Taycan. Owners only. Thoughts? | FerrariChat

Taycan. Owners only. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by drjohngober, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    My everyday car varies between a new Escalade and a Huracan Spyder depending on the weather. I am trying to embrace the EV movement but some aspects do make sense.
    I drove a Taycan last week and my initial impression was that it was very "sterile"- suspension and cabin sound almost too quiet.
    I would like to hear the opinion of owners and their thoughts.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    <crickets>

For what it's worth, I think the real comparison is with a Tesla. An EV is always going to be too quiet if you find a Huracan suits your tastes.

I will defer to owners. Our local Porsche dealer can't even keep them on the lot long enough for a test drive, so good luck.

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interested in opinions as well…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not an owner but drove a base one for 15mns in Connecticut. It's very nice to drive. But does not bring any emotions. I really felt like a passenger. Which i guess is more and more the point. It's a beautiful car for sure, love how it looks but im just not there where i want that sort of quietness.

If Porsche made a V8 version, it would be an amazing machine.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Not an owner either, but I test drove a 'Turbo' version. I thought it was a blast to drive. Thought it had great feel and handled really well. Everyone seems to equate noise with 'soul' but ignore that most new cars have faked engine / exhaust notes.

Ended up not getting one because there wasn't enough space inside for the family. It seemed to have alot less passenger and cargo space compared to a similarly sized Tesla (it's only 2" shorter than a Model S).

Panamera?

6. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The Panemera just does not look nearly as beautiful as the Taycan. The 2nd gen improved a lot but still not a pretty car whereas the Taycan is almost gorgeous. Certainly one of the best 4 doors ever in the looks department.

7. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    SportTurismo- fixes the lines, more practical to boot…
    I drove a Taycan (before buying the SportTurismo)- liked it, but too small, back seats were worthless. When my dealer gets the SportTurismo Taycan demo- I’ll go take another look.

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I do love the turismo indeed. Still the Taycan is in a class of its own.

9. Infant

Infant Karting

Dec 23, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    René
    Had a Tesla P85d when it came out. "Undid" the purchase 2 weeks later. Coming from Porsche, Audi, BMW etc. cars and getting into a Tesla was (at least at that time) a huge downgrade for anything but the straight line acceleration.

Had a Taycan 4S in 2020 and part of this year. Traded it in because we moved from The Netherlands (with a terrific EV infrastructure) to Spain (without any EV infrastructure to speak of).

My thoughts, in short:

• Fast but not 'sensational'. That is mostly due to the missing sound, I think. I sometimes switched on the Porsche Sound thing but it really doesn't compare to the sound of an ICE car.
    • Excellent daily driver. Really: reliable, fast, spacious (enough) and very nice to drive especially when you get the rear wheel steering option (a must for me should I ever order another one).
    • Never worried about mileage. I drove it like I drive my normal cars; I had a charger at home so the car was always 100% full when I left. I never had to drive more than 350 km in a day so didn't care about the supposedly better mileage of a Tesla.
    • Feels proper Porsche. Nice materials, plenty of personalisation options. That said: all modern Porsches feel a bit 'clinical'.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thank you all, this agrees with my opinion. In one word, the Taycan felt "sterile"- very quiet and minimal road feel. I like it but it is almost too good. Audi is delivering their E-trons now that look promising. In my opinion, they look more "porschish" than the Porsche.
    Anyone driven the new Audi yet?

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Iriedon40

Iriedon40 Rookie

Dec 12, 2020
    Tampa
    Full Name:
    Don
    Just got a Tycan and would say I totally enjoy the ride, performance and tech stuff. The reason the Tycan is so good it is a bridge from ICE to BEV. Not Tesla tech but enough for the target audience. The car will improve over time as Porsche sends updates over the air. Yes the car is quiet and hearing exhaust is something most of us grew up with, now we have a Star Trek car doing warp speed more a visual and physical feel than auditory. The future is coming and for sure BEV’s will become better. One owners opinion.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Agree 100%.
    The SportTurismo is an absolutely gorgeous car

13. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    IS PORSCHE HIDING A BATTERY FIRE PROBLEM IN THE TAYCAN?
    Just type the words "Porsche Taycan fire" into Google. Now only one lonesome car, in Florida, but I am still miffed from back when Porsche had the intermediate shaft problem in the Boxster that there was no consumer movement for Porsche to pay for all repairs. They did it selectively. Now if Porsche has a problem and it is like the Bolt (where GM had to recall every single one of them) I will be miffed at the Porsche community for not making the problem known. Or am I just too excitable?

Videp here:https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/porsche-taycan-allegedly-explodes-and-catches-fire-burning-down-garage-video/

14. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  15. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Picked up our 2022 Taycan Cross Turismo last week and my impressions mirror René’s above. The only thing I’d add is this car rips on the exits and twisties with the low center of gravity and how it carries the weight. You definitely know it’s a Porsche from the drive to the materials and we’re happy with it this far… plus it’s cool looking too!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

sainthoo, bball16, Gh21631 and 6 others like this.
  16. Infant

Infant Karting

Dec 23, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    René
    That's a great looking car Joe. Congratulations!

JAM1 likes this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Why can’t they stuff Panamera mechanicals inside a Taycan body?

I’d buy that in a heartbeat.

Matt

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    My biggest complaint was that the UI/UX within the car was cumbersome and not ideal for a daily car. I also had a lot of issues with the mobile app, it never seemed to work and if it did the capabilities were minimal. Maybe some of this has been corrected as I had an early turbo S. Also, I have recently been made aware that if the car flexes a tiny bit it will become a total loss so be very careful jacking it up or if you track do not hit any curbing. Something to do with the batteries but I dint recall the details. Also, Porsche denying under warranty (so far).

19. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    @bitzman
    https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-whistleblower-taycan-battery-charger-fires-coverup/

read that and here is an excerpt which is intriguing:

A Remarkably Short Warranty
    An apparent hint of Porsche’s challenges with the Taycan’s battery could be seen in the warranty for the all-electric sports car, which happens to be one of the lowest on the market with just 60,000 km or three years if following conditions (Porsche Warranty Requirements) are not met:

Vehicles standing longer than two weeks supposed to be connected to a charger

• Customers must assure that the Taycan’s state of charge remains between 20% – 50%
    • Customers must make sure that their Taycan is not exposed to continuous sunlight
    Vehicles standing longer than two weeks not connected to a charger

• Customers must charge the Taycan’s battery before to 50%
    • Customers must check every three months and assure SoC remains at or above 20%
    • Customers must assure that their vehicle’s temperature is between 0C – 20C
    While 160,000 km is an average battery warranty in the industry, Porsche confirmed to me the 100,000 km lower, 60,000 km warranty and its restrictions.

20. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    We had initial issues with the app but using both (my Porsche and Porsche connect) seems to offset each others shortcomings thus far. I understand 2021 was also a significant UI revision (still a bit clunky but once it’s set it’s easier) and the 21/22s have more quick links etc along with plug and charge ability the earlier ones didn’t.

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    porsche made same mistake with ev as they did when introduced pdk. everyone wants paddles on their dct but porsche decided to go their own way with buttons instead. was awful in my 1st gen panamera and of course, they switched to paddles eventually. now theyre doing same thing with ev. huge benefit of ev is single pedal driving while using brakes to regen battery just like tesla does but porsche does not. thats a major advantage of ev that would keep me in tesla until porsche decides to do it the right way.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Bought a Taycan to replace the M8 coupe. Previous owner of 2 Tesla’s and I typically hate EVs. The Tesla’s drove like crap. Very soggy and loose.

For a daily, the Taycan is brilliant. I’m really enjoying it. I have the 4s and it’s plenty of power for me with the other cars in the garage.

The interface is ok- not great but not terrible. This is really where Tesla shines.

It handles well enough and frankly it’s not a great sports car but it’s a very capable and competent daily. Thumbs up from me.

23. Infant

Infant Karting

Dec 23, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    René
    This is incorrect: The Taycan does the same thing as a Tesla but just in a different way.

It’s a smart brake pedal: the first part of you hitting the brake pedal actually translates to engine braking. The second part (when you hit the brakes harder/push the pedal deeper) also the actual brakes join in.

The reason they choose this instead of “one pedal driving” is that Porsche believes that their buyers actually enjoy driving and being in control. Furthermore, a large percentage of buyers is in Europe and on the autobahn. High speed and one pedal driving are not necessarily a good combination…

Read more about it: https://insideevs.com/reviews/397503/porsche-taycan-regenerative-braking-deep-dive/

vraa likes this.
  24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    But here we use ev for in town commuting where I pedal driving is huge advantage. Guaranteed porsche will change this just like they did pdk buttons. Stubborn german engineers take while to realize others may have good idea too.

25. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    When I first saw the Mission E, I went directly to my dealer and put a deposit down for an early allocation. Loved the looks of the Mission E, the Taycan looks are pretty close. But when the Taycan was first delivered to my dealer, I carefully hooked over the car and its specs and passed keeping my Pano TS as my DD. It just seemed, IMO Porsche over promised, undelivered and over priced the Taycan, the looks with standing