The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread | Page 418 | FerrariChat

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    There's no way you can duplicate this car for less than $4 million, maybe more. As much as I dislike Glickenhaus, a street legal P4 replica is a helluva car.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    for whatever reasons it seems the P cars bring a fraction of the GTO money and even some of the famous 250/275 GT racers. I would put a few of the rare P cars with no stories and solid race history at GTO levels.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    how much have the other Piper cars traded hands at lately?

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. NunoRosso

NunoRosso Karting

Dec 10, 2007
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The GTO is a more manageable car and has all the mystique associated to the model.

And to be honest, the sample size is so small and they're traded so rarely that we can't truly access the P cars' market value - how many of these cars are a "no-stories" car? probably 5 or 6.

Coincidentally, the two P cars I consider the best - in my layman opinion - were traded fairly recently: 0816 for $40M and 0856 for an undisclosed value.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  5. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    Meanwhile, happy 91st birthday to the man who started it all with his wheeling and dealing and permission for 1 extra P4 chassis that became 4……David Piper.

Paul M

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Haven’t a clue.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    The only F-car I believe Piper has sold is 003, although he tried to sell the 0900b and 0900c chassis. He sold a Porsche 917 that was built from spares on a replica chassis (ring any bells?).

I believe he has been creating a trust for all the cars to leave them to his family.

Paul M

tomgt and Texas Forever like this.
  8. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Paul, Piper told me he bought a spare chassis and parts from Porsche for his 917 5-LT replica

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Very much agree. The various lawsuit and storied chopped up and put back together Ferrari's all have fascinating histories. Maserati too, with their racing cars constantly being re-stamped, and the fairly recent discovery of the long lost Ghia bodied 5000gt. Film festival worthy type documentaries

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10435 miurasv, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Personally I can't see why with all the evidence, that @rob lay, or anyone for that matter, can't recognise that Mr Glickenhaus's car is not Ferrari #0846 and is just the David Piper P4 replica chassis #DP0003 with a 3 litre 312 F1 engine that he agreed to buy and bought, and place it in the correct sub section.

But as @rob lay is obstinate and choses to keep the thread in the real Ferraris section, the following title is correct, imo: The (one and only) "Is David Piper's DP #0003 Ferrari's #0846?" Debate Thread.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ahh, there's the ole ******* trolling attitude that got you banned originally.

JL350 and Jakuzzi like this.
  12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    No, it was my statements and proof of actual facts, all of which were researched in a correct and professional manner, that got me banned.

tomgt likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You have zero reason to be trolling this thread and me right now with this deplorable attitude. We aren't going to put up with it, final warning.

JL350, fasthound and 3500 GT like this.
  14. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Genuine question, for future reference so that members unwittingly do not infringe such, what is the fchat moderators definition of a troll/trolling? do people who post a like on such a post also get banned?

tomgt likes this.
  15. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This thread is an example of why I despise “social media”. For the love of (insert your own favorite deity or obsession), please just close this thread to any new posts and let’s be done with it.

Mans fatal flaw is….man.

Bryanp and TTR like this.
  16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    This post is an example of why I sometimes despise "social media". Thread didn't go your way?

Yes, man's fatal flaw is....man.

tomgt and Jakuzzi like this.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I can't think of liking a post only as a problem, trolling is more about a pattern of behavior which I guess a small part could be the posts you like.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  18. fasthound

fasthound Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 23, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Miurasv -

Wow…really? Thread didn’t go my way? You must be joking, right? I have no dog in this fight. I couldn’t care less one way or the other about this specific car.

My comment wasn’t meant as a personal attack, but was instead a general comment about the unnecessary vitriol that is continuing to spew forth for no apparent reason. But hey, thanks for letting me know you didn’t like my post. I’ll certainly take that under considered advisement.

I apologize for expressing an opinion that doesn’t meet with your approval. I’ll refrain from further comment and move on to a different area of the forum and leave you to whatever it is you are trying to accomplish here.

JL350 likes this.
  19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Hmmm, so I guess it could be a case of one mans troll is another mans freedom fighter! :D

Lowell and Jakuzzi like this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Challenge to all to read the entire thread. I did over Thanksgiving. Could not get through every paragraph though. You can see a very excited man post his journey. Enjoyed the pictures of the vintage cars and pieces. Anyone having any doubt whatsoever about the identity of this car has not read it. IMO this car is not an original Ferrari and can never be sold as such. Full on replica. No idea what the value of it is as that's a different debate. But its a parts car for sure and nothing more.

Picchu88, Lusso123, fiatosca and 4 others like this.
  21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10446 miurasv, Dec 4, 2021
    Clearly you know nothing about the history of this car and the false statements of the owner which have been of great interest to many Ferrari enthusiasts. You claim that your post was not a personal attack on me and yet you "like" @rob lay's totally unjustified post here in which he states that I'm trolling and have a deplorable attitude. He should be grateful that I spent the great deal of time that I took to research this subject properly and post my findings substantiated by photographic proof, but no, I'm a troll according to him and that has been his general insulting tone regarding my posts since I started posting in this 18 year old thread around 2014. He once said something to the effect of that the outcome of whatever Mr Glickenhaus's car is will never be found in this thread, but he was wrong. All the proof is right here.

Terra, tomgt, fiatosca and 1 other person like this.
  22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    It looks like a certain contributor doesn't like or want ANYONE to criticize or question his efforts or the outcome he believes in and appears more than willing to attack (with vitriol) ANYONE daring to post anything contradicting or diminishing his "beliefs" or "efforts".

Yeah, I too think this thread could stand closing, at least until some credible new evidence comes to light, but it's not my call/thread/forum.

JL350 likes this.
  23. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #10448 miurasv, Dec 4, 2021
    You are wrong. I have not attacked anyone at all with vitriol and I do welcome anyone to challenge or question the content in any of my posts. You have never been able to question a single thing in any of my posts as you clearly know nothing of the subject and have done zero research regarding it. You have posted a number of snide remarks in an attempt to diminish my posts without anything to back those snide remarks up.

Texas Forever and tomgt like this.
  24. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I rest my case.

Vincent Vangool likes this.
  25. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    You only rest your case when you show clear evidence that Steve's own clear evidence is incorrect.

Simply post up links to post numbers in the past where you have done so will suffice