Danish first time Ferrari owner (Cali 30 vs. THS) | FerrariChat

Danish first time Ferrari owner (Cali 30 vs. THS)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Kelleren, Nov 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    Greetings!

After a few hard years it is time to reward myself and realizing a childhood dream at the same time.

I am buying my first Ferrari, and have my eyes on a California model.

I live in Denmark where car taxes are insane, and I want a car that I can bring my wife and 2 year old daughter in.

I have spent hours on these forums, and watching and reading, but is still undecided on the subject of picking up a 30 vs. a T or T Handling Speciale.

My Ferrari dealer have offered me a T from 2016 with 33K km with the HS package and are willing to throw in an extention of the factory warranty for 2 years as part of the deal - the car will still come out more expensive than an older 30 model.

I expect it will cost me maybe 30.000USD pr. year for the 30 and maybe 36.000 or so for a T model (Including loss of value, costs to own and the leasing costs).

We are a "short" family, I myself am 174cm / 5.7 feet - my wife is 156cm / 5.11 feet.

I know that the sound for the 30 is better, and I also imagine that they will be a better investment as they are more "pure" - however the T model seems more nimble, and sound is not really "that important" to me.

I prefer a modern feel, an easy to drive car that I can use for comfort with the family but also let loose and have fun with.

The Portifino is my favorite but until cars are 3 years old in Denmark it's just absurd with taxes, so I am waiting for that model to become more available, maybe in a few years.

Finally - if any of you have pictures of children or adults using the back seats please post them - I plan to do long roadtrips with my daughter in the back (Not driving too much when she is awake) and wife and me in the front, I need to know if that is feasible - my wife sat comfortably with the seat all the way forward and I felt there were "good" space in the back.

Back seat real world useability for someone my wife's size or a baby chair is quite important to me.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

2. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    We have had four adults in our California 30 (2013) on a couple of occasions. It works fine for about up to an hour's trip. My wife and I are also short, so we can pull the seats forward. The most important thing is to make sure you can get a child seat that fits in a California. There are threads on Ferrari Chat regarding this. Make sure a child seat will fit before you buy the car! Good luck and hope to see some photos if it works out!

tomc and Kelleren like this.
  3. Trier

Trier Rookie

Aug 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Steffen Trier
    Hi there, dane living in Sweden just 40 km from Copenhagen. I did the same move in the spring and had some of the same considerations. Ended up with a California T, 2016, and still smiling. The pricing in Sweden are also more humane :). The seating behind is not suided for longer "adults" driving. My daughter is 155 cm and it works out for short trips. I think the backseats in the T model are equipped with isofixfittings making child seats easy to fit in.
    If you are living nearby we could hook up and you could try it out in person.
    Br. Steffen.

Kelleren likes this.
  4. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    Hi Steffen!

Tak!

Very kind of you - I already drove the car from Formula where I bought it and yesterday tried it with my wife and your description is what we felt as well, that the backseat will not be comfortable for an adult for a long trip.

The main point for us now is figuring out of our daughter could sit there comfortably for an extended period, and sleep in her car seat as well while we drive a little.

Thanks again for your input, perhaps we will meet if you come to the Ferrari meetup orchestrated by Formula in June :)?

5. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    Hi there Alex!

Thanks for your input, I will try to remember to shoot some pics when I finally settle on a car :)

The one I am considering at this time is this - I find it elegant but not too boring.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

tomc, SLViper1 and jsh458ft like this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    It's beautiful!

Kelleren likes this.
  7. Trier

Trier Rookie

Aug 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Steffen Trier
    Very nico colour combo. Actually my first choice, but no one for sale in my neighbourhood at that time, so ended up with the classic Rosso Corsa, and Cuio/ black interior like most :). But hey the first Ferrari must be red. You won´t regret. Its fast, very easy to drive, both coupe and cab, and you will not see one on each corner. See you to the next Cars and Coffee by Formula, if Corona allows it.

Kelleren likes this.
  8. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    I want a red one too, they have one at around the same price but without the HS package.
    We'll see - but hopefully yes I will be ready for the Cars n Coffee :D

9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Remember that red will attract A LOT of attention. That's great, as long as you're prepared for it. There are so many beautiful colors available that I'm not sure that every new owner thinks that the first one must be red, but it's a major purchase and it's important to be happy with your choice. You want your heart to skip a beat every time you open the garage!

Kelleren likes this.
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    One of the best examples I've seen was a metallic grey Cali T with a grey interior; that car oozed elegance!

Kelleren likes this.
  11. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    Just a signature away now! Hopefully it will be delivered mid December!

tomc, 695, Trier and 1 other person like this.
  12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats. Details on the one you selected?
    T

13. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    tomc likes this.
  14. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    tomc likes this.
  15. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tjek - den står også godt :) Kører du den 12 fulde måneder eller?

16. Kelleren

Kelleren Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Michael R K Keller
    1 aktiv nu her, 3 inaktive og så nok 5 aktive til sommer, og så ser vi om jeg beholder den en sæson mere eller ej.

17. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Tillykke med den! Så ses vi måske til et par arrangementer eller på vejen

18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    alex likes this.
  19. Trier

Trier Rookie

Aug 19, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Steffen Trier
    Tillykke med den, julemanden kom tidligt forbi. Bliver en lang vinter ;-). Havde godt luret den var væk på Formulas lagerliste. Rød kan bare noget når det er Ferrari. Hvordan oplever du forskellen med og uden HS pakken? Ledte selv forgæves længe efter ret farve og HS pakken, men endte samme sted. Lurer lidt på vejrudsigten om det skulle blive anledning til en lille smuttur inden lukketid. Har for øvrigt lige bestilt den store Ditec lakpakke på Black Friday. Ses derude.

20. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So I guess you picked it up yesterday - right as the snow starts falling down on Denmark and a forecast with freezing for the next couple of weeks :-(

Snow tires or garage?