Weight Lifting techniques and tips | FerrariChat

Weight Lifting techniques and tips

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Skidkid, Nov 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    OK, I am making great advances. At this point, the focus on form and mind-body connection is critical to my lifts. I can activate specific muscles with what could be easy exercises if I let them be and make them very hard. The back has done great. Legs are coming along. Bicep is now 18" so very good. Shoulders have gained a lot and they are ripped but what are you doing that helps build more volume?

I have been doing overhead press, standing with an Olympic bar, seated military press, and a variety of other things. OHP is on the brink of 135.

We are now including more frequent recovery periods. BUT during the recovery we doing volume so they aren't easy, even if the weight isn't near max. Maybe that isn't perfect so please feel free to comment.

What are you working on? What are your goals? Let's share ideas, routines, exercises, etc.

paulchua likes this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    All you can do is eat more protein, vary your lifts, recover and back it. Theres always HGH for more volume as well. :) Personally my shoulders have responded well to heavy dumbbell presses - much better than barbell. My shoulders are relatively weak (70lb dumbbells) is as high as I go but Ill max out with 5 to 6 reps every 2nd shoulder workout. When I say weak, this is in comparison to my other body parts.

Skidkid likes this.
  3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do eat pretty well. I don't use HGH or anything else in that vein. I do db press, often single arm. I am tall and thin so I have never had the big boxy lock. I am long & thin so I get very ripped/defined; bulk is hard on my frame.

Gh21631 likes this.
  4. I think one thing to keep in mind, esp. with shoulders, is not to overwork them.

Basic laws of biology and physiology tells us that hypertrophy is required to build muscle. And in order for hypertrophy to work you need to allow for sufficient recovery and rest.

With the shoulder muscles, it is a complex that is involved in almost every other upper body movement one does, from pull ups, rows, push ups, bench presses, etc.

So then focusing on a targeted shoulder complex increases the risk of overtraining them, which minimizes the possibility of hypertrophy and growth in the shoulder.

One thing you might think about trying is not to have a specific "shoulder" workout (or shoulder workout day); instead to simply incorporate shoulder finishing exercises on your other body part days.

One finishing shoulder exercise I really like, as it's very different from most popular shoulder routines (presses, raises, etc.) is the shoulder "uppercut" exercise, which you can see from the video below. The video uses a barbell plate, but I prefer using a kettlebell.

TL;DR Don't overwork the shoulder, less is more, try the shoulder "uppercut" exercise below

Good luck, hope that helps.

AtomicPunk88, Skidkid and Gh21631 like this.
  5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Great advice and thank you. I haven't done that exercise so will give it a try. And yes, I have strained a shoulder a bit doing bicep curls with a curl bar. You aren't exactly using the shoulder but it is in tension and when curling heavy ... well, you get the point. I will also change up, reduce/remove, shoulder specific days so they get a bit more recovery and report back on that.

6. DanD.

DanD. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2015
    Chicago, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Also try adding in a few exercises focusing on the posterior deltoids like high pulls on the cable machine or using a rear delt machine. These really help to round out the shoulders and give them that extra volume you're looking for.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do those. I also do chin-ups keeping the elbows straight out to the sides to build out the lats. I do lawnmowers with up to 100's, typically 80's or 90's are max. My back is pretty strong and the rear of the shoulder is getting full. Bicep measured out at 18 yesterday with a good pump on.

In the category of HOLY CRA... There was a guy at the gym today doing deadlifts. He pulled 515 for 6 and didn't break a sweat. He worked up to 765 for 2. The interesting part is he wasn't taking time between the lifts until he was to the max for the day. He did the 515 in succession, set it down and up it goes again. He didn't look that big but clearly the numbers say differently. But yes, he was in his early to mid 20's.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan likes this.
  8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I should have been clear about the pic. That is me doing obliques as a shoulder stretch on a chest day; I think that is a 70. I wasn't working back that day, just happened to get a decent pic from my trainer.

9. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Weight training and that entire industry is how I make my living...
    Stop doing oiblique training; it will make your waist become more muscular/bigger. Ab training is what it's all about as it's both functional (important as wwe get older) and also what defines your look the most.
    Great channels for lifting advice are:
    Mike van Wyck
    Mountain Dog (John Meadows)
    Both guys have a 'scary' look for some, but are straight up information goldmine's in a smoke screen riddled industry of "know-it-alls'.

wrs likes this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I do a lot of abs. Plated obliques are generally an auxiliary to stretch out the shoulders on chest or shoulder days. My waist is far from large, at 6'6" a 33 is loose on me. But help me understand a bit more please. Working one muscle group and ignoring the adjoining muscle groups appears to be a recipe for disaster. It would be akin to working the chest and not working the back because the chest is more obvious.

I will check out their information and post up an abs pic when I get a chance to take something reasonable. I don't have that kind of six-pack but it is definitely trim and defined.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
  12. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Again, I would seriously ditch the plated obliques; even when mentioning yuou are doing them to stretch an entire differnet region. There are better exercises to do so.
    You have a great physique which is well defined, I would however focus first on lowerr abs and than upper abs. Obliques get enough stimulation from regular ab work; if done correctly.
    Key with ab work is doing it corrrectly. Choose exercises that cause you fatique in the 12-25 rep range. anything above that and you're eitehr doing the exrcise wrong or it becomes cardio.
    Abs react very well on 'heavy training'. Like hanging legg raises or V-ups. In most gys across the world I see 99,99% of epope, train abs incorrect. They are all about proper breathing and thus focus. No focus means zero results.
    From all my work and training with top trainers and body builders (I am friends and have trainined with the past 20 years Mr Olymipia's) I can tell you virtually no one does oblique training.
    Oblique training is only required for very sports specific training. Your abs take up the biggest part of stabalizing your core. Obliques get enough stimulation. there is zero worry for a muscle imbalance. So comparing it to chest and back is apples vs pears.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I have found varying my routines has made a big difference. Two years ago I was doing *push-leg-pull-day off* for about 3 months and my elbows begged for mercy (I’m 56). So I changed to a 5 day routine:
    chest-tri-abs-calves
    Back-bi-forearms
    Legs-abs
    Shoulders-and then 2 sets of bi-to-forearm to reinforce what was done on days 1 & 2.
    Day off.
    My joints are much better for it.
    About every other months or so I change it up to a cycle of “centenary sets” (100 reps per set per muscle) x 1-2 sets. I make the first weight get me to about 25 reps then drop set up to 100 reps without any breaks...really burns and pumps.
    I also vary it by occasionally doing 1 muscle per day and do 20 sets with doing just one type of exercise (db chest slight incline for 4 sets at highest weight to get ~10 reps, drop weight and do another 4 sets, continue to 20 sets). It’s just fun to shake things up or it becomes to routine.

About to hit the gym now and do 20 sets of tri. :)

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  14. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Some good ideas there. I do a lot of drop sets as well, particularly toward the end of the workout to finish off the pump. While I do many of the same exercises I don't think I have done the same workout routine twice in over 2 years. We are constantly mixing it up.

italiafan likes this.
  15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Thank you and fair points. The picture is a bit misleading (upper vs lower abs). My lowest ribs stick out a bit and my lower abs are VERY long (anatomy, remember I am 6'6"). Combine that with the angle and it looks a bit distorted. I do a lot of lower abs and the exercises you listed. For size reference, when pumped and flexed my bicep is 18"; I know they don't look like it in the pic. The the upper chest looks really flat in the pic too but it is not really flat, just really long compared to many.

16. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’d love to hear some ab ideas. I noticed my left groin really aching (strained) from doing crunches with my feet fixed under a bar.
    Right now I’m using cable pull-down ab crunches, but I do set of 50...I should being doing something differently?
    I’d appreciate any help you can offer.
    Thanks!

17. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Let's hear what he has to say, I too am interested in new moves.

I have found that you can end up non-uniform pretty easily. I am right handed but my right shoulders and chest were lagging the left. OK, maybe part of it is old injuries but still. We started doing single handed exercises with weights; think dumbbell military, etc. I also make sure I am focused on pathing for the bar and uniform muscle activation. It takes concentration as he noted but it has produced results. I would not say things are uniform yet but it has dramatically improved. NOTE: machines and cable tend to let you compensate if you aren't 100% focused on the movement and muscles being activated.

italiafan likes this.
  18. One of the best ways to work your abs, and to increase your overall core strength, stability, and muscle balance, is with kettlebells.

The Turkish Getup is probably the best exercise for this.

The link below has a series of good kettlebell exercises for abs and the core.

https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/kettlebell-ab-exercises/

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I don't use kettlebells much. By now, I have taken so much back damage there are limits on what I will do stressing the lower back and most kettlebell moves are not very protective of the lower back. Plus, if the kettlebell is very heavy you run a lot of risk to the rotator cuff. I do know there is a trend, including the exercises you linked, to make very complex moves to work more muscle groups. By the same measure, if these are not executed in great form you run a high risk of injury. If you only lift weights then you probably want to incorporate more complex movements. If you do other sports, etc. you probably get a lot of those movements already. So in general, I am not a fan because of the risk-return ratio.

20. Yeah, that's unfortunate about your back.

I find kettlebells really enjoyable as I can get a cardio and weight lifting session in one training session. Plus, it's great metabolic conditioning.

But to go back to your point, I think any exercise done without proper form runs the risk of great injury, even something as basic as a biceps curl.

Here's hoping your back continues to improve.

21. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Fair point about form. I am a big proponent of form and there is so much terrible form out there. My back isn't that bad right now but WAY too many motorcycle crashes over many years (head on, broadsided twice, and countless others) combined with many sports injuries, falls, etc. and it takes a toll. By the time you tick up 60 some of these will never be 100% again but you just keep moving because the alternative isn't any fun at all. :)

I also agree about the cardio. Complex movements tend to do that better. Of course my lifting isn't your average pace. I work a circuit anywhere from 4 to 8 forms and move from one to another without a break. My trainer tells me he plans 2x the number of circuits for me than he does for anyone else; he also can't keep up with my pace even though he is much stronger. I always looked at it as cardio and if a muscle group needed a bit more recovery before the next set, just add another exercise for a different muscle group.

22. Sounds you got it figured out.

60 injuries? Whoa, that’s more than the lives of six cats combined. :D

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    No, age is 60. Way more than 60 injuries. It comes with the territory whey adrenaline is your drug of choice.

24. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Here’s a great video that has John doing sit ups correctly. If you do these fully focussed on the contraction and isolating abs, you should not be able to do more than 25 repetitions. Doing more and you are either olympic material or you are training lower tendons and not abs.

Fixing your feet shifts the load towards your hip flexors which are far more stronger than your abs. Hence why you strained yourself.
    When training abs fully focussed it is impossible to strain your ab muscle; it’s 100% of the case a flexor.

I do cable ab pull downs as well. Do them with 80 pounds and can do about 15-20 reps fully, fully focussed until I gas out and my abs are burning and cramping.

JJ and italiafan like this.
  25. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Try to do hanging leg raises.
    Or if you want to be the bad @ss of the gym try to do/learn one of the most awe inspiring exercises you can do. Made popular by Bruce Lee only to be made even cooler by Stallone… The Dragon Flagg!

Being so tall isn’t very favorable for weight training. I’m 6,2 but notice my lower back has become an issue as well after 30 years of weight training with the first doing too much stupid $@%$! But we learn as we get older and I have had the privilege of learning from the best coaches and athletes.

JJ, Skidkid and italiafan like this.