Any early to mid 50s Ferrari owners in New Jersey? | FerrariChat

Any early to mid 50s Ferrari owners in New Jersey?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Pat Pryor, Nov 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor Rookie

Nov 10, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Parick Pryor
    Hi all,

I am currently building a, I guess you would say "replica" Ferrari 857 Monza, but to me it is more of a study. I am a very accomplished metal fabricator that likes good engineering mixed with simplicity which draws me to early 50s sportscars. learning about the development of these cars along with their superleggera construction and that it being much different from American cars / American manufacturing methods made me decided to dig deeper and just build a near exact replica as a learning experience. I know replicas are frowned upon, but this isn't a VW with a fiberglass body on top like a parade float, this build is pretty much a Ferrari by an engineering standpoint. It should match the performance, the handle, the feel and the look of the real thing, but just not have the originality or value of a real one, kind of like owning a reproduction shotgun. well, that's my excuse.

Most of these early cars share a lot of similar parts, if anyone can help with info or has access to early cars, please contact me. I'm currently looking for front suspension measurements.

Thank you,
    Pat

Image Unavailable, Please Login

colorfull and staatsof like this.
  2. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Looks neat, what are you planning to use for a drivetrain?

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor Rookie

Nov 10, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Parick Pryor
    Thanks. The engine I plan on using would be the Alfa Romeo 2.0 engine. It is nearly identical to the Lampredi engine. I don’t know who was copying off who back then. The transaxle so far Is a Porsche 928 transaxle.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    You might contact Leydon Restorations in Lahaska, PA.

Pat Pryor likes this.
  5. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor Rookie

Nov 10, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Parick Pryor
    Thank you! I’ll give them a try.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Interesting I have the same thing planned actually, not decided on the model yet though. Are those tubes next to the transaxle section welded like an exhaust, why not just bend them? Ohh it would work much better if you you used a Miller. :)

Looking forward to see what you do for the body. That's the hard part. Love to see it progress in person one day.

7. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor Rookie

Nov 10, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Parick Pryor
    I pie cut the chassis tubes because I didn’t want to make or buy a special forming die for just a one time use. The pie cuts will be strong enough to handle the stress, also it isn’t a visual part of the car. Haha It is all shared technology when it comes to welders, the Lincoln will do just fine. I have the body here in the shop it’s a stack of various gauges and heats of aluminum sheet, should be the easy part once I get my hammer running. You are more then welcome to stop by and check it out. My shop is in Woodbridge, just give me a heads up when you want to stop by.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  9. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor Rookie

Nov 10, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Parick Pryor
    Nice project! I’m a big fan of complete scratch built projects and anything hand made, unless it’s “forged knife making”.

I’ve thought about buying one to reverse engineer, but I have not found one for the car I’m building. If they are accurate It could definitely speed up build time.

10. jinjlwe

jinjlwe Rookie

Dec 29, 2021
    Thank you very much

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Did you try talking with Classic Coach in Elizabeth? They have worked on many 1950's Ferraris.

12. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor Rookie

Nov 10, 2021
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Parick Pryor
    Joe,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have not recently, I’ve dealt with them in the past and they usually aren’t the helpful type. Unless they have the actual car there in their facility there’s not much they can help me with I believe.
    I did however get over the suspension issues I was stumped with and when I have free time will start finishing the front of the chassis. I’ll post some pictures for anyone interested.

Thank you,
    Pat