Identify this RHD 250 GTE? | FerrariChat

Identify this RHD 250 GTE?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fiatosca, Oct 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Found these shots in my father's library. I'm fairly certain this is the second RHD GTE he imported to the US in the 1970s (the ex-Peter Sellers 3481GT being the first). I recall the car had racing seats installed at the time and my father later repainted it white before selling. My dad rarely saved the serial numbers of the Ferraris he owned so I'm wondering if it can be identified by the UK plates 5 UPB.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fennicus, 375+ and Aardy like this.
  2. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Good morning.

It is #2287, originally red/black.

3. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Thanks Mark. Any idea if it still exists?

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    Sorry, no idea.

5. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    Try the 250GTE registry for more info on existence and ownership. Fchat member epdowd (aka Tom Wilson) is the man. Tom might chime in anyway.

6. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Bob - The last record we have of this car is when your father had it in 1996. After that, nothing. I believe it was imported into the US in 1987 after having at least two owners in England.. It was originally Rosa Corsa MM10593 on Nero 8500 when it was sold through Maranello Consessionaires. I have a note from a past curator of the GTE Registry which says "White?". Do you remember if your father had it repainted?

7. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Oops! Forgot to reread your post where it says he painted it white! I will remove the question mark from the Register.

8. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I think that date refers to Len Miller's (GTE Register) Annual of 1996, where he listed R.B. as LKO = last known owner, information coming from FML Archives (Gerald Roush). I understand that R.B. owned the car briefly in 1970s, but OP will most certainly correct if I got it wrong.

Foreign Cars Italia (Steve Barney) was offered 2287GT as a repo in OH in 1992, but it is not known who owned it at that time.

fiatosca likes this.
  9. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Hi Tom

My father imported it in the mid '70s actually. I know he purchased it very soon after selling 3481GT so I'd say 1975. He painted it white and sold within a year or two. I also think he purchased if from the same dealer as 3481 which I believe was The Halfway Garage in the UK.

Incidentally "RB" would have been my father Raymond Boniface

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The late John Gould, Fchatter johnGTC, remembered Duncan Hamilton having the car. See his post here.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  11. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Fascinating as we had no idea it had such provenance at the time. I guess the fact that a racing driver owned the car might explain the racing seats and harnesses that were in the car when my father bought it.

miurasv likes this.