not sure if that is still the case. I drove that car cross country for hours and never had an issue. Same with my next corvette, a 1999. Last weekend we drove our F8 up into Vermont to check out the fall foliage. Happened to park in the middle of a corvette club of western Massachusetts gathering. There were probably 20 corvettes there. It was fun to park right in the middle of them all. :)

italiafan likes this.
  16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Exactly. Different strokes for different folks. True car enthusiasts can point out the good and bad in every Brand. None of those Brands are immune to certain quirks if you will. I recently drove a friend's C8 and IMHO it's the best bang for the buck out there. Actually they should have priced it higher to decrease production and allow interested parties to get one. I for one am not a Corvette buyer at this moment but I appreciate the level Chevrolet has achieved at that price point. I've been a Ferrari and Porsche guy for years but tell me again why does Ferrari charge $5K for Apple CarPlay? I guess some of us hate money :)

VAF84, Boomhauer and jumpinjohn like this.
  17. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
  18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    White and Old. A twofer of stereotypes!

19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Well. Old trucks. Our Jeep is modern.

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    That’s fantastic!

My wife, BTW, does NOT like the C8. To angular, she says, proportions off, she says. Definitely prefers the C7. And says the F8 is better looking. To be fair, however, she also doesn’t like the F8. In fact she thinks all rest/mid engine cars look awkward, except the Cayman/Boxter. We are a house divided…

VAF84, Solid State and stretchgeneral like this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    A prime example why I don't want one....with as many stops and starts the industry has had in the past 18 months and there are already 40,000 on the street.

I own one of 4,038 '05-'06 Ford GTs and sometimes I think that is too many. My other car has a production of 142....so obviously have never seen another one on the road :)

Thecadster and Divexxtreme like this.
  22. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Here in Virginia I see at least 8-10 new C8 corvettes everyday. I typically go 2-3 months before ever seeing another Ferrari of any kind on the street, and I’m literally 15 minutes from a Ferrari dealer.

The popularization of the C8 is such a turn off.

Divexxtreme and AD211 like this.
  23. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Seriously, they even copied the 458 sound. Just unbelievable and serves to validate they’ve destroyed every last shred of real corvette DNA attributable to the brand.

You succeeded in copying the sound of an Italian supercar, congratulations Chevrolet. Corvette already had its own DNA…it’s not like Corvette
    will sell any more or any less cars by copying Ferrari, and from a business case, it makes zero sense. Why would they not stick with the sound of a throaty V8 that Corvette is known for?

The C8 is not even a Corvette. It abdicates everything that made Corvette a wonderful marquee for the last 50 years.

24. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    So...if they only made 4,000 C8's you would want one? What if they made 40,000 '05-'06 Ford GT's? Would the Ford GT then be undesirable?

I've never understood disregarding something just because there's a lot of it. There's a lot of rainbow sherbet in the world and I still think it's fantastic. There's also a lot of hot blondes in the world, are they less desirable compared to red heads because red heads are more scarce? :rolleyes:

Boomhauer, VAF84 and soulsea like this.