F430 Loose Mirror | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F430 Loose Mirror

Discussion in '360/430' started by indywarrior, Sep 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Well, every Porsche I have had required little things here and there. BMWs seem to need less, I have owned 9 of them and can't remember having to do much.

I think it's inversely related to the size of production, if you are building 250,000 units, the cost per unit to engineer every detail to perfection is inconsequential. If you are building a few thousand units a year, you have to pick and choose where to spend your resources. Ferrari seems to choose to make gorgeous cars that have great engines, sophisticated suspensions, and lousy radios, poor air conditioners and sticky plastic trim.

I can live with it, as I enjoy the car for what it is. Let's face it, if you were married to Megan Fox ( or insert hot woman of your choice), would it bother you if she couldn't cook?

Cheers, Ron.

2. ParaBounce

ParaBounce Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    This really works. Took me 20 minutes to do both mirrors and I cleaned out all the gunk in the hinge. Probably every 430 will have this issue due to interior of mirror design. Save yourself 3k for 2 new mirrors and do it. Then fold them as little as possible in the future. The small screw heads inside the mirrors are easy to strip, so I would not recommend using anything to lock them or you will strip the heads next time you need to adjust.

3. ed03feng

ed03feng Rookie

Jun 19, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin F
    It worked for me as well. Thank you for saving me $$$ and 3 days spent at the dealership.

4. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    good advice!!!

5. jakeg104

jakeg104 Karting

Jan 8, 2014
    TX
    Full Name:
    Jake G

Same issue on my car, this worked perfectly, thanks all!

6. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I just did this DIY to fix my loose side mirrors and I took some pics to help others that might think this is hard to do...it is really easy took approx 5min per side with a Chapman micro ratchet.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Loosen and remove the 3 torx screws. I used my car cover to protect the paint and laid the mirror against the car. I had to pull a tiny bit of wiring out from the mirror housing to be able to get the mirror where I could access the 3 small screws.
    All 3 small screws were loose.
    I loosened them out part way one at a time and added a dab of red nail paint to the bottom of each screw head then tightened them up.
    I re attached the mirror into its housing and using my iPhone as a flashlight looked underneath to line up the 3 holes for the torx screws.
    I used my torx bit to put each one in loose, then when all 3 were started I tightened them all up...repeat on the other side and now both mirrors are tight no movement whatsoever.
    Mine were only loose to the touch not yet to the point of vibrating as I drove the car.
    Hope the pics and step by step help others to tackle this easy DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Nice pics! Hopefully this thread is linked to the diy thread.

KBR54 likes this.
  8. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Worked like a charm for me, no longer loose. Much appreciated!

KBR54 likes this.
  9. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I have this same issue that was supposed to have been done previously at a dealer, now it's up to me. Great info!

10. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    After numerous tightenings over the years,I had to replace my driver side mirror - everything became completely stripped out. $2000 for part ,painting and install

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at the previous pictures, i take it the threads in this rubber ring are failing ? Is it possible to remove this rubber ring and replace it with say a machined Nylon one instead.
    Mine has been tightened up but i have not had it in bits to see the construction.
    Is the black part the bush or a metal ring around a white rubber bush ?

12. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Just went down and took mine apart. No stripped screws, no issue, just needed to be snugged up. Thanks for the great info!!!

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Sorry to revive an old thread here but my drivers mirror is a little loose. Was thinking of tackling this over the weekend or next weekend.

Has anyone tried “purple” Loctite 222 which is the low strength stuff instead of red nail polish mentioned in this thread and did it keep the screws from loosening up in the future?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

14. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Hey Corey, I don’t think the purple Locktite will work. The screws go into a dome shaped block of rubber. As far as I know, Locktite won’t work on rubber.

You’ll have to tighten up the screws, or go to larger screws. I used the fingernail polish on top of the screw heads and rubber block after the screws were tightened. I was hoping it would lock them in place. The screws are small wood screws or something similar, that will bite into the rubber piece.

My mirror is still tight after 2 years.

15. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Just to be clear, there are the screws under the mirror that holds the two parts together. Those were fine on my car. The screws that go into the rubber block are hidden between the two mirror halves.

16. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Is the rubber block stuff replaceable? Or did anyone try using RTV on the screws then since it’s rubber like?

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Mine was a very hard rubber, maybe it hardened with age. I didn’t try to replace it or look for anyone that had one.
    I was able to tighten my screws about a full turn, which tightened the mirror.

18. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    It would be nice to see a rubber block out on its own to see if it can be made

19. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I am getting ready to remove my door cards on my 360 so I can install a set of CS style carbon mirrors. Are you saying I can get access to the 3 mounting screws without removing the door card? That would be nice!!!!

20. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Nevermind!!! I'm OLD!

21. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    remove the tweeter speaker holder and the mirror mounting screws to the door are behind the speakers.

22. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Great thread - FChat rocks! I have a loose mirror on the passenger side (2005 F430) and will tackle it using the information here. Probably caused by vibration (I track my car) or the fact that I fold the passenger side mirror when the car is in the garage. Usually don't fold the driver's side and it is firm (knock on wood).

colorfull likes this.
  23. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Don’t fold it in. It weakens the damper. Take it apart and tighten the screws. Put lock tite on the three screws that hold the circular rubber damper and re assemble. Don’t force the damper screws or you will strip the them out of he potmetal that they screw into.