The Official Ferrari 812 SUPERFAST pictures thread | Page 425 | FerrariChat

The Official Ferrari 812 SUPERFAST pictures thread

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by dcmetro, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    #10602 watt, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    First dry day in 812 SF -46F, P0's 31/30

The car is highly amusing - if you hammer it in 3rd or 4th, you can break traction at just 6,000 rpm - so like a Widow Maker, you better be paying attention and stay smooth. In Sport mode with bumpy road on, my bumpy roads still feel bumpy; the suspension is set quite stiff. Truly hammering it on some of my roads [no traffic lonely places], I would expect to spend some time airborne.

Everyone who sees it loves it, it's not an offensive car in appearance, a quiet beauty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Boots, mdrums and 5 others like this.
  2. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    #10603 watt, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    It reminds me of my GT2RS, it's very fast but I wasn't that impressed 7,000-9,000 rpm hammer down - I think GT2 RS is faster at terminal rpm acceleration but this is my subjective estimation not having driven the RS since 2019. It's much more attractive with out a Ricer wing, that made me cringe to drive the GT2RS anywhere in town. It's very fast 4,000 -7,000 due to massive torque, very useful day to day. One better close the windows when hammering it - the wind buffet will tear your head off, they solved this problem in the Roma, it's dead air at speed, no buffet.

My car does not have the front lifter and as usual I see no reason to have one, but I don't have parking garages and speed bumps in my life.

3. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Further Evaluation: I would plan a drive through Central Nevada and Death and Panamint Valleys on those nasty old narrow 2 lanes where the 996 GT2 tram lined and hunted so bad, you had to slow below 150 to stay between the white lines. It would bottom out and scrape in the drainage dips.

The GT2RS on the same roads would not bottom out as it had a depth of sequential stiffness that only came into play and your cognition when you were deep in compression in a drainage ditch hollow at very high speed - I believe it unlikely the SF suspension is anywhere near as sophisticated, so you'd battle for control but no way to know without running the route. I could be positively surprised that the everyday stiffness is perfect for those vicious dips at high speed.

I would switch to Michelin PS 4S for this test, and run 29/28 psi.

Boots, mclaren slr and Caeruleus11 like this.
  4. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    The overall feel driving the car is one of pleasure in the quiet beauty, zesty spirited sound, rippin' performance and fine elegant interior.

The new style racing seats don't fit me as perfectly as the Strad and Scud era racing seats which to me are the finest seats ever made. I do take into account that I'm now fully fused in my spine and no one builds a seat for Titanium spined buyers. With some twiddling of the dials I got the seat to fit 90% of perfect today. The manual seat controls are easy to use and effective, no reason to automate.

The interior is roomy, superbly crafted and the controls easy to use and intuitive. It's a great city car, a pleasure to toodle around in doing errands as it's comfortable, very easy to enter and exit even for a cripple - Neck straight, my head clears the roof easily on entering and exiting compared to Porsche GT cars. That ingress/egress difficulty in Porsche GTs [also due to side bolster design] has always - even pre-maximum crippled state - made them a pain in the ass for errands and short trips, besides bearing the embarrassment of associating oneself with the childish looks of the Ricer wings.

My car has the fancy stereo, which I can't comment on as I never turn it on.

It will be interesting to see if the GTS, when I receive it, has evolved from the SF, and smoothed some of the rough edges in the suspension. This is not a car for everyone, but if it's true that the era of the big 12s ends with Lusso, SF and GTS, it's certainly worth experiencing -- especially if you loved your Widow Makers Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    So you actually never start the engine?
    THAT IS where the "fancy stereo" is!

Marcel Massini

Quick1, Spider68, KenU and 5 others like this.
  6. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    'Took me a while to figure out how to keep the "stereo" from coming on with the start up. 'Never turned it on since. Whereas the REAL music always comes on with the start button! I find it interesting that so many people actually listen to the radio while driving the car.

Ali

mclaren slr likes this.
  7. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    Haha, yes 12 cylinders is its own stereo! That's why I haven't tried the radio stereo and never will!!
    Such a glorious sound of Dinosaurs munching hydrocarbons in large quantities. The govts are trying to outlaw us, so keep at least one big 12 at hand.

430jm likes this.
  8. ForeverCar

ForeverCar Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2017
    What’s the procedure to have stereo off by default upon start? Thanks.

9. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Have the radio on so you can hear it well. I think you press the radio volume button for about 5 seconds or so until the volume quits. From then on the radio will be off even after a restart.

Ali

430jm and ForeverCar like this.
  10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think that you just push the volume button in??

May the Horse be with you

11. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    is that Ingrid? thanks

12. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Sure it isn't Ingrid. It's opaco (matt) for starters. But not sure what shade.

TSOYBELIS likes this.
  13. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

14. BtvFerrari

BtvFerrari Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2020
    The Netherlands
    It could be Alluminio Opaco, Argento Nurburgring Opaco or satin ppf

15. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Loxo, of2worlds, Boots and 8 others like this.
  16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Fabulous... too bad the picture doesn't show the color enough. Anyway , the combination of verde and fall background is fabulous. Do you have some more pics ?

rumen1 likes this.
  17. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
  18. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  19. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    BRG should be solid but that does look metallic, doesn't it?

20. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Yeah, it does look metallic on these pics, not sure why, but it is actually flat (too flat for my taste, to be honest).

21. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    mdrums and mclaren slr like this.