C8 Z06 | Page 29 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    New gt4rs and z06 comparisons will be the fun. Result will not be surprising tho - z is best value and rs best quality. And I pick rs faster lap time despite down almost 200 up. The more things change....

BJK likes this.
  2. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I agree with most of that statement. I am not buying the new ZO6 to track...I know better than that, but if the new C8 ZO6 can't beat 7:06 around "The Ring" with Cup 2R tires then GM has "swung and missed" with this car.

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    lets look at it another way.
    Possibly chevy can produce 35K C8s of all types anualy once theyre really humming. How big do you think the total planetary market is for these cars. lets say Gm produced 150K over the next 5 years.
    Demand will be satisfied.
    Everything else is just time sensitive and and posturing.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My question with the Gt4rs is it will be not be such a great road car for many places, such as Florida where its highways and stoplights, whereas the vette will work perfectly and painlessly in such an enviroment. In fact unless you have twisty roads the porche may be a drag on road. That limits the porche as a road car to places where there are suitable roads.

Conversly the porche may be better for the track, feelign more honed more of a piece, dynamicaly betetr atuned. I guess it all depends what ones track to road use ratio is as well as location.
    I can persoanlyy see tracking a z06 maybe 4x per year, and the other more focused track car the rest of the time. I can see using a z06 near daily as the mood strikes for running about.

If one had track as a priority use for the car, in fact if it was a primarily drive to the track car, the porche is going to be a better choice imo.
    But if primary use is road with ocasional track the vette depending on where you live may be the better choice.

Plus everytime I see a c8 on the road, which in fl is multiple times per day(theyre already not rare) it looks like an exotic, who wouldnt want an exotic as a diriver esp one enginered to work.

The vette is like an exotic you can track Like an exotic its also a bit too heavy.
    The prche is goign to weigh 700lbs less, be shorter etc, its more like a track car that works on the road than an exotic that can trackl(z06)

95spiderman likes this.
  5. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Agree. And that's how its always been.
    Also 4rs will be significantly more expensive. Maybe 180k to 120k when similarly optioned.
    And I would guess 3200lbs to 3700 real weights.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

It does look interesting though. We are truly at the zenith swansong of ICE and manutacturers are not holding back.
    interestingly this article implies it will be fat more comfortable on road than a Gt3. One clearly wants a Gt4rs and a z06. At 120 for either its a tough decison and prbably the proche. At 180K vs 120k the vette is a no brainer, plus eventualy you'll be able to buy the vette whereas the porche is for hedgies onl;y.
    Compared to a ferrari the porche looks great.

Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 RS: new insights revealed | evo

95spiderman likes this.
  7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    From MT

as impressive as those numbers are even more impressive is the starting price of $86,995. The information is shared with us by the YouTube channel HorsePower Obsessed, which obtained the piece of information from two separate dealerships and two different salesmen at those dealerships. This officially makes the C8 Z06 the most attainable supercar, currently on sale.

With the regular C8, the convertible cost $7,500 extra, while the 2LZ and 3LZ packages cost $3,270 and $8,650 respectively. Again, referring to the regular C8 options’ price, the Z07 package costs an additional $7,995 and if you want the exposed carbon fiber ground effects, that’s another $3,995, and for the competition seats – an additional $995.

Level one carbon-fiber interior package would still cost $1,500, while Level two is expected to cost around $3,000. Add the engine appearance package, which in the Z06 includes a carbon-fiber engine cover, which is another $1,990 and the total price can reach $114,625.

With the C8 Z06, you get the front carbon-fiber lip spoiler and magnetic ride control, as standard. However, the most expensive option will be the carbon-fiber wheels. While some sources claim the option would cost around $20,000, the channel’s host speculates that the actual price is more likely to be around $10,000, but only if you already have the Z07 package. After everything we just said, we can expect that the most expensive Corvette C8 Z06 would top out somewhere between $130,000 and $140,000.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    GT4 Rs base is near on 142K, less weight and more hp than z06
    Agreed can be 180k when fully optioned, certainly 150-160k.
    compared with a 100-120k vette

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wonder which one will get the higher adm? both are regular production cars so they will make as many as can sell for several years at least. i would guess porsche will add more $ since customers more used to it esp with gt cars. my guess is 50k for gt4 and 25k for z06.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #710 TheMayor, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Both the Z06 and Z07 are at the LA auto show

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  11. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'll be there on Monday, looking forward to seeing them.

12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I doubt the RS will be faster than the Z06. I also don't agree about the better quality. I spent time in a ZO6 and its every bit the equal of the Porsche quality. Porsche will be lighter though.

13. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    It'll be about a 500 lb weight difference, but the Z06 will still have a better power to weight ratio.

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Lets see how they do in lap time comparisons. Randy at Laguna will,be epic. I say rs by .5 sec.

15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #715 Solid State, Nov 20, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    Hmmm. Street car with titanium intake valves and hard shims. That would be understandable for a true exotic where you throw tons of money at it but not a good setup for a mass produced car. The video says they are "shimmed for life" making you think its ultra reliable.

Truth is titanium is soft compared to stainless. It must be coated to withstand the friction. Once the ultra-thin coating begins to wear it wears faster and then needs to be re-shimmed. On a motorcycle, I re-shimmed just once before ditching the valves and going stainless.

Another issue are the valve seals. Race engines use exotic materials with titanium valves to transmit enough heat to cool the valves with high rpm low contact times. Those seals are softer by definition. If you don't have softer material seats then the valve coating wears fast. The video doesn't mention special alloy valve seats. The result is the valve and seat need replacing more often.

16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Huh?
    The GT4RS is 493HP (C8 Z06 is 670). There is no way is will be faster around any track than the C8 Z06.
    The current Cayman GT4 is NOT faster around VIR Grand Course than a C8 Stingray with Z51.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #717 boxerman, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    I’m Sure in a magazine 3 lap test you may be right. But as we have discussed before there’s a lot more to being on track seriously than 3 laps. A Dodge Viper acr was one of the safest but there were maybe 20 drivers who could do it.

a lotus Elise is one of the slowest yet in many hands it’s one of the fastest not least because it can sustain lap times and it’s ordinance is acessable . The porches experience may be more acessable and viceral.

it’s not always how fast you go but how you go fast that counts.
    The first time I ever went to the track many years ago I was in my bbi with all that relative power and someone in a 308gtsi was smoking me.

the first day of race school we students in single seaters struggled to keep up with an instructor in a dodge neon. By the second day the neon was dust by the third day we were humbled by instructors in single seaters.

point is computers and power can do a lot. But as we’re not pros different cars can be faster and more enjoyable on track because there simply more of a talkative honed piece.

you’re preaching to the choir here, I’m on the list for a zo6 and greatly anticipating it, but I’m also keeping it in perspective. It’s a true blue exotic super cat that’s reliable fast and viceral that can go to the track. That woukd make it one of the very few super cars that can track. Btw super cars are cool and fun they’re really not ideal for track being too big too heavy and overpowered, although in context they are really their own fun experience. I think the Vette is intimate cool, as I kid I imagined a countach o. Track and had no idea how compromised theirs old super cars were at being cars. The Vette to me is a synthesis of a big Lamborghini and great Ferrari na motor and pure oid Yankee comfort reliability. It’s hits so many sweet spots it’s great, but I also keep it in context. It’s a road car that can go tot he track on occasion.

past 400 hp there are maybe 5 people on this forum who can really use a car can give on track. Not to say a hipo car can’t be fun for the rest of us it’s just a function of under standing what it is and what it’s for. Seems like everyone here wnats the Vette as a road car and May occasionally if at all track it. And that is what the zo6 is for, same as pretty much every new Ferrari. The gt4 is more track focused, that’s pretty obvious from the spec.

imo in most hands the porche will be quicker and more fun on track. That will come at a cost in $ and compromise for the road. If I were having the car mostky to drive to the track the porche is the obvious choice, it’s weight alone tells the story and a porche has a history of making very well honed track pieces.

for the road however, depending on where you live the Vette is simply a more appropriate and better road car. If you only occasionally track it and your track experience is that of a few times a year moderate de event the Vette may well be technically quicker, but in any event at that level the differences between the two are those of preference more than ability if the car. I’ve seen a pro driven mustang gt on Hoosiers smoke pretty much everything g at the Glenn.

we know what the Vette is, it’s great it’s also big and heavy which is just a Staten t of fact that affects many things and may well make it a better road car for 90% of the USA.

in Florida where I am now I can’t imagine a better “fast” car. The Ferraris and mclaren s seem a little too small and too I. Your face for general use ability, and a gt4 woukd just be harder work for less.
    It’s all context and priorities, there is no one car.

yes my error the Vette. Has more ho to go with it’s more weight. And yes it’s power to weight ratio may be better which is a factor in steet. But for track the porche is simply lighter shorter. Doesn’t matter they’re two different animals.

I’m just estatic that after comming od age in the 79s that we live now in such a great car era lites as the days may be. I’m doubly Enthused that our home team makes such a. Superlative vehicle. We clearly a s a nation have the talent but this is almost the first time that our cipratii s are allowing g trust talent to truly shine. Maybe in the 50s and 60s Cadillac shined this bright but it’s been a while.

k wright likes this.
  18. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #718 jimmyb, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Sorry...3 laps or 20 laps...the GT4RS will STILL be slower than the C8 Z06.
    I'm not talking about "people on this forum" which is a tiny sample size compared to the number of people that do HPDE's all over this country.
    Take two experienced HPDE drivers, the C8 Z06 is just going to be faster. All the weight does is cost you more money in consumables.

You guys know the C8 is mid-engine, right?
    All the talk here, bringing up the ACR, sounds like you're talking about a C7. Driving a C7 fast and driving a C8 fast is NO comparison. It takes REAL talent to drive a C7 Z06/ZR1 really fast.

MikeR397 and Wikdstrate like this.
  19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #719 jimmyb, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    I would NOT bet your house on that Z06 price. MT is notorious for publishing BAD information and "Horsepower Obsessed" knows just as much about C8 Z06 pricing as I do. Which is to say, nothing. Seriously, the pricing info came from 2 salesmen at 2 dealerships...:rolleyes:
    FYI, what really shows you the MSRP is wrong when the interior package prices are so far out of whack. 2LZ (equivalent to 2LT in a Stingray) is $3,270??? 2LT on a Stingray costs $7,300...I'm certain that package didn't DROP by over $4,000 on a more expensive car. Comp seats are a $1,995 option in the Stingray...they're going to be half that price in a Z06??? Don't trust ANY of these MT/Horsepower Obsessed numbers...

boxerman and TheMayor like this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Agree but its not close to $100K though. Somewhere between the two.

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m waaay down the list for a Z06 at a major dealer (Stingray, I think they’re #6 in nation).
    How many Z06s do you think they can make per year?
    The Z06 must be a higher margin car than the C8, do you think they’ll increase Z06 to capture more profits and satisfy demand?
    I’m beginning to wonder if where I am on the list will even be achieved.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    IMHO, under 10k a year. There are some here who think it will be 3-4x that.

TheMayor and italiafan like this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm in the 10K per year camp. Something like 20% of the production leaving the factory in the future (but less than 10% of overall production). I still think the meat of the 2 seat sports car market is under $80K.

I also think there's a lot of speculators in the market.

24. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This new engine has a lot more exotic materials internal to it. There's also the practicality of just not being able to source enough to make that many engines.

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm actually interested in that "build your own" engine program. I think it would be interesting.

k wright and boxerman like this.