348 Clutch Grease RePack Question | FerrariChat

348 Clutch Grease RePack Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by POLO35, Dec 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Hey guys my car has developed the dreaded hot start problem and I'm convinced it's the clutch voith needing to be repacked. However, while researching the various prceedures and opinions I came across someone on another site claiming that there is a zerk fitting which allows one to pump grease directly into the pack....has anyone heard if this and/or where this fitting might be located? Sure would be cool if it's true. I often thought it would be cool if it would be possible to install a grease fitting for maintenance regreasing.
    Here is the thread claiming such a fitting:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No such thing, It would also be 4 zerk fittings and if course there is no where to put then as it is pressed between layers, The inspection window shows the clutch plates, the voith is not visible it way in the back of the pumpkin. You would also need to clean it out first, pumping grease into a voith that has fluid leaking into it from the triple seals makes no sense. You need to disassemble and clean it, chances are there is fluid on the clutch plates as well. Disassembly is mandatory.

Bertil and MAD828 like this.
  3. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    That's exactly what I thought but the person that posted that seemed very knowledgeable and his other suggestions like for example cleaning or replacing the Crank sensors, cleaning the cam sensor connection and starting the car in gear when hot all were inline with common belief.
    I'm definitely going to do the job, I've got the ring nut tool ordered, the grease, new triple seals and a new impact driver! These cars are ridiculous.....but I love em.

Qavion likes this.
  4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Someone here claims there is a zerk fitting on a 348/355? I have never seen a fitting like that ANYWHERE on the car, let alone a spinning Voith damper.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The person who said that likely is regurgitating information they read, then started to add-lib. There are also some o-rings needing replacement, one really big one.

6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Having just done this for a 348 Spider there is no way you can just squeeze grease into the two threaded holes, as @Ferrarium stated there are 6 areas the grease needs to be and the clutch plate once pressed into the Voith will block the grease from getting into all these areas. The main reason for doing the regrease is to clean out the contaminated grease anyway.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    looks good!, super clean! I am going to replace the whole clutch pack assy, grease the Voith and do the TOB after I get my car back running.

MAD828 likes this.
  8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    With the cars the age they are this is the best way to go. This car also received the Hill Engineering throw out and updated flange.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Ah those threaded holes.... are there to press the flywheel off the damper.

10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I know that. I have done this job a few times. The OP was asking if those threaded holes are ok to insert grease into the Voith without opening it.

Attached Files:

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Do you recall the bolt size? Think I have some in my md clutch kit but not sure. They may mention it in the video if not.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    These came with my MD Voith rebuild kit many years ago. They are not standard thread. Will check what they are when I can.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    10mm x 1mm

Qavion likes this.
  14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Op,

Boy does the op bring back memories. Ferrari never told us the fw was serviceable nor did they have a service interval. But they sold the Kluber grease and fill amount. In the early days only a few of us took these apart to see inside and service them. I seem to remember before taking these apart forcing grease into those 2 holes under pressure with a grease gun. I seem to remember that does work for a very short time. But so short that we eventually had to open them up. This is a vague memory for me. I did a lot of the earliest work on the driveline including the only known modification of stock system to convert to lightened solid flywheel getting rid of the guts and grease with race proven no ill effects. If your gearbox is in the ex-Ernie mobile I coached Ernie in that rebuild. Your gearbox was integral in the 348 brotherhood and the birth of the stooges.

ernie likes this.
  15. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #15 348Jeff, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2021
    steved033 likes this.
  16. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    #16 POLO35, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    Yes sir...the previous owner fitted it with the relay mod. As much as I'm dreading doing this job, my heart tells me it is the grease issue because when starting hot, it literally sounds like the flywheel is missing teeth as it skips and struggles to start.

17. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    I think Fatbilly has confirmed what my original post was and that was..... is it is the possible to pump grease into there. So if you could put a zirk fitting into that 10x1mm hole and pump grease, under pressure, in theory some of it would channel its way in there but apparently it is only a short term fix.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You forgot that the definition of Stooges, especially the original Three Stooges, is that they first have to be hacks. The forcing grease into the holes not meant for zirk fittings is one of the ultimate hacks that did not work. We should send this to the Myth Busters to see if they can prove or disprove it.

19. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Excellent Video on how to do it here:

20. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Thank you....Yes that is the video I'll be using to guide the job. My hot start issue, and the horrible racket it makes, make me wonder if I might have a broken spring or 2.....I will definitely post back once I get it open.

21. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    One last question. The MD clutch fellow refers to using a "special wide spine torx" as opposed to an ordinary torx when removing the actual voith cover....does anyone know what this tool is actually called ....all I have is a regular ordinary torx bits. He does say it is an m8.

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #22 Ferrarium, Dec 14, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    They are RIBE 8M. Do not use Polydrive or Torx or Torx plus. Use a Ribe. Ribe bits have squared splines.

From another member years back I kept this, it not mine bit I kept it bookmarked. He mentioned if you magnify the bolt, they are marked.

[​IMG]

ernie likes this.
  23. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Ahhhh, thank you....I couldn't understand the fellow in the video!

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    He did not mention it in the video is why.

25. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Crazy I've been wrenching on cars For 40 years and this is the 1st time I've heard of this tool! This is my 2nd Ferrari too! Actually, I rewatched the video and he does mention the socket tool 13 minutes in! But I believe he calls it a Reno tool? He does warn you an ordinary spine socket will ruin the bolt!