Repaint questions | FerrariChat

Repaint questions

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Dec 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Hello everyone, I have a grey 1987 Testarossa. It has mostly original paint. The front is covered in rock chips, the sharp edges on some body panels have worn thin and it has a few small spots of clear coat failure.

I was thinking about getting the car repainted to clean it up. I'm torn because I like the patina it has but also would love a car with nice paint.

I have received two quotes for a full repaint, one was $50k, the other they said could go up to $100k depending on what they do. I find that a bit high for a car worth $100k.

They said that would be for a full bare metal repaint. My question is, does anyone has experience with painting over the existing paint? Pros and cons of that? Any idea what that would cost?

Anyone know of any good places in LA that won't cost $50k to paint?

Thank you
    Michael Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I have restored several old cars. These were bare metal and then complete repaint. The cost of the the paint work has nothing to do with the value of the car. 50k should be enough money to get a very high quality paint job. I know of a guy here in the Bay Area that is doing show quality repaints on old corvettes and I believe that’s about the cost. You also have to strip everything off the car. You would never paint over old paint. The quality of the paint job is all based on the prep work which includes stripping all old paint off of the car. You will have to investigate body shops carefully and get a recommendation before doing this. Also see their work. Ask yourself how nice of a job do I want. Do I want it back to the way it was when it left the factory? Or do I want a ****ty job? If you don’t do it correctly I would just leave it alone. If it’s only the front then you could just have someone repair and repaint the front only and a good shop could probably match the paint to where you can’t tell. Hope that helps. You may ask your local Indy shop who they recommend. They often use them too and can help.

3. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I guess I'm in the tough spot of wanting to clean up the car a bit but it's not worth enough to justify a full restoration.

So it's sounding like I can leave it as is, clean up the interior a bit. I guess I thought that you can paint a car by sanding it down and going over the old paint if you are sticking with the same color.

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You might just get the front bumper resprayed. Your original paint is not base coat clear coat. It is a single stage called Glasurite. I think I spelled it right. They will most likely use Base coat clear coat to spray any new paint on.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many colors were indeed 2 stage. I bet grey was.

MOSS likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I think they are both bending you over.. I'd drive it to San Diego to Gary Bobileffs place and ask him. Lambos and Ferrari's is all he does and he doesn't treat each one like a retirement plan.

7. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Bobileffs is the one that said if you want it done right then it would be up to $100k, maybe $50-75k for a normal paint job.

So that's where I'm torn. If I stripped the car down of all the trim that would reduce cost but probably not enough. They said if the car was worth $750k then it would make sense. I wonder if they think I want it to be concourse winning.

I just want a nicer looking car but I'll still drive it. So that's the position im stuck in.

8. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think I’ve seen your car. If you were at the last Concorso. It still looks good especially for a driver. I wouldn’t mess with it. You won’t want to drive it after you paint it.

MOSS likes this.
  9. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Yea at Concorso Italiano this year. At this point I'm just getting quotes because my engine out is coming up. So I figured I could do engine out and paint at the same time. If paint was $15k, then I'd go for it.

I'm going to get a few more quotes but it sounds like I'll be disappointed at the prices. Maybe I'll just get the front bumper and mirrors done just to clean it up a bit.

I can just make it mechanically perfect and just leave the rest as a driver.

Zeff likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    California has instituted a bunch more restrictions and rules driving up the costs. Last time Gary and I talked about it, several years ago he said more like $20,000. Goes to show elections have consequences. Look in Arizona. Its why I left 8 years ago.

11. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I just had a mostly bare metal full restoration with all parts/hardware removed except the front windshield (my decision). The car in front of mine getting ready for a California show was a 1960's 250 short wheel base so they know what they are doing. The original quote was $20 -25K but it came in closer to $30K due to an issue with front bumper painted in the past without primer so took a while to get down to fiberglass base with no future de lamination issues. Also, took a while to remove the sticky sound insulation previous owner put inside of doors. I did not have a clear coat as they put 3 layers of paint down and buffed so in the end about one layer thickness gets buffed off, looks like glass. Shop is in Minnesota.

12. Desert_John

Desert_John Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Hickman
    Elias at Goldcrest Autobody in San Diego is incredible. It's a bit of a drive for you but he does amazing work at a great price.

13. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Has anyone considered wrapping their car?

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    samsaprunoff and Zeff like this.
  15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #15 vincenzo, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Ludicrous prices. Tell ‘em to stuff it. Thieves. Insulting.

Get out of California.

PS: paint is not rocket science. This is my garage repaint in Rosso Fiorano using OEM 2 stage Glassurite. Zero fish eyes, zero orange peel. A significant amount of fiberglass repairs. No new panels.

Attached Files:

samsaprunoff likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    There is no need for removal of the old paint and filler unless your car suffers from severe corrosion or if the old paint is incompatible with the new paint system. Paint/filler on cars after 80'ish is most often no problem to work on as base for new paint. I think it is a shame and waste of money to go to bare metal and removing the original craftsmanship / shape of the car. 50 to 100 K$ paint jobs sounds like a joke. Top quality paint jobs in Europe are less than 15K. Someone is pulling your legs. Maybe consider to strip the car yourself and save some bugs?

Best, Peter

17. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If they are quoting $50k to $100k for a paint job, it’s daylight robbery. I had a full respray of my previous Ferrari Mondial for £4K GBP around 4years ago. My Testarossa will be having the roof, bonnet, rear wings and engine lid repainted soon for around £3k GBP soon… If your car needs a full blown bare metal respray where it’s stripped bare and corrosion/ panel work expect around circa £10k…

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Robbery. Damn good paint jobs are expensive but even thar price is for million dollar cars that warrant the work. Spend $20k and youll get a really good job. $30k isnt unreasonable for top notch work these days. And it wont happen in LA or all of CA because of the state’s ridiculous politics and costs

19. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Well I'm glad some people stepped up to comment on the price. I know people have been painting over older paint for a long time. I'd probably go that route, but one of the shops I spoke to acted like I was insulting Ferrari by wanting to do that.

I'll get more quotes from less specialty places. I'm not trying to win a concourse with the paint, just have it look nicer.

I'll let everyone know what the next quote looks like.

20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Glad to know this. Do you know what year they started it?

21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    You are good. Looks nice.

22. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    This sounds more like it. Everything is double these days. A new normal.

23. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    AMEN x 100

24. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    $100k for a bare metal paint job…wtf!!!! Presumably the lube is free as they bend you over, or does that come under “sundries”?

I’m having the buttresses, engine cover (just the strip), roof, targa top and windscreen pillars done on my 348 this Wednesday, £1.9k; and I had prices from two very highly recommended paint shops within £100 of each other.

Standard price for a bumper is £600; front end respray circa £2-3k.

Full bare metal over here; I’d expect £10-20k depending on who you use and some level of remedial work included.

25. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    Check with Braden on Long Island, they do or did a lot of Ferrari work.