1985 308 GTS question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1985 308 GTS question

Discussion in '308/328' started by Classicexoticgirl, Nov 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    In Cleveland, OH there is a really great place called All Ferrari Parts. They have an amazing amount of parts for older Ferraris and they have at least a dozen Ferraris there at all times. NJB is highly recommended for the work and All Ferrari Parts will have your parts. The owner has several 308s. Good luck and keep us posted, a black 308 is my all time favorite!

2. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thanks for the info. I called NJB yesterday, a person by the name of Jack called me back but it was to late for me to catch up with him. I’m going to call him back this morning to see if they can do the PPI for me or know a Ferrari Mechanic who can. The All Ferrari Parts place sounds like a good number to have on hand. I like this car too! I have watched the videos they have sent me over and over. If it passes the inspection I think it will be the perfect car for what I want to use it for. I will keep you posted.

3. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    dear Cfazio348

the fact that it will not pass CA smog can be an issue. I know they can and do pass CA smog. So that excuse on Craigslist simply means they haven’t tried hard enough. Balancing the COS lean and hydrocarbons is not difficult. If the cats are not good - you’d want to know why.

Have a proper PPI done to uncover issues like hose replacements, suspension bushings, valve issues, clutch, brakes etc.

Classicexoticgirl likes this.
  4. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Please don’t let mileage discourage you. I know a 1979 308 that was risky and commute driven to 180,000 miles. The engine is being replaced with a 3.6L engine build that should make close to or more than 400 HP.
    Once sorted these can be indestructible - the more you drive the better they are. These older thoroughbreds don’t like to sit idle.

dinogt4guy and miketuason like this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    matching numbers is big in the Porsche world - especially with 356 models. when cars get so cheap and ubiquitous that you can swap engines and gear boxes - like 356's were... finding a car with the original engine and gearbox in the same chassis is rare. So I guess that could be the same for Muscle cars..? I'm not sure that Ferrari's have been to that level yet, there just was not enough of them made.

6. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    I have read that many times, they are meant to be driven. The PPI is being done this morning so I hope the car checks out well.

7. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    We have a 1969 Chevelle. Bought it a few years back, full frame off restoration. A whole different kind of fun and driving experience. Most of the car shows have fully restored cars and I haven’t come across to many completely original with matching numbers engines. They’re out there of course, usually very well taken care of collector cars and they are might be worth more money but I’m not sure. This will be my first Ferrari, had a Porsche 996 which was a great driver.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I hope enjoy the Ferrari. The 308's are great cars, but coming from a 996, the reliability will be less, and you have to figure in some downtime - and less usability. if you get one with the Euro Spoiler - you have to be Extremely careful as its very easy to crack ( I was constantly cracking mine - on speed humps, potholes curbs etc... if your front suspension is at all weak - you will bottom out quite a bit... its just the fun of 308's!

the other two things that will be annoying is Overheating - its just a 308 thing - they don't like hot stop-and-go traffic. its hard to keep them cool in modern traffic. ensure the pump, and radiator are in great condition early on - that will boost the enjoyment factor.

electrics are weak -that is normal. Otherwise, the 308 is a strong car, easy to work on ( in Ferrari terms ) and fun to drive. oh yea, AC is horrible... not much that can be done... in my experience, they were great in the spring and fall... even in the cold of winter... summer not so much.

9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think it is nice to have a 400HP 308, but the rest of the car is not up to the task especially a gts. you'd be better off doing a 360 or 430...

10. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thanks for the information. I’ve heard the air conditioning is pretty weak, a problem for summer driving in Phoenix, AZ. It sounds like there may be a few months in the summer here where it will do best very early morning or later in the evenings. I don’t think driving it in stop and go traffic while it’s 116 degrees will be very comfortable. For the car and whoever is driving it. It is an older classic car so I do expect that. I have my daily for that kind of driving in the heat.

Can you upgrade the air in these cars at all or is it to taxing on the car? Or is it best to be leave it alone and original?

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    You really can't do much with it, but if it hasn't been converted to R12 - if you can find a way to refill, don't convert to 134.

12. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    It already has been converted to 134

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    So has mine.... honestly, not the end of the world. With the top on, call it "bearable". ;)

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    A 328 might be a better choice for the hot summer as far as the engine is concerned, The 328 cooling system is bulletproof and will handle 116F in stalled traffic all day long. AC is of equal quality to the 308..bad. ;)

15. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Yeah, I can work with whatever it’s like….I figure we don’t really seek these cars out and buy them for the A/C, it’s more of a perk if you get one that works marginally.

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Hmmm ...... My leaking radiator, and the corrosion inside the header tank would suggest to me that the cooling system isn't totally "bulletproof" :D

( Both due to sorted over the Winter months )

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    If the PO had changed the coolant regularly, I'll be that wouldn't have happened! :)

18. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    My two little data points:

1. I had my factory radiator disassembled and the core cleaned (not replaced). I had thought my system was pristine but the shop said my radiator was 50% blocked. Cleaning ("rodding") the core has helped tremendously with keeping things cool.

2. The a/c evaporator can get very cold. That says there is opportunity to blow more air through it to scavenge more heat from the cabin. Increasing the blower throughput is one relatively straightforward improvement to the a/c. There are threads on how to replace the factory blower motor with the Spal 300000463.

Classicexoticgirl and dinogt4guy like this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I completely agree with you. Redoing the Rad is a great idea, and flushing the cooling system often helps. you need more flow in the 308's vs. 328's ... bigger impeller or upgraded water pump helps. but they will always be on the "warm side" .

for the AC - if you can keep to R-12 that helps, or completely re-do the system for 134... but it's a capacity thing. a bigger fan in the cabin can help too. when you are driving and moving it's not too bad. your knee and the right side will be cool - cold and the left side burning.

putting some UV ceramic protection on ALL the glass can help a bit. but once the cabin gets superheated.. you are pretty much stuck. they were just never designed for good AC, as its a 70's design, and AC was not widely used in Italy...

The rake of the windshield is a great solarium... so its hard to beat the heat. clear UV coating helped a lot in my 328 - which was great when moving - almost too cold, but warmed up in stop and go. you have to cycle the compressor to keep up cooling, and get air through the condenser... that is main issue. I don't know if anyone has done a modern retrofit through Classic air etc... its a VERY tight fit in the front. also for CORK tape that is used to seal the expansion valve - buy a Model Railroad road bed ... the self striking kind its the exact same stuff, but at 1/30th the price.

20. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
  21. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Yes, I bought the car! After an excellent PPI, I pulled the trigger. This will be my first Ferrari and it’s being picked up mid next week and shipped to me. I’m really looking forward to getting it. Another member from this group helped me arrange shipping so I would get the car sooner than all the other quotes I received. It like it’s going to show up right before Christmas. I joined this group to gain knowledge about the cars and I have to say everybody has been very helpful and I’ve learned a lot! Great group of people on here.

dinogt4guy, kcsun, djs308 and 6 others like this.
  22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Congrats on closing the deal! I'm sure you will love the 308 experience.

Do keep involved here, everyone is very helpful with answering questions and for suggestions.

Gordon

cfazio348 and Classicexoticgirl like this.
  23. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thank you! I plan on staying involved. I’m more than happy to share my experiences with others and help out if I can. The people in this group were very helpful. Especially being a “rookie” I still have lots to learn!

cfazio348 likes this.
  24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #49 miketuason, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    Kerry, just to let you know when I bought my 84 QV almost 16 years ago, it already had 67k miles and now it has nearly 89k miles and she’s still running like new car. So like what other said mileage is not that important, it’s the whole condition of the car and how it was maintained and cared for and if it’s maintained properly and regularly, this car will go a long, long, long way.

Congrats on on your new to you Ferrari 308, it will put a smile on your face everytime you drive it and be aware people wand other driver will be looking at you as drive by them and ones in a while you’ll get some Magnum PI comments and lots of thumbs up so enjoy.:)

25. Classicexoticgirl

Nov 26, 2021
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Kerry Giffen
    Thanks Mike! A lot of people in this group assured me that these cars can go a long way when properly maintained. I don’t mind it having higher mileage because it’s been very well taken care of, the previous owner must have enjoyed it and driven quite a bit. I was more apprehensive about buying a car this age with hardly any miles on it after I’ve learned that those cars can tend to have the most issues from just sitting around.

There are a lot of really cool/nice cars where I live. The climate (except for summer) is perfect for driving classic cars, super cars, you name it but there are only one or two 308’s that I’m even aware of in the whole valley and I’ve never seen one in the wild. We do have a lot of car shows here also. I went to a cars and coffee last Saturday (Scuderia Southwest, lots of Ferrari and Lambo) and I saw my first one. It was an 82’ in red. I think these cars are so nostalgic and beautiful. I like driving something that isn’t common and I love classics. I’m okay with Magnum PI comments, I expect to hear some;)

dinogt4guy and miketuason like this.