Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series | Page 49 | FerrariChat

Pista-STO- 765LT- AMG Black series

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Does it have room for bags? If so, it would make for a great long distance cruiser. My preference would be an 812 for this but if you can fit bags that would be fun.

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Depending on what comes next it could be quite collectible I think.

3. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Cars n Coffee crowd…. Yippee

Coincid likes this.
  4. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Il Tifoso, buddyg, Jo Sta7 and 5 others like this.
  5. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    We managed 5 days before needing reinforcements (my son brought a luggage change to us!). Could have done whole 10 days in the 812 no problem. And that engine…. Depends if you want speed and precision or sound and luggage!! Choices choices. SF90 is not a cruisy car though, the AF ride is a bit like a GT3 RS. We’ve done a 3k mile roadtrip in both so the idea of long distance cruiser is a bit blurred in our household :)

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    @Lukeylikey thanks for your informative posts, as some here needs to justify their choice of cars to insist themselves and others over and over again that it is the right choice not only for them but for all (which in the end just serves to be contra productive imo), you always give very good informative posts on first hand experience which serves to actually enlighten forum readers (at least me) :)

@Lukeylikey have you driven the 812C?

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    What would make it collectible? The second Ferrari hybrid? Not a limited production . The next generation of Ferraris will be hybrids and ostensibly better looking with enhanced performance. Nothing about the SF90 indicates collectibility.

maxemus, LMH and FLGT like this.
  8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Eh, it's limited enough. It plays in an interesting space below hypercar but above supercar. It's really the first Ferrari ever made that competes directly against the aventador in it's design intent. If what comes next doesn't do that then it will always have a great appeal.

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #1209 Coincid, Dec 21, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Competes directly aganst the Aventador in its design intent?- Could not be further from an Aventador in every metric- Appearance, transmission-, power plant-all ICE V12 vs hybrid V8, sound, driving dynamics, etc, etc. The Aventador marks the end of an era. The SF90 represents the dawn of a new one. Cars of the former often become collectibles. The cars of the latter era become quickly outdated due to the rapid advancements in the new technology.

gliazzurri, LMH and Shack like this.
  10. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    It’s very clear you dislike the SF 90 - it won’t be leaving my collection. From a performance standpoint it’s still better than anything on the road.

Lukeylikey, Boomhauer and Ash Patel like this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Since I have not driven the SF90, I am in no position to comment on its performance.You make a very bold, categorical statement about the SF90 performance.Curious as to which cars have you personally driven in order to substantiate the claim about anything on the road.

12. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Just about everything including svj, sto, my sf90, my pista, my 911 tts, numerous 720s, and both street and track driving - only thing in that league I haven’t is the 765lt. Did I leave something out or do you have more quips about how bad the sf90 is.

Ash Patel, Boomhauer and mkraft3003 like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You did leave some out (Porsche GT series- Ferrari 812 GTS ) but otherwise, a good assortment. Main thing, is you are happy with the SF90. Ultimately, that is all that matters.

Rrr1 likes this.
  14. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    No one should ever let me drive their 812, and honestly I would be scared in a GT. I like having some electronic assist for when I get a little to comfortable…. This was from the last track day - hurt to see a new 812 hit the wall.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    So have you tracked your STO yet? How does it stack up against some of the others in your arsenal? I’d be interested in your feedback as I have yet to track mine mine but have several upcoming opportunities.

All I have at this juncture are Shmee videos (plus a few others) and unreleased Nurburgring track times.

And yes I’ve had the chance to run the 812 SF at Concours Miami a few laps, but wouldn’t be my car of choice for that kind of driving.

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Not yet. I do have an allocation though. We have a Superfast TM which I can’t really sell, a GTS which is just brilliant and so I can’t really sell, and soon the Competizione. 3 x 812s is too much really but I can’t choose. Our garage is getting really crowded so I may have to drop a car or two. Just got first allocation for a GT3 so might drop the 2RS but that could be a big mistake…

mikesufka and Ash Patel like this.
  17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for the writeup nice to hear from someone who owns one and has driven the other cars. Looking forward to getting mine!

dolphins08430 and Ash Patel like this.
  18. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Damn that some cars you've got, I knew you had some, but it will be next level with 3 x 812

I've cancelled STO and will be getting a 812C to pair up with my 458 and Superleggera. Nothing compared to your level of collection but I'm still "young" and have to start somewhere :) (not saying you're old though, I have no idea)

Talking about collection -->Please share a pic or two or a ton of your garage :cool:

mikesufka likes this.
  19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Biggest mistake :)

Spider68 and Gh21631 like this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #1220 Lukeylikey, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    Thanks, early 50’s and still young! I have a couple of recent iPhone pics rather than with a nice camera. We’re having some work done in our garage so the cars had to sit outside and I took the opportunity to take a pic. It’s hard not to, isn’t it? The SF90 is in the shop for a while (my fault not the car’s) and we also have a 992 C4S, a Taycan Turbo S and a Subaru STI Cosworth with 400hp. It’s a small collection in the scheme of things but each car either has a use or a story for us. We spec’d them all from new except the 2RS which we bought with 17 miles on it, the F512M and the ‘73 E. To give you an idea about the pace of the SF90 over ground, the Pista, Speciale, 812s, GT2 RS, GT3 RS, 488 Spider (last two previously owned) would all be pretty close on a road trip and with the way fast road driving works, the slower cars are not so slow as they can’t keep up. The SF90 just walks away from them all. Is it the best car among them? Not sure, but I don’t think so. It’s perhaps the most surprising because of how brilliant it is to drive. My impression was always that massive power always brings a downside in terms of weight, packaging, usability, where the downsides outweighed the power advantages. Here the equation is balanced in favour of the added power - the downsides don’t outweigh the power benefit in terms of the car being a true driver’s car.

So why is it perhaps not the best? I think it is possibly too limited in its use to be considered the best car. I don’t own a LaFerrari but I remember following one on the Mille Miglia. The guy hardly ever took it out, even on the Mille Miglia he couldn’t easily push it because of its size and value. The SF90 is a little like that. We drove it 3k miles across Spain and Portugal this year and it needed a military operation and a variety of props, not to mention holding up traffic, to get it in and out of city car parks. The luggage space is small, which is not to say impossible but planning is a needed. And the level of mental capacity required to operate it is higher than, say, for a Pista. People argue whether it is really a hyper car and in this sense it is; you can’t just get in it and go without a thought. You need to think about where you’re going, what’s you’re going to do, the roads and obstacles you will encounter and where you leave it when you arrive. An 812 or Pista has much less of this. If I had no sentimental attachment to any of the cars and had to choose one to keep, it would definitely be in the running but I may end up going for the GTS which covers so many bases. It’s not the fastest but I don’t need that anymore - it’s still plenty fast, has scintillating sound, 12 cylinders, an open roof, an old-modern vibe, takes luggage and looks beautiful. Not a track car but it would still be fun there if you had to. I’d really miss the mid-engined thing though. A non-AF SF90 Spider could be a very hard one car garage to beat.

I’m thankful I don’t have to keep to one special car but it would still be a privilege if I did - just owning one of these is quite a special thing. Why did I choose these cars? My two favourite sports car brands are Ferrari and Porsche. Our garage covers front-engined coupe, mid coupe, rear coupe, front open-top, mid open and (soon) rear open, front track special, mid track special, rear track special, flat four turbo, flat six n/a, flat six turbo, flat 12 n/a, V12 n/a, V8 n/a, V8 turbo, V8 turbo hybrid and EV, 70’s, 90’s, 00’s, 10’s and 20’s (missing the 80’s but the 512M is really an 80’s car). I would love to add an F40 one day and maybe a modern hyper Ferrari. Who knows if the opportunity for that will come. In the meantime, it’s a lovely but expensive hobby. At least for now, the value in the garage is more or less what we put into it over the years with some sold at a loss, some at a profit and guesstimating the value of current cars. Perhaps on that basis I can consider I had loads of fun without destroying too much value. A bargain then?….:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3256671

NewYorkLego, Texas2step, LMH and 14 others like this.
  21. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What can I say, you have good taste in cars, love it, thanks for the pics

LMH and Lukeylikey like this.
  22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Gorgeous cars congrats on your success!

LMH and Lukeylikey like this.
  23. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I got a STO update from my dealer yesterday. It’s on the boat and scheduled to deliver on Jan 20th.

Boomhauer, ScrappyB, Gh21631 and 4 others like this.
  24. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    . That’s great news. Did you ever get a tunnel of lights pic? Maybe we’ll soon get a peek of the rumored Tecnica.

PS. I finally got mine back from the PPF shop. These cars are a real bear to wrap.

Attached Files:

25. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    No tunnel of lights pic. The Unica app still shows “On Order”. Thanks for reminding me about the PPF, I need to get my appointment scheduled now that I have a firm delivery date.