The official Daytona SP3 Thread! | Page 14 | FerrariChat

The official Daytona SP3 Thread!

Discussion in 'Icona Series (SP1, SP2, & SP3)' started by Jonathan19, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Clearly the design of the new Daytona SP3 is directly derived from the legendary 1968 250 P5 and NOT from the 330 P3 or 330 P4 (that won Daytona 1967).
    And nobody thought about getting the 250 P5 to Mugello for this weekend, the car lives in a Swiss collection.......
    Instead they show some P3 and P4 (#0844, #0856) which have zero to do with the new Daytona..........
    Is is just lack of knowledge for their own history or simple ignorance, or is it because the word Daytona and P4 is much more prominent and more well-known than P5?
    Scratching my head.

Marcel Massini

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    +1

Could it be that unlike the other cars mentioned—which are ultimately Ferrari-owned designs—the P5 was a Pininfarina design study so not an “official” Ferrari and one which was eventually recycled as an Alfa Romeo?

3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    0844, 0856 and 0858.

Marcel Massini

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Ferrari never released an official weight figure for the LaFerrari and the LaFerrari Aperta.

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The red 250 P5 was completely recreated by Ferrari and Pininfarina in 2000 for a Japanese collector, then sold 2013 to the current Swiss owner.

Marcel Massini

6. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Are there any pictures about radiators? Obviously they can't be inside the doors. Just curious to see how the air channelling is done.

jamalj likes this.
  7. Buchpilot

Buchpilot Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2021
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Sven
    I had hoped for something like the Glickenhaus P4/5. In my opinion, Ferrari got the Daytona SP3 totally wrong. The just mixed together totally different styles of design without any clear line. Maybe, this car looks better in real, but telling from the pictures it will go down as one of the great failures. At least, for the moment, because even the F50 is enjoying appreciation now after more than 25 years of contempt by many members of the Ferrari community.

jamalj, Maggio23, werewolf and 3 others like this.
  8. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Here's the air chanelling.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Thank God the brilliant LaFerrari looks nothing like this dog's meal. It also seems that the LF is aerodynamically superior with its active aero. The only mention of aero in the Daytona's press release was about thermal management.

10. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    I am struggling with fact it looks like it has been in a side impact crash, there are much more elegant ways to deal with airflow than this….I am willing it grows on me, truly, but struggling…I am having to convince myself it is beautiful….as a Ferrari should be, maybe I am missing something. I think if you were to offer Enzo a rear wing or this crashed side profile, even he may well have just choose the wing…

Only my opinion..hope it does grow on me, will probably look spectacular in the flesh, hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Sold out a long time ago.

12. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    This Car is GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    This ^^

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What was the paint identification name for this Ferrari - Pininfarina rebirth collaboration of the P5 car? Hope it turned out better than the Ferrari 125 build the factory did around 1990...

ingegnere likes this.
  15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Will ask the owner whom I am supposed to meet towards the end of the coming week.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and ingegnere like this.
  16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Victor

Check your PM's.

Marcel Massini

456-boy likes this.
  17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It probably has more to do with the design of the P5 is Pininfarina. Why would they want to showcase Pininfarina's work? Only Ferrari knows the answer to that.

KenU, ingegnere and of2worlds like this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The radiators—they’re in the same place as in the LaF, but reduced in size—are discussed in this video and you can also make out the channeling in the doors leading to the rads… and to superfluous weight addition.

inox likes this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    They desperately try to (erroneously) combine/connect the new Daytona SP3 to the 330 P4 which won Daytona 1967, rather than to the 250 P5 showcar of 1968.
    Design-wise there is no connection of the new one to the 1967 P4, apart from the similarly round wheels, the yellow badge and a 12 cyl engine.
    However, the entire rear of the new Daytona SP3 has clearly been copied and pasted from the Pininfarina 250 P5.
    It appears that the marketing guys have no idea. Happens all the time.

Marcel Massini

20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I suppose there are radiators only near the air exit? It is a rather long tunnel to get in there. Would be interesting to see pictures of air channel within a door and especially how it continues from there.

elmadi likes this.
  21. Senad

Senad Formula Junior

May 14, 2019
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Sanad Alibrahim
    my thoughts exactly, profile is a like a car having been hit from a side.
    Can anyone edit a photo to make it go away? Thanks

mthompson2376 and ingegnere like this.
  22. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Apart from the 230kg of downforce at 124mph you mean?

23. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    I have often defended the work of F. Manzoni and the Centro Stile here in the chat, but after this vehicle I understand much better what day355 says when he criticizes a few things. After the beautiful Monza SP1/2, I never thought that I would see something like this in a FerrariChat ... (although day355 gave us a hint). I actually understood the “Icona language“ in such a way that it simplify things and doesn´t make them more complex (also aerodynamically).
    So it´s time to leave this special SP3 thread. My hope is that i will see some better looking models in the near future again. And with the current Roma Manzoni and his team proof that they can do it well (yes, I know what you will say: different cars for different people...). So this is just my humble opinion.

elmadi, rajaramsivasankar and Senad like this.
  24. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    History shows that Ferrari get it right. So many people hated the F50 when it came out and now it is one of the most coveted Ferrari ever made. When the Enzo came out many said it was very un-Ferrari and a caricature of a supercar. Today the vast majority love it and so do I. I said the LaF was an ugly car when it was first presented and now I look at mine every day and admire its lines as a modern classic. Many said the same thing about the TDF and now it is universally acclaimed as one of the most beautiful front engines V12s. I cannot even count the number of people telling me not to buy a Monza and now everybody seems to think it is a gorgeous work of art.
    The SP3 in my opinion is stunning. Wait until you see it in the metal (if you haven’t already) and decide then
    As for being a failure… just ask the dealers to tell you how many good clients they have complaining about not being allocated one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    "wasp waist" is very well said ... perfect descriptor for one of the many very odd, incongruous aspects of this atrocity.

ingegnere likes this.