C8 Z06 | Page 32 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The Z06 may in fact not be everyone's cup of tea from the normal Corvette crowd. They are used to torque on the bottom end. But going up almost a full liter from the 458 motor should help, as does 675 HP. The 458 isn't the torquiest engine out there which is why Ferrari downsided it and added turbos on the 488.

For me, the twin cam motor is a thrill. I can't wait. But you do have a point. It will be interesting to see the first real reviews.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Personally, I don't think torque figured into the equation as to why Ferrari added turbos when they designed the 488. The hp wars were on and adding turbos is an easy solution to make high hp and still meet efficiency requirements. It's basically the same reason McLaren were doing the same thing.

tfazio and of2worlds like this.
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    for the cows here, steeped in high rev euro machine art Tue z06 hits a spot.
    Not sure that applies to all 20k who ordered one, or that they understand the nature of the beast. That’s why imo when the e Rey and and zr1 come on stream zo6 take up will
    Decline significantly. Those other two cars will hit the spot far better for most who beat a premium very high hp road Vette. Even on bragging rights the zr1 will be the thing.

the reality of living with a z06 over one of the other 3 versions of the c8 will limit its appeal once the others are online. Right now it’s just the next hottest Vette.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    we can say the. That the Tunis came in also because legislation meant there was not really more hp to come in a na layout. Once the first company went tubo(maclaren) the paper delta to the na Ferrari was too hard to ignore.
    What was list of course was precise throttle reponse and application with also sound. Turns out that the punters didn’t care, sim much more ho was hard to ignore.
    Only lambo has held out this far, I think that party development budget but also they realized that they had a na niche to themselvs in that segment.

porche brought back the na motor to the boxster and never fully bandines it or the stick in the 911.
    They understand if you’re going to make sports cars there are drivers who wnat the. As aooosed to faster gt cars, and there is a premium market to serve.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    HP wars are really 0-60 wars.

6. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    The zr1 could be z06 engine with eray electric motor. Will be heavy but atill interesting. Probably out perform 918

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Reports are that it isn't. They are using the Stingray motor.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    So how so they differentiate zr1 from eray? Turbo? Seems like much bigger project than just using existing z06.

9. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Zora is twin turbo V8 and electric motor up front. ZR1 is twin turbo V8.
    E-Ray is irrelevant to me.

TheMayor likes this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Eray has 3 electric motors like the Ferrari 296

11. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    We are a long way away from the ZR1 (4 years or more), IMHO. Assuming they start actually building and selling Z06's in 2nd/3rd quarter 2022 (as a 2023 model), I think it will be calendar year 2023 before they actually do a formal announcement of the "e-Ray", so as to not spoil the Z06 roll out. The e-Ray will be a 2024MY car.

The above is my GUESS (except the Z06 build/sell times) and worth exactly what you paid for it!

12. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    If I may add to the above:
    I think the C8 is going to have a long tenure in the market because of all the slow downs during it's initial roll out. We're 3 years in now and people are still waiting 12-16 months for cars. Maybe we see the C9 in 2030?
    As far as the "Zora", I'm not sure such a car will be built. I've always thought that the ZR1 would be TT LT6 with front motors. If that turns out to be the case, then what could GM possibly make to be above that, unless they go hog wild with carbon fiber/exotic metals everywhere to get the weight down and have a $200K+ MSRP before options.
    That's a tough ask, in my opinion, to have a car in the same model line that is 3 times+ the price of the base car (although Porsche gets away with it...;))

13. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    ZR1 has twin turbo LT6, Zora has that and electric motor in front.

boxerman likes this.
  14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Zora will have 1000+ hp. The key will be keeping the weight below 3800 pounds. Will be difficult abs require much more carbon in the chassis.

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    under 4000 will be incredible achievement for them.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Weight for zr1 and e Rey will be irrelevant. Those cars will be all about headline numbers
    Namely acceleration and maybe a single lap.

the z06 is the one for track “endurance”
    The other two are all about road performance, luxury etc.

95spiderman likes this.
  17. Bluesky1

Bluesky1 Rookie

Sep 5, 2020
    Reports also said that the Z06 was going to be TT or only have 600hp. We know how that turned out.

Some people are guessing the ZR1 will be TT with the LT6 engine. Just people guessing though.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    My understanding
    Zo6 670 na flat plane quad cam
    E Rey classic sbc with electric motors of 150 ho. So 650 total.
    Zr1 same block and heads as z06 with bent crank and two turbos 800+ hp.
    Zora zr1 motor with e Rey eletrics.

Thecadster likes this.
  19. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    I have no idea why the LT1 would be part of the Eray. So far the only indication of this if seen is the exhaust on what is most commonly accepted as an unwrapped mule car.

I would think a V6 would be at home in that car. The Cadillac line has some great options. Less displacement, great sound and readily available.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #795 boxerman, Dec 22, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    lt1 cheap to make, sound, part of the Vette brand and with electrics fuel efficiency.

why go to the cost and hassle or a camer v6
    You’re not saving weight, it sounds insipid and is not cheap to make.
    It’s not as though the short length of the v6 will confer any benefit in a car with the wheelbase for a v8 already.

what benefit could a v6 possibly confer in this package. A modern v6 prob costs more to make than an lt1, it’s probably no lighter, maybe it’s marginally more fuel Effcient but has a tq deficiency and as mentioned it’s shorter length will convert no benefit inan existing wheelbase. Plus the ?6 lacks the sound or tq. They could go turbo 4 too with 400 hp which woukd loose weight, but why.

A smaller engines main advantage is to make a smaller package/chassis and in this case the package is already cast stone:

k wright likes this.
  21. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Cost is reason why I cant see them developing a turbo which would be a 3rd engine for c8. And thats in addition to e motor. Just keep existing 2 engines, team them up w e motors and that gives 4 c8 models. Base ls5, z06 ls6, eray ls5 with e motor, and zr1 ls6 with e motor.

Its not like gm has all this profit to throw around on ice engines just before they're going extinct. I would guess ls6 will be last fresh design ice from gm ever.

k wright likes this.
  22. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Great thoughts on that. We are just arm chairing the hell out of this. It will be very interesting to see where they take it. The V6 Cadillac motors are already developed but the LT1 has been developed for the chassis.

23. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    C8 Stingray engine is LT2
    C8 Z06 engine is LT6
    C8 e-Ray engine is assumed to be LT2 with electric assist
    C8 ZR1 engine is assumed to a Twin Turbo variant of the LT6, called "LT7" or something.

k wright, thecarreaper, Piper and 2 others like this.
  24. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Finally got a ballpark estimate from Furman today. Repeat customer on the Z06 list since about a year ago and I'm looking at minimum 3 more years. I'm fine with that, sucks, but at least I have a C8 in the meantime. 4 years. Dayum.

Thecadster likes this.
  25. Richard Frankie

Jun 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Frankie
    My order for the ZO6 is in with Furman, as well. Patiently waiting my 3 years!! Looking to add the enjoyment of a F430 to fill the gap in time!!

VAF84 likes this.