windows stopped working | FerrariChat

windows stopped working

Discussion in '308/328' started by philip litchfield, Nov 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philip litchfield

Sep 5, 2007
    northants u.k.
    Hello all,

All my windows have stopped working, until after about 5 minutes of driving when they start to work again.
    Any ideas?

Thanks Phil

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Check the voltage they are getting from the fuse box , sounds like the volts are going up when driving. They are known to slow down due to reduction of volts

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Assuming that you have a euro version 1979 308GTB as your Profile and location seem to indicate (please correct if not so), a couple of things you can do are:

1. When the windows aren't working, see if the wipers work, or not (the wipers also not working then could indicate a fuseblock/fuse issue),

2. Try a different ...113 relay in the relay G (relay for windows) position.

If neither of those give a clue, then measure the voltage at the top (and bottom) of fuse #8 or #9 relative to ground with the key "on" -- all should be +12V. If that's all good, but the windows still don't work = most likely some wiring/connection Gremlin in the switches.

thorn likes this.
  4. kcsun

kcsun Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    ken cheek
    Try charging your battery overnight to see if things improve, maybe battery or alternator dying and not initially giving enough power after the initial starting drain

kc

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Buy a chain block

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    What is a "chain block?"

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A big block with a chain attached

8. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Seems like a relay on the margin of failure, the inside contact corrodes/wears and you can intermitent problems.

Probably easier to figure out why all windows don't work rather than just one!

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  11. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    That is true - but most of the original motor lubricants have turned to Play-Doh and do stress the inertia and functioning of the motor. voltage will only go so far with moving sludge.
    - No??

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    True

13. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    Check the actual switch first. Take it apart and make sure the switch is getting contact. When you take the switch apart it will be obvious if it is the switch or not. Switches are easy to replace and last time I did it, cheap to buy. JP

14. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Both windows not working and then working suggests not the switches? But as with all things electrical it is good to rule out the more typical things first.

15. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I vote for a bad relay. My Mercedes car seats would sometimes move and sometimes not move when told to do so. All four seat motors bad, hardly. Removed the controlling relay and under magnification I noticed a hairline crack in a solder joint on the relay's circuit board. Resoldered all the connections on the relay, and all is fine now. That was over a year ago.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What everyone one is missing is that the windows work after 5 mins driving, so the system volts must be higher to do this, ie it is charging at 14.4 volts, but he has less at start and they dont work.

17. kcsun

kcsun Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    ken cheek
    Hi Mike, this is why I suggested your battery may be on its way out. Have you tried charging it overnight so that we know the battery is fully charged and then try the windows to see if they work immediately.
    Also as others have said, the grease in the window mechanisms can get very thick as it ages, therefore the motor needs an extra "push" to get them working. I wonder also if the car is very cold when you take it out and then when it warms up and the grease slightly thins and the windows start to work
    kc

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Not my car - the best test is to put 12 volts direct to the motor and bypass the rest

19. kcsun

kcsun Rookie

Jun 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    ken cheek
    Sorry Mike, just realised it was Philip who was the original poster

kc

20. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    When my Mercedes was acting up, sometimes the seats would work after driving it a little, sometimes not. Evidently the movement of the vehicle (roughness of pavement) sometimes closed the crack in the relay.

21. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    If both windows are affected the same way and at the same times, it logically wouldn't be switches. It's got to be something in the circuit that is common to both sides, and I think the most likely thing is the relay. Why it doesn't work at first is a mystery, but that's where I'd focus first.

thorn likes this.
  22. philip litchfield

Sep 5, 2007
    northants u.k.
    Correct, was the relay,swapped with another to check. All I need to do now is track down a new one.
    Thanks all

23. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Its still odd they worked only after 5 mins driving originally, i would measure the volts at the motors with the old and new relays in situ. I think there is a bit more to this yet. I have some euro wiring diagrams if it helps