Plexi Nose Headlights | FerrariChat

Plexi Nose Headlights

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by dgunn365, Nov 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    I am looking for a little help with our conversion of Daytona 12699 back to its original plexi nose configuration.
    In searching though the "Official Daytona Pics' thread I have not found a close up of how the headlights are mounted in the body. I know several well established restorers have handled the early cars; perhaps even doing a conversion to the pop up headlight configuration. I an hoping that Timo, Gary or perhaps Marcel can find some photos of the headlight area as the restoration progressed. Help from anyone will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    possibly find a scaglietti body book/manual. very detailed.

3. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Interesting; the manual readily available has pop up headlights.
    Have you seen one that has the plexi headlight cover?
    Thanks

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Like this
    PM sent

5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    In the link here the Owners' Manual shows Plexiglass 365 GTB/4 #12481. Scroll through the pages.

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #6 miurasv, Nov 6, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    Click on Headlight Page Links:

Page 6.

Page 118.

Page 119.

7. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    miurasv, thank you for the response. We do not yet have an owners manual for the early cars so this is a help in a couple of ways.

miurasv likes this.
  8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    David, if consultation from Howard or restorers* doesn’t provide enough information, you might try reaching out to other current owners of plexi nose cars to see if they can offer advise/assistance or access to view the detailed construction of (headlight) support structures.

*I’ve never worked on a plexi car myself, but if I had, I’d probably have hundreds or more photos of all their construction details.
    Kind of like I do of everything else I’ve worked on in past 30-40 years.
    Heck, I took somewhere between 15000-20000 photos of my last Daytona restoration alone.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... and like with most other restorations I've done, vast majority were taken to document details not accessible to see in assembled car or components.

P.S. Previously suggested Scaglietti parts manual for the coachwork can be useful for identifying various (but far from all) structural parts, their OEM part number and quantity, the drawings in it are merely "suggestive" and not really helpful for actual construction reference of the car or listed items themselves.

10. dgunn365

dgunn365 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    New London, NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Hi Timo, Understand your situation. The good news is that Howard forwarded three good photos that will get us started. He is willing to take more if we need them. (Proving the value of this site!)
    Back in the day(!) when I did 12467 I took close to 500 poleroids; such was they technology then. And, they worked at putting the pieces back together.
    Thanks
    PS I am about to start another thread to try to get some background on the Daytona's two different door latch systems.